teaching-food-strut

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    oh while people are talking food, is it really true avocados are no good for you ?

Where did you read/hear this?

i'm not sure who told me but someone said they are real oily and not that great for you (as far as veggies go).

Well they do have a high "fat" content, but "No Good" for you is a little overboard.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    oh while people are talking food, is it really true avocados are no good for you ?

i'm not sure who told me but someone said they are real oily and not that great for you (as far as veggies go).

Well they do have a high "fat" content, but "No Good" for you is a little overboard.

But the fat is full of Omega 3s. Eaten in conjunction with tomatoes it is superfood. And delicious. PS, salt is also necessary for the body to function. Obviously in reasonable amounts. Food is not a religion.

Food is not a religion.

Sugar is......

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    More of a cartel

More of a cartel

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I could've been a sombaddy.

[existential]I ... could've just ... been... [/existential]

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

But the fat is full of Omega 3s. Eaten in conjunction with tomatoes it is superfood. And delicious. PS, salt is also necessary for the body to function. Obviously in reasonable amounts. Food is not a religion.

eat em, dave. hopefully you got a tree in your front yard. not possible in philly ....sigh

they are high in fat but it is monounsaturated...healthier than saturated fats

it gets sticky trying to classify any food as "good" or "bad" since it is usually not that clear cut

A favorite quick, cheap, healthy, and easy dish for these summer months is a cold salad of bulgur, feta cheese, and cherry tomatoes. I grow the tomatoes, and bulgur is cheap in bulk. Feta could be the sticking point in the price/avialability dept, depending on your locale. chopping up a bit fresh basil is good too. Being a grain, it is filling, it stores and travels well too.

sounds delicious. as batman implied,bulgur is not too easy to get

our sure fire formula is: Affordable, Healthy, Easyto Make, Accessible, Delicious

i'll probably introduce that to my youthworkers though...i try to give them much wider spectrum of things. also cause its a job training program and i hook a lot of them up with catering gigs.

you might want to incorporate a class with a trip to an open market? Teach the kids to buy according to season. First it tastes better, secondly it's cheaper as produce doesn't have to be shipped across the world.

Like right now, we're at the tail end of asparagus season. You can probably still find some for cheap, strawberries too.

hell yes. we've been eating asparagus and strawbeerries all last month. now we are at snap pea season. we are actively tied into a lot of farmer markets.

tortilla soup = awesome idea....i like to get peeps thinking about leftovers
    snack mix w/cereal...we'll def do that this summer. perfect. we do a "spicy popcorn" on occasion that is similar idea

fej...where that at? you a cook for real?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    you might want to incorporate a class with a trip to an open market? Teach the kids to buy according to season. First it tastes better, secondly it's cheaper as produce doesn't have to be shipped across the world.

Like right now, we're at the tail end of asparagus season. You can probably still find some for cheap, strawberries too.

hell yes. we've been eating asparagus and strawbeerries all last month. now we are at snap pea season. we are actively tied into a lot of farmer markets.

tortilla soup = awesome idea....i like to get peeps thinking about leftovers
    snack mix w/cereal...we'll def do that this summer. perfect. we do a "spicy popcorn" on occasion that is similar idea

fej...where that at? you a cook for real?

Tony! I've been eating great since the farmers market opened some weeks back.

Asparagus was first.

Asparagus on an oven sheet or pan
    Drizzle olive oil and kosher salt (or table salt to save $$$)
    Roast at 375o> Till tender
    I also add onions, marinated artichoke hearts or any other nice veggie lying around sometimes.

For the summer we live on pasta and veggies.

Greek version:
    Cucumbers chopped
    onions chopped
    sweet peppers chopped
    tomatoes chopped
    Feta crumbled
    cooked and cooled pasta
    Olive oil salt and pepper
    Mix eat
    Or add:
    grilled chicken
    or add:
    chopped cilantro
    or add:
    chopped basil, crushed garlic, crushed walnuts, parmesan (this weeks version)
    or add:
    Your favorite bottled or homemade salad dressing

Hot version:
    sauteed veggies & pasta (or rice)
    add:
    chopped basil, crushed garlic, crushed walnuts, parmesan
    or add:
    soy sauce, garlic, five spice powder
    or add:
    mixed together soy sauce, grated ginger, crushed garlic, fish sauce (or vinegar) brown sugar and corn starch, beat till a little stiff. Add to veggies and serve over or mixed with pasta or rice. Garnish with thin sliced ginger and sesame oil.

Mexican food is wonderful and easy too. Our lazy decadent meal this winter was trader joes breaded frozen cod tacos.

At the school I work at the Oregon Food Bank does these monthly cooking classes. Families are selected based on need.
    Childcare is provided in the gym.
    The adults (moms) gather in the kitchen and learn and prepare a full meal (salad, starch, main course, dessert). Then everyone eats. Then the families each receive a copy of the recipes and all the food needed to prepare the meal.

http://www.oregonfoodbank.org/ofb_services/food_programs/RecipeContest.html

• sergserg 682 Posts
    this shit is fast and easy to make. some folks might think the tuna and linguine is weird but its dope. I got this recipe off Cooking.com a while back.

Linguine with Tuna, Capers, and Olives

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon dried sage
    1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
    3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest (from 1/2 orange)
    1 tablespoon drained chopped capers
    1/4 cup chopped green olives
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
    2 6-ounce cans tuna packed in olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon wine vinegar
    3/4 pound linguine
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

In a medium frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the garlic, sage, and rosemary and stir until the garlic just starts to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, capers, olives, salt, pepper, and the tuna with its oil. Remove from the heat; stir in the vinegar.

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the linguine until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with the tuna sauce and parsley

TUNA PACKED IN OIL:

Here we use tuna packed in olive oil, and we count on that oil as part of the sauce. If your tuna doesn't have at least one-and-a-half tablespoons of oil per can, add a little more olive oil to make up the difference. Of course, you can use tuna packed in vegetable oil, too, but avoid water-packed tuna at all costs. The flavor, and most of the nutrients for that matter, leach out into the water.

Serves 4

oh shit! thats one of my dads ol head classics. the capers set it off. good call serg

bout to check that link, dan...great thing that they cook with the mamas. do ou know what the turnouts like?

keep the suggestons coming...i'm taking notes

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    bout to check that link, dan...great thing that they cook with the mamas. do ou know what the turnouts like?

Space is limited, 6-8 families I think. I think turn out is 100%. I have not been to one of these classes. I think they are mostly Hispanic (and this year maybe Somalian). These families look to the school for much of their support and particiapate all or most school events. Actually, the school has very good attendance to most events. Also they are very poor.