~~~"Hipster" DJ Ethics Conversation~~~

Comments

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I saw Mixmaster Mike about 4 years ago at a show camel put on. I had a great time.

Thank you Camel for promoting that show.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    So people are more conccerned about the title as "world renowned DJ's" than the cigg endorsement?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It would be much hipper if all those people in the ad had dick noses like Joe.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    So people are more conccerned about the title as "world renowned DJ's" than the cigg endorsement?

I'm more concerned about cigarette companies padding the pockets of policy makers than DJs.

It is not the job of entertainers (especially fringe entertainers like those on this flyer) to set a moral example with the endorsements they accept.

The bigger question that this flyer raises: Is it worth the money they were paid by Camel to have to appear on the corniest flyer evar??

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    By the way, "Roxy Cottontail" is an obvious play on words of "Oxycottin." Criticizing her for doing a Camel party after that seems a bit silly, no?

I really don't see why this is even worth talking about. People have such chips on their shoulders about these "celebrity DJs" but it is what it is and they are who they are. There's obviously an audience for them and that's fine. It's not an audience that most of us are really all that concerned in cultivating and yet this board can't go a week without bringing these types of DJs up.

Who so much blah blah blah

b/w

WHO CARES?

-e

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Thank god rappers would never endorse a product harmful to one's health.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Drinks, ciggs, tupperware, they??re all evil, but as long as the opportunity to gatecrash and have a good time is there, I honestly don??t care who sponsors the thing.

That said, this event doesn??t look like the kind of thing I??d go to, plus I??ve hardly ever seen a brand so clumsily promoted in an ad before. It looks extremely staged, and is way too obvious.

This is not hip in any way outside Vegas.

- J

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    letting cigarette companies use you in an ad like this is definitely way worse than 'being a celebrity dj'

Drinks, ciggs, tupperware, they??re all evil, but as long as the opportunity to gatecrash and have a good time is there, I honestly don??t care who sponsors the thing.

BAN

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Pretty much. I could care less who endorses cigarettes as long as it's not aimed at children. If you're an adult, and you don't know or care that smoking causes all manner of fatal diseases, you're welcome to your emphysema and cancer.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Pretty much. I could care less who endorses cigarettes as long as it's not aimed at children. If you're an adult, and you don't know or care that smoking causes all manner of fatal diseases, you're welcome to your emphysema and cancer.
    this is aimed at 'children', or at least teenagers

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ~~~I am surprised to see a discussion on the ethics of selling out.

In the 60s and 70s this was a big deal. The biggest classic rock names took no endorsement $$$ or only endorsed the instrument companies,Fender Moog...

Today, I thought, the most indy of indy musicians are actively looking for a clothing company to rep. If you can land a gear or car or booze endorsement all the better.

So lets talk about the ethics of selling out. Which of these are ok to endorse, and which means selling out? Why?
    Cigarettes
    Alcohol
    Car
    Chain store
    Fast food
    Clothes
    Gear

~~~

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    If you're serious about the "ethical" questions involved here, I would say that as far as cigarette advertising is concerned, this is fairly ethical. The target audience seems to me to be people who are over 21, like to party, and are already fairly likely to smoke alreadyWHITE FOLKS[/b]. It seems to me to be more of a brand equity campaign whose ultimate goal is probably to convince people who already smoke to holler at some Camels.

Needless to say, this is not a party I would attend.

-e

I use to get a worked up over shit like this, then I started following the sage and spiritua-like advice of The Great Dame Dash:

Don't Get Mad, Get Hustin'

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

BAN

Take what I say lightly, I??ve used tupperware on many a festive occassion. Yo.

- J

this is aimed at 'children', or at least teenagers

What makes you say that? And I'm being completely serious-I have no idea where this ad has appeared, so I don't have any context for who the target audience might be.

This is what used to be hip...

Again with the old man steez, but what the hell is wrong with you youngsters nowadays? Y'all seem to think that y'all are entitled to everything, yet responsible for nothing.

Again with the old man steez, but what the hell is wrong with you youngsters nowadays? Y'all seem to think that y'all are entitled to everything, yet responsible for nothing.

Who's this aimed at?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I imagine that folks would draw the line somewhere in terms of endorsements...it's subjective, right? Personally, I've turned down gigs that involved tobacco money (but I'm also not a working DJ so it's not like my rent depends on shit like this) but I can't say that EVERYTHING I do in life doesn't have negative consequences somewhere down the line.

That said, I've never trusted the kind of relativism that goes, "well, if you won't do A but you do B, isn't that hypocritical?" since really, what people are trying to do is backdoor a clause that allows them to do ANYTHING without fear of critique.

If DJs want to take tobacco money for a gig, it's not an innocent choice. Doesn't mean you shouldn't cash the check but own it, at least.

Who's this aimed at?

Anyone who doesn't care who happens to be sponsering an event as long as they get to see something good for free.

And please tie that in with my critique (in another thread) of those who think that all music should be available for a free download.

Gimme, gimme, gimme...now look how cool I am for doing nothing but taking...I'm so fuckin' sick of this all-too-prevalent, and entirely irresponsible attitude.

Granted, it's my grey hairs talking...but still.

Who's this aimed at?

Anyone who doesn't care who happens to be sponsering an event as long as they get to see something good for free.

And please tie that in with my critique (in another thread) of those who think that all music should be available for a free download.

Gimme, gimme, gimme...now look how cool I am for doing nothing but taking...I'm so fuckin' sick of this all-too-prevalent, and entirely irresponsible attitude.

Granted, it's my grey hairs talking...but still.

Oh, OK. I thought it was in response to someone in this thread, but I couldn't figure out who.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Those promo's are no joke. I was at a nas concert and signed to camel promotion team to get friend another free pack of smokes. 2 years later i still receive all this camel swag about once every 2 months. they're some persistant cutthoat marketers. but alas i would say no go to this whole scheme...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

BAN

Take what I say lightly, I??ve used tupperware on many a festive occassion. Yo.

- J

Motherf^ck Tupperware. Ruined the scene, IMO.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Those promo's are no joke. I was at a nas concert and signed to camel promotion team to get friend another free pack of smokes. 2 years later i still receive all this camel swag about once every 2 months. they're some persistant cutthoat marketers. but alas i would say no go to this whole scheme...

Camel sends me like a pound of paper in advertisements with enough ink to paint a whole room. It's insane. I never even signed up for it.

I can thank Marbolo (sp) for a snazzy red jumpsuit that I keep in the car in case that 1,000-year flood hits.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I imagine that folks would draw the line somewhere in terms of endorsements...it's subjective, right? Personally, I've turned down gigs that involved tobacco money (but I'm also not a working DJ so it's not like my rent depends on shit like this) but I can't say that EVERYTHING I do in life doesn't have negative consequences somewhere down the line.

That said, I've never trusted the kind of relativism that goes, "well, if you won't do A but you do B, isn't that hypocritical?" since really, what people are trying to do is backdoor a clause that allows them to do ANYTHING without fear of critique.

If DJs want to take tobacco money for a gig, it's not an innocent choice. Doesn't mean you shouldn't cash the check but own it, at least.
    to me letting yrself get put onto advertisements is a whole nother level of the MORALLY AMBIGUOUS SELLOUT because when you do a 21+ show, its a 21+ show (still suspect cause these companies are basically evil but you can make the 'adults' argument) but when yr talking about advertisements in a magazine you are actually appearing to sell this lifestyle and to me thats just a bad look all the way around. If you don't think teenagers don't look at shit like that yr kidding yrself (not you odub but 'you' generally).

the cigarette industry sucks. endorsing alcohol doesnt bother me but i dont see how people can still defend cigarette companies after all these years and revelations and the huge number of people they've killed

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    By the way, "Roxy Cottontail" is an obvious play on words of "Oxycottin." Criticizing her for doing a Camel party after that seems a bit silly, no?
    EDGY

i dont see how people can still defend cigarette companies after all these years and revelations and the huge number of people they've killed

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'll defend tobacco companies that isn't on the payroll or a self-deluding smoker.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not clear on how alcohol is less problematic than tobacco. The latter industry are bigger liars but the former, as far as substances go, is a lot worse for you health-wise, no?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

to me letting yrself get put onto advertisements is a whole nother level of the MORALLY AMBIGUOUS SELLOUT because when you do a 21+ show, its a 21+ show (still suspect cause these companies are basically evil but you can make the 'adults' argument) but when yr talking about advertisements in a magazine you are actually appearing to sell this lifestyle and to me thats just a bad look all the way around. If you don't think teenagers don't look at shit like that yr kidding yrself (not you odub but 'you' generally).

the cigarette industry sucks. endorsing alcohol doesnt bother me but i dont see how people can still defend cigarette companies after all these years and revelations and the huge number of people they've killed

I'm shocked that this is an actual debate.

Alcohol + cigarettes go hand-in-hand with the clurb--I just can't believe anybody would object to DJs getting some of that cigarette money.