BUDDAH RECORDS

2»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Phill, who is that in your avatar? Please tell me it's not Boney M.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    New Birth - Blind Baby

Such a dope record, I'd say it's their best. "Grandaddy" and "Blind Man" are the real standouts.

As for the subsidiaries, Hot Wax is great if a bit repetitive, Invictus is solid, though Chairmen of the Board never really caught my ear, and I tend not to find great stuff in the field on Kama Sutra.

• i don't know much about Buddah, but a lot of the vinyl I have on that label is pretty cheap vinyl (bad quality)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

no idea. Boney M. would be DOPE though!!!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

no idea. Boney M. would be DOPE though!!!

Yes, that IS Boney M.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Wasn't Baby Huey on Buddha?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Wasn't Baby Huey on Buddha?
    I think Curtom was distributed by Buddah, all the UK/NZ press Curtis Mayfield is on Buddah.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    New Birth - Blind Baby

Such a dope record, I'd say it's their best. "Grandaddy" and "Blind Man" are the real standouts.

I think New Birth's "Dream Merchant" (on Buddah) is far superior to Jerry Butler's original, just like their "I Can Understand It" tops Bobby Womack's. Their "Dream Merchant" is way more urgent - and from the sound of things, the drummer was feeling the singer's pain.

As for the subsidiaries, Hot Wax is great if a bit repetitive, Invictus is solid, though Chairmen of the Board never really caught my ear

Invictus was distributed by Capitol and later CBS, but not Buddah.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    No subsidiaries? That really puts a limit on it. I'm not really into that late 60s Kasenatz fruitgum ohio express stuff.

I love the Kasenetz-Katz stuff, but I could pass on the Fat Boys. (Did you know that the Fat Boys' label, Sutra Records, was basically Buddah continued into the '80s? Check it out, I think the Fat Boys actually appear on the Buddah box set...)

Couldn't get into that Walter Heath. Schnoozy.

I don't have his album, but I did find a 45 of "Soul Mate"/"I Am Your Leader." As I recall, I didn't hate those two songs, but they didn't stand out either. (The cornball titles didn't help...)

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    The Modulations "It's Rough Out here" LP is one of my all time favourites.

For a rarity on the label I would go for Charisma Band: "Ain't nothing like your love" 45. Fantastic anthemic 70's soul.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=charisma+band&x=8&y=4