416!

HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Yo,Just got back from Toronto & I wanna say mucho thanks to K & Miss B for their gracious hospitality. Thank you for taking me around & showing me the best of your town. Y'all made this a great trip. I hope we'll be seeing you both in Mtl soon...Posting pics tomorrow...If anyone happens to bump into Amanda Walsh on Queen St, tell her to hit me on the PM.Peaceh

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It was a pleasure. There is still so much more to see...and eat! We didn't even hit the East end. No matter - you are coming back soon and we'll do the rest of the town and hopefully there will be another party to keep you at til 6 AM.

Caribana is at the end of July...keep it in mind. The amount hot girls triple in number!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Call me a hater but you don't want to come here Carabana. Shit's a fucking mess. I used to go downtown and kick it but man, it's WAY too crowded now. God love the islands but I can't stand the crowds. Too much for me.... If you like that spring break type feel then ya...get up here. Otherwise avoid it like the plague.

Call me a hater but you don't want to come here Carabana. Shit's a fucking mess. I used to go downtown and kick it but man, it's WAY too crowded now. God love the islands but I can't stand the crowds. Too much for me.... If you like that spring break type feel then ya...get up here. Otherwise avoid it like the plague.

hater!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Man foolio you need to stay out in the wilderness where you belong. lol

It definitely pales in comparison to the University Avenue days since they moved it to the Lakeshore.

I think we???re too used to it here and the Spring Break feel of the convoy of rented SUVs with open rears (I know ??? ayo) and chicks on display is pretty weak. But I like that the city changes for the weekend and for folks who don???t live here or have something similar in their city (though I know Montreal does) ??? it could potentially be a lot of fun.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Sorry I couldn't make it, everybody I was w/ at the bbq got too drunk to go anywhere. But like I was telling HAZ, the best food in toronto is definitely Chinese, and the best spots for that are all in the boroughs (Scar, Markham, Richmond Hill). Also, here are a few noteworthy freebies going down the next month or so...

ps: I say nay to dudes unscrewing budget frames off the license plates for caribana.

Feist (Paris/Toronto)

?Friday July 1st

9:30 pm

?Double Juno Award winner Feist started her career opening for The Ramones & The Tragically Hip. Then she went on to collaborate with roommate Peaches and the ever expanding Broken Social Scene. Now her solo career has taken off, and her sultry voice is fast becoming internationally recognized as the new soul of contemporary folk music! artist website

Platinum Pied Pipers (Detroit)

?Friday July 8th

This Detroit hip-hop and Soul act/project is the creation of Wajeed - a founding member of Slum Village and producer to Dwele and Jay Dee. Their self-titled Ubiquity debut dropped in May and features appearances from Spacek, Jay-Dee and more! artist website

The Quantic Soul Orchestra featuring Alice Russel (UK)

Saturday July 9th

Will Holland (aka Quantic) wanted to ???put something back??? and then ???put the funk back in it???! That???s how QSO was born... rough, raw and real, with a deep funk sound, heavy bass lines cracking drums and a full horn section. This is their North American debut and only show on the continent! artist website

Saturday July 16

READY OR NOT album launch party (CBC natebizzo raer)

featuring live: BILLY ROBINSON & THE REFERENCE 4

+ special guest: KATHRYN MOSES

& DJ John Kong

Harbourfront Centre, Brigatine Room, Toronto, 11pm. Free Admission.

Kid Koala (Montreal)

?Saturday July 23rd

Internationally acclaimed Montreal turntablist Kid Koala was signed to Ninja Tune in 1995 - the first North American artist on this prestigious label! Shortly thereafter, the gigs started flowing - opening for the Beastie Boys & Radiohead. Since then, he???s been working on illustrated books and of course, cementing his world class skills! Who else can work four decks so seamlessly?

Lizz Fields (USA)

?Monday August 1st

3:00 pm

Classically trained at the famed Philadelphia Creative and Performing Arts School with the likes of Amel Larrieux and The Roots, Fields??? captivating vocals bridge the gap between jazzy soul and electronica.

The Last Poets (USA)

?Monday August 1st

4:30 pm

The "godfathers of rap" bring us their revolutionary blend of politics, music and spoken word. Their latest release ???When We Come Together: The Tribute Album??? features appearances from the new school of progressive wordsmiths - Dead Prez, Erykah Badu, Common and Kanye West.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    damn you folls making me wish I was Canadian holy fuk

• Kid Koala (Montreal)
    ?Saturday July 23rd
    Internationally acclaimed Montreal turntablist Kid Koala was signed to Ninja Tune in 1995 - the first North American artist on this prestigious label! Shortly thereafter, the gigs started flowing - opening for the Beastie Boys & Radiohead. Since then, he???s been working on illustrated books and of course, cementing his world class skills! Who else can work four decks so seamlessly?

Check out my Footprints party that same nite for some good music.
    Sounds: Shitty Latin, Jazz, Funk, Soul and new music that sounds old and shitty.
    How much: $5er
    Djs: Jason Palma, Stuart and MySelfGeneralEclectic

*ps: i can work 2 decks better than Koala can work his 4...
    not bragging, just sayin.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

*ps: i can work 2 decks better than Koala can work his 4...
    not bragging, just sayin.

oh schnaaps!

plaese to post link to your musics?

saying

• slushslush 691 Posts
    dude is serious with the 45 mixes!!!!!
    im a put footprints in my mind planner
    good looking out

• Options
    Turning Point with A MAn Called Warick(England/BAthurst) and Prince Budgster (Scarborough/Soulstrut)

Saturday June 9th at The Gladstone Hotel 1214 Queen St West

10:00ish pm

Come to where Will (Quantic) wants to be (and likely will be right after his gig). Quite possibly the hottest party in town gettin down to vintage latin, calypso, ska, afro/caribbean funk, reggae and just about everything else we can weave in between. No need for a sweater (talkin' to you, MAck) - it gets hot.

K.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    damn you folls making me wish I was Canadian holy fuk

Toronto is the hype, for sho!!! I love that city (as a visitor, anyway)!!! I've had a great time everytime I've gone there.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    im catching the anti-balas concert this thursday in the t.dot at the phoenix, should but a great sounding blast!!! can't wait. next thurs catching pbwolf and madlib.

• Options
    Ohh, and I'm running reggae oldies this Saturday night (JUne 25th) with fellow gentlemen CHuck Boom and Jeremiah at Thymeless (355 College at Augusta), too.

K

• Turning Point with A MAn Called Warick(England/BAthurst) and Prince Budgster (Scarborough/Soulstrut)

Saturday June 9th at The Gladstone Hotel 1214 Queen St West
    10:00ish pm

Come to where Will (Quantic) wants to be (and likely will be right after his gig). Quite possibly the hottest party in town gettin down to vintage latin, calypso, ska, afro/caribbean funk, reggae and just about everything else we can weave in between. No need for a sweater (talkin' to you, MAck) - it gets hot.

K.

Yes! Cannot forget this one of course. Come see K select the finest abstract funky reggae vibes! Man's collection is getting fierce boy!

btw: the date is Sat, July 09th

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    But like I was telling HAZ, the best food in toronto is definitely Chinese, and the best spots for that are all in the boroughs (Scar, Markham, Richmond Hill).

This is part true... But dun count out spots like Kom Juh Yuen. Where $5.00 can fill you with some wicked soup and so much food...

Plus, the lil fortune cookie spin out the bowl always gets me back...

But I'm all about Korean food right now... The broiled bulgogi at Buk Chang Dong Soon To Fu is fucking doppppeeeee

Damn... I'm hungry...

Glad you had a good time in the City I call home!

Oh and K & Missbassie are really great people...