1408. (movie strut)

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Another Stephen King Adaptation worthy of some praise. Not trying to hype it up or anything, but geniuinely enjoyed it. Reccomended."Where's the best place I can go to see a Real ghost""The haunted mansion Orlando, Florida."- spidey

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Another Stephen King Adaptation worthy of some praise. Not trying to hype it up or anything, but geniuinely enjoyed it. Reccomended.

"Where's the best place I can go to see a Real ghost"
    "The haunted mansion Orlando, Florida."

- spidey

Really? I wasn't feeling this. The first 30 mins were dope, but for me the horror hinged too much on the main character's personal demons, which were a little trite to me.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The first 30 minutes before he went into the room?

hm.. I guess. I just generally enjoyed the whole thing. But I'm also a big Silent hill 4 fan. Seriously Stephen King, John Cusack and an unknown swedish director could've churned out something way worse.

- spidey

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    The first 30 minutes before he went into the room?

hm.. I guess. I just generally enjoyed the whole thing. But I'm also a big Silent hill 4 fan. Seriously Stephen King, John Cusack and an unknown swedish director could've churned out something way worse.

- spidey

i enjoyed from the moment he entered the room until

***************SPOILERS***************

...the first time a room was transformed into a showcase for a person from his past -- father, wife, dead child, etc -- taunting him about "what could have been." That's what seemed trite and ineffective to me. If it had been 90 nonsensical mins of Goonies with knifes popping up in the mirror and chasing him through crawlspaces, I would have been way more entertained than the "deep" direction it tried to take things.

But that's just me... I'm not a big Stephen King fan in general. Oh, and for me, the dir's previous film "Derailed" was a similar mixture of promise followed by disappointment. That's the one with RZA in an embarassingly menial role.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm not a big stephen king fan generally either, he's had a few fun movie adaptations, and a few real good short storys. 1408, the short story is a bit different then the movie, (no daughter, jewish manager, etc..)I actually felt the persecution of character is the beauty of the concept. Whatever you bring to the room is what the room uses against you. Just like Silent hill, and I'm guessing Hell.

I didn't even hear about Derailed. I'll check into that.

- spidey

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I haven't seen this movie, but Derailed sucked beyond belief. You figure out the movie about half way through, and it wasn't even really good up until that point. I only watched it because it was filmed in Chicago.