thoughts on wallpaper?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
do people use wallpaper anymore? do u have have wallpaper where u rest? i'm getting a new place and was contemplating wall colors"oooh beige...oooh off color pearl white" when i just considered the possibility of wallpaper. it reminds me of the place i first lived in as a kid with a 70s kind of vibe.pros and cons?i heard it lasts longer than paint and is easy to clean and replace?i'm planning to live in the place for like 10 years (its an appartment) so its not like i have to be concerned about whether my tastes coordinate with a buyer's taste. if anyone has wallpaper, could u take a pic and post it? i'd like to see some classy examplesthanks!

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I would only recommend wall paper if you have plaster walls.

We have a couple rooms in our house where the walls are pretty fuct (bulges & veins) -- so we put up grass cloth wall paper. Pretty ill if you ask me.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Don't do it! Wallpaper is a pain in the ass to remove if you want to paint later on down the road. I just stripped wallpaper in my kitchen and I wish the previous owners had just painted. The project would have taken 1/6 of the time.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    My girl is getting some for her shop, so we've spent WAY too much time looking at the stuff. I agree with Raj, it's a pain in the ass... but it looks great if you get the right stuff. From what I understand it's becoming really popular in Europe, especially with "trendy" spaces like restaurants, hotels, etc. You should check out some Euro design mags/website to see it done well.

I lived in a place that had some gnarly wallpaper that greatly assisted acid trips... good times.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    They are making some really cool wallpaper these days, I think I've seen a couple
    ads in home mags like Ready Made for some really well designed prints.
    The removal is indeed a bitch, I've done it on a couple jobs.
    Sometimes it's relatively easy, other times you have to get a steamer and that
    is NO FUN.
    Imagine if your entire room was covered with one of those really stubborn old price tags like
    on a record!
    AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Don't do it! Wallpaper is a pain in the ass to remove if you want to paint later on down the road. I just stripped wallpaper in my kitchen and I wish the previous owners had just painted. The project would have taken 1/6 of the time.

You coulda just painted over it!?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    any sites that have previews of what the wallpaper looks like in a finished room? so far i found

http://www.wallpaperstore.com/scripts/Ro..._Contemp&Page=1

maybe we can have strut paper

for real though, one thing i'm worried about with wallpaper, is does it clash a lot with paintings you put up? like do u have to be careful with frames and shit like that? does it affect your furniture? cause that would be rather backwards thinking...getting furnature based on wallpaper

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    If you don't mind the work wallpaper can add a great deal of texture/ depth/ color... to a room. Try marimekko and Knoll. I'm not seeing a wallcoverings prompt on the Marimekko site but from what I remember it was very similar to their fabric line.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    I would only recommend wall paper if you have plaster walls.

We have a couple rooms in our house where the walls are pretty fuct (bulges & veins) -- so we put up grass cloth wall paper. Pretty ill if you ask me.

You're right, grass cloth wallcovering is ill (and versatile).

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

for real though, one thing i'm worried about with wallpaper, is does it clash a lot with paintings you put up? like do u have to be careful with frames and shit like that? does it affect your furniture? cause that would be rather backwards thinking...getting furnature based on wallpaper

Are you thinking of having some 'busy' design then? Where are you putrting it? Sometimes it looks cool, to only have one wall covered, then you can have a real crazy design.

If you're starting from scratch you wana think about everything working together. Not just the walls and furniture. But if you already have furniture, then you need to build around that, I guess.

Are there any really good interior design forums/sites anyone could recommend.

no, id want something subtle, but it still has a pattern right? i've always wondered about how it affects the art or things surrounding, but thanks for the suggestions!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

If you don't mind the work wallpaper can add a great deal of texture/ depth/ color... to a room. Try Marimekko and Knoll. I'm not seeing a wallcoverings prompt on the Marimekko site but from what I remember it was very similar to their fabric line.

No offence but those are awful. It's wallpaper like that that stopped everyone buying it 20 odd years ago.

Why would you want something like this

When you could have somwthing like this

or this

or any damn thing you can think off..

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It's all about wallpaper on the ceiling b/w do not attempt without a professional.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

If you don't mind the work wallpaper can add a great deal of texture/ depth/ color... to a room. Try Marimekko and Knoll. I'm not seeing a wallcoverings prompt on the Marimekko site but from what I remember it was very similar to their fabric line.

No offence but those are awful. It's wallpaper like that that stopped everyone buying it 20 odd years ago.

Why would you want something like this

When you could have somwthing like this

or this

or any damn thing you can think off..

None taken, and you're right the example shown is... unremarkable. What I like about Knoll is the subtlety, you can acheive depth without challenging the entire room, art etc. Also, I dropped the wrong URL in the Marimekko link above.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Here's my living room.

The walls in my house were in a real bad way so rather than replaster I put this stuff up.
    And I'm real happy with the results, over here in the UK we got 'natural color' over kill, every TV show insists you must have 'natural colors' f*ck that.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Did I mention how unbelievably brilliant this is?

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    Old whack wall paper is super
    I just tore a bunch of it down 3 months ago after I bought this house. Luckily they had used the additive that made it easier to take down, but still not fun in the slightest, steaming it worked well for this first layer, but the glue you just had to get some real hot water on and then a big flat scraper...
    Worth the effort though:
    Picture a border of flowers, apples and baskets:

It went well with our horse shoes, railroad nails, and mustard/gold colored tub!
    Parkz - your wallpaper works great with the style of that room!
    Peace
    Zeb

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I inspect million dollar houses in my area, you will find most of the owners and interior decorators going with a wall paper for its contemporary look and numerous designs.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Here's my living room.

The walls in my house were in a real bad way so rather than replaster I put this stuff up.
    And I'm real happy with the results, over here in the UK we got 'natural color' over kill, every TV show insists you must have 'natural colors' f*ck that.

Hey parkz, I'm in the middle of scouting replacement furniture for the house we're in the middle of buying and, while I'm not sure my girl would ever let me have it, I need to know, where did you get that armchair?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Are you thinking of having some 'busy' design then? Where are you putrting it? Sometimes it looks cool, to only have one wall covered, then you can have a real crazy design.

If you're starting from scratch you wana think about everything working together. Not just the walls and furniture. But if you already have furniture, then you need to build around that, I guess.

Are there any really good interior design forums/sites anyone could recommend.

Yeah, there are beautiful wallpapers around although they can be pretty expensive, particularly the hand printed designs. These days a lot of people choose a really striking design and just then do one wall. MOke knows what he's talking about. All the major fashion designers have home collections.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

These are amazing.

- J

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Check out this wall paper that is "warped" around objects. You can place the warps around doors, light fixtures, switches, etc.

http://www.surrealien.de/

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Here's my living room.

Hey parkz, I'm in the middle of scouting replacement furniture for the house we're in the middle of buying and, while I'm not sure my girl would ever let me have it, I need to know, where did you get that armchair?

I got it of eBay, the make is called something like Laura-shell, I got two of the chairs and the mathcing sofa for about ??420 ,which I think is an amazing deal.
    I think they are cool but just not one of the big indemad designers (like Eames etc) but just as cool I think.

I will get them recovered in a better color oneday.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Here's my living room.

I got it of eBay, the make is called something like Laura-shell, I got two of the chairs and the mathcing sofa for about ??420 ,which I think is an amazing deal.
    I think they are cool but just not one of the big indemad designers (like Eames etc) but just as cool I think.

I will get them recovered in a better color oneday.

Yeah that's a hell of a deal. Thanks for the info, I was kinda suspecting the answer wouldn't be as simple as a high street chain. Ah well, will keep an eye out for something similar.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Just noticed that Photo Issue on your coffee table. Where the fuck is that sneaker-tree?

- J

Check out this wall paper that is "warped" around objects. You can place the warps around doors, light fixtures, switches, etc.

http://www.surrealien.de/

this is insane! thanks for all the suggestions peoples!