nuropathy strut

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
anyways, im gunna be serious for a moment. I have googled this various times but I need some halp. Anyways, my dad has a condition calle peripheral nurophathy where he is in constant pain in all of his body. Like not just sissy pain, like crying pain. Anyways, 2 million people or so have this in North America. The main cause is the radioactiveness from x-ray machines in shoe stores in like the 40s (yes im not kidding). Kids would use them a lot to look at there feet inside of the shoe until people found out they were well, really dangerous. Anyways, my dad has this. What im trying to ask if any of you know anyone who has or had this condition and if so, is there any goddamn way to help it?pundit thanks for your help. yeah, shit is serious pain. nothing can really get rid of it. my dad used to stick his feet in a bucket with like hundreds of ice cubes in it except his feet swelled up because of blisters with the ice, yknow. It has killed his nerves so he cant feel certain things. His taste buds have also been affected and not much helps. He went to acupuncture and the woman would literally stick needles INTO his fingers, deep deep deep because nothing really helped and pulled them out and it didnt do shit. Its been a serious ongoing battle, and no im not asking for sympathy or any of that bullshit. The only things that gets rid of his pain momentarily is if you run something up and down his skin. We are thinking of getting a vibrating bed or some ish for him. He loses TONS of sleep on account of this and sometimes he doesent sleep at all.. making his condition worse.

Comments

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    peripheral neuropathy is literally a dysfunction with your nerve transmission at the extremities of your body. Pins and Needles in your fingers and toes is peripheral neuropathy. If you fall asleep on your arm you decrease blood supply so your body tries to tell you to do something about it. It all depends on whats caused it as to whether it will go away or not. If there's some underlying neural condition you need to check that shit, otherwise it may go away with gentle exercise, soft tissue massage etc. It all depends on the specifics. If the shits causing actual pain its called peripheral neuralgia. A lot of people cop trigeminal neuralgia which is pain from the trigeminal nerve that runs through your jaw. unfortunately, with medicine, they haven't really figured out how to cure anything except maybe a broken bone, but they might suggest you spend money on a drug like gabapentin or something.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    anyways, im gunna be serious for a moment. I have googled this various times but I need some halp. Anyways, my dad has a condition calle peripheral nurophathy where he is in constant pain in all of his body.

I am not trying to be flippant, but Googling the correct spelling yields quite a bit of information.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    poor daddy

that sucks

look into finding a holistic nutrapathic dr if "conventional" medicine has failed

vitamins,herbs,massage,homeopathy,traditional chinese medicine,detox,etc

sometimes the alternative path can work when the other one hasn't

good luck kid

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    SuperPoasterTwo
    IN TIME OUT

Reged: 04/28/07

The answer is hidden in your post count.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    tried it.
    i gave my dad a lot of weed and all he said was he felt like he was leaving his body for like 15 min and then the pain was just the same. weve tried everything. herbs, asian special medicine, weed uhhh.. everything. Meditation used to help but it got too severe that he just cant do it anymore.But he has one of the most severe cases that doctors have seen. A lot of his nerves are destroyed as i said before so yeah. I appreciate all yo help. I hope to god it leaves him because it supposedly gets worse as you age

oh and. thanks again for all of your suggestions.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    That truly sucks. My Dad has been suffering from peripheral neuropathy for years, although it's the numbing type, not the pain-inducing type. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you, except to hang in there, do what you have to do for your family, and keep your head up.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Try a different accupuncturist.

Make sure this isn't caused by diabetes (it often is).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thanks for your care though. the worst part is in the past year and back my dad hasnt been the best dad/husband. He finally gets that he was a huge prick and really cant be a husband to my mom on account of the crippling which is pretty hard for the both of them. We have tried various acupuncturists also. I just hope the best, yknow? I want to somehow get them out to the country by the water so they can both just relax. They need that shit in there life. But yeah, thanks for all of yalls support again.