Dealers marking Repress as 'Sealed'

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Shit is corny. Was at the street fair today cause I've found good shit with this dude before and he sets up once a year right on my block. I like the guy and his shit is reasonable and generally in good shape, but calling some repress shit 'sealed' is kinda tough. Seems pretty suspect to me. Me and the other two old timers going through the soul bins were all laughin about the sealed Cymande record for 12 bucks, but if i was younger and a little more green, I might have copped and thought I was getting over. So what say you 'Strut? Straight up dishonest, or just clever marketing?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    were all laughin about the sealed Cymande record for 12 bucks

sealed reissue for $12, a true crime

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    Not at all a big deal--let the man eat, you commie.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    were all laughin about the sealed Cymande record for 12 bucks

sealed reissue for $12, a true crime

Yeah - anything more than $11.99 is a RIP-OFF.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Well they really are sealed though...but I know what you mean. It's what they're not saying.
    I know many stores that mark them sealed to deter people from opening/listening to them.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I love stores that have "Sealed" sections, regardless of genre. By that I mean, I don't.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The amount of people who can still be fooled by obvious reissues is beyond belief.

I don't see how that's a dealer's fault, though.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    It's what they're not saying.

like women

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If it had been OG one of us would be posting about how we "got over" on the stupid dealer.

It's only cool for buyers to get over, fuck a seller.

To add on to Rich's post:

Seller with no raers and a bunch of reissues: "He's trying to get over, yo!"

Seller with no raers and no reissues: "That spot is picked, yo!"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    To add on to Rich's post:

Seller with no raers and a bunch of reissues: "He's trying to get over, yo!"

Seller with no raers and no reissues: "That spot is picked, yo!"

Seller with appropriately priced raers: "This schitt is a rip, yo!"

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    calling some repress shit 'sealed' is kinda tough

This is a pet peev for me, sealed is a term for old records that should have been opened
    years ago.
    If they are brand new, they should be sealed, you just got them from the distributer.
    Mark'em Reissue.
    Who get's "fooled" by these?
    Even a sealed record from back in the day looks old.

Who get's "fooled" by these?

Exactly!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    sealed is a term for old records that should have been opened
    years ago.

according to whom? If it's sealed, it's sealed, old or new.

Yeah I mean... if you buy a reissue and then you are like, "well it was marked 'sealed' so I thought it was an original!" uh....

Of course doing this on ebay would be an entirely different story.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Me and the other two old timers

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

It's only cool for buyers to get over

Isn't this kind of the way we all want capitalism to work, in general. Sellers offer goods and services at a mark up, but (hopefully) dont misrepresent what they're offering. Buyers look for the best deal, and spend money when they think they've found it. My point was simply that advertising something that should be sealed as "SEALED!" is toeing the line of dishonesty. Its not a bad price for a reish, and I have no problem with dealers charging whatever they want if they think someone will pay it. I'm not saying its blatantly shady, thats why I posed the question. I'm just saying, 'sealed' implies that its an OG, and tho i personally know better, to me that's kind of a bad look.

Isn't this kind of the way we all want capitalism to work, in general. Sellers offer goods and services at a mark up, but (hopefully) dont misrepresent what they're offering. Buyers look for the best deal, and spend money when they think they've found it. My point was simply that advertising something that should be sealed as "SEALED!" is toeing the line of dishonesty. Its not a bad price for a reish, and I have no problem with dealers charging whatever they want if they think someone will pay it. I'm not saying its blatantly shady, thats why I posed the question. I'm just saying, 'sealed' implies that its an OG, and tho i personally know better, to me that's kind of a bad look.

Quit being so damn reasonable.
    It makes it near-impossible to CLON.

I really think that's just in your mind bro, at least the dishonesty aspect of it. Most dealers mark records "Sealed" so that people won't open them. At least, that's my 2 cents.

Most dealers mark records "Sealed" so that people won't open them. At least, that's my 2 cents.

Yeah, I'll co-sign on that. We had "sealed - do not open"
    stickers we used to put on any SS LP, OG or re-pop, at my
    old store. It was always comedy when some dude would open
    one and be like "what?" when I was like "what the fuck?"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    years ago.

Exactly.

It's a little different when you're buying blind on the net though.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    years ago.

That's just how I think of it.

What's sounds like something you'd say:

"Yo found a Skull Snaps, sealed!"

"Yo found a Skull Snaps, sealed reissue!"