Random Sunday afternoon thoughts

1235»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oh my gosh - yesterday was like the perfect Sunday.

Had Italian eggplant sandwiches slathered in tomato sauce and hot peppers for lunch and then went to a little reggae record sale where I picked up some beautiful music and played Ludi while 45s played on a portable. Came home to Sunday spaghetti dinner and then read and listened to my new records and then to bed.

My not-so-random thought is that I hope this is what life will be like when I'm old.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I hadn't gone bicycling in a good decade when my girlfriend's friend invited me to come along with the both of them on a borrowed bike...it was an unusually nice day for an October in Chicago, and we musta pedaled a good ten miles (I can hear you now: "that's nothing, I could go for 100 miles and feel no pain!"), including a stop at the lakefront...it was a big ole speed bike too, and once I got going, I almost left the two of them in the dust...I'd almost forgotten what a high bicycling can be...we'd be pedaling through these industrial areas and I felt like I was racing the sun...I'm definitely eyeing getting a new bike soon...

• Just yesterday I was out bicycling when that bizarre intro to Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" came to mind. You know, that weird dialogue where he's trying to impress some girl with his knowledge of different languages while the band plays this salsa rhythm in the background. He starts out HOLLERING in some foreign tongue, and then starts rapping in this bedroom voice about the many languages he happens to speak while the lady in question just says "yes."

And then the song kicks in.

And as best as I can tell, the lyrics have nothing to do with that weird verbal exchange that just passed.

Every now and then, Stevie will say something absurd on his records, but at least the monologues on "Sweet Little Girl" and "Do I Do" commented on the music in some way. But that "skit" that opened "Don't You Worry..." came straight from the corner of 18th and Nowhere. All together now: WTF???

Personally, I kinda like Stevie's goofy moments. But since everybody seems to be falling all over themselves praising his six-album heyday*** from the seventies when he could do no wrong, I'm surprised this hasn't come up...

[color:red]***Where I'm Coming From
    Music Of My Mind
    Talking Book
    Innervisions
    Fulfillingness' First Finale
    Songs In The Key Of Life

I love that intro, it's hilarious. He's trying to speak spanish.

Been going through some old threads (as usual)...

Thank God the Soul Strut trend towards "gentle music" didn't really catch on.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like the way this is working out.

I like the way this is working out.

This thread deserves to run as long as "Rep Yo' Fave Popeye's Side Order."

Just got through writing a Porter Wagoner obit for a magazine blog, which got me to thinking: how come nobody has bootlegged the radio transcription of James Brown's 1979 appearance on the Grand Ole Opry? (Which Porter was responsible for?)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've listened to a song about 30 times in a row. It's by my friend Ralph's band The Jai-Alai Savant and the song is called "Sugar Free." I was initially just listening to Suga Free the California rapper, but this song came on and now it makes me so happy.

I love music. If I didn't have it I don't know what I would do.

I love music. If I didn't have it I don't know what I would do.

Yes.

Which reminds me of this quote,

Sigmund Freud professed himself a fan of art but found music without pleasure because some "turn of mind in me rebels against being moved by a thing without knowing why I am thus affected and what it is that affects me."

from a review I read this weekend about Musicophilia - Tales of Music and the Brain. Yet another questionable product of Freud's brain...this mystery is one of the best things about music.

I've listened to a song about 30 times in a row. It's by my friend Ralph's band The Jai-Alai Savant and the song is called "Sugar Free."

Ah yes, Ralph. Cool guy, I always bump into him around town, he's quite the scenester, with as many DJ gigs as shows with his band.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, he's really done well in The Chi since he's been there. I've known Ralph for about 20 years, best dude ever.

Yeah, he's really done well in The Chi since he's been there.[/b] I've known Ralph for about 20 years, best dude ever.

Been "there." Ah, okay! For a minute there I thought you lived in the Chi yourself (since Ralph is so ubiquitous 'round here)!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, he's really done well in The Chi since he's been there.[/b] I've known Ralph for about 20 years, best dude ever.

Been "there." Ah, okay! For a minute there I thought you lived in the Chi yourself (since Ralph is so ubiquitous 'round here)!

Haha, nah we're both Philadelphia Mastodons.

There are eight million stories in the big city, and this is mine.[/b]

Song that's really killing me right now: "Baby, Baby All The Time," the 1964 low-rider soul classic by the Superbs. The intro is their female singer making the statement you see in boldface up there, and that is one hell of a way to kick off a record. Wonder if that clip of them on American Bandstand is still on Youtube? Probably isn't...

Okay, now I'm in the middle of playing it for the third time in a row...according to the iTunes, I've already spun this song 20 times as it is...we will see how soon before this makes it into the Top 25 Most Played...now I gotta get some work done!

Can you post it please?

• Can you post it please?

Dang! Can't see/hear it...will have to wait to get another machine that doesn't block YouTube.
    Thanks!

That was very very nice. The piano interlude especially so. I'm at the store and can hear it on that machine - I will squeeze in a few more listens before we close up.
    sigh

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

• I'm listening to Demon Fuzz's Afreaka! and noticed that they do a cover of the Electric Flag's "Another Country," but two of the band members sneakily assumed writer's credits...

• I'm listening to Demon Fuzz's Afreaka! and noticed that they do a cover of the Electric Flag's "Another Country," but two of the band members sneakily assumed writer's credits...

nah, i take that back, ron polte gets the proper credit on the label, but the cover sez it was penned by a couple of band members

Why the hell won't some of these stores stock Archway chocolate chip cookies? They have like every exotic flavor known to man, but when you go searching for just plain, basic c.c., it's become extinct all of a sudden. From convenience stores to large supermarkets. Got a serious cookie jones earlier today, yet the closest store somehow only had ONE chocolate chip package (sugar free). But I could OD on lemon merengue custard granola Archway if I wanted to! Bogus.

Over the weekend, I was watching a little bit of this show on the local PBS affiliate, Hidden Chicago. One segment showed these old painted signs for defunct products that you can still see on the side of buildings. To me that's the best kind - it's one thing to see an old ad for a product that is still in business. You can still drink Coca-Cola even if the logo has been altered and the slogan is dated ("Coke adds life"). But I love seeing the ads for products that stopped existing a long time ago, like Joe Louis Milk ("A Naturally Good Thang").

When I was in college in the late eighties, I remember a building on Adams and Wabash being torn down to make a car park. While construction was going on, there was this PREHISTORIC ad for a circus that was exposed for a while. It's long since been torn down, but it still blows my mind to see things like this. Just like when Tower Records, on that same street, went out of business in late '06. It was then that I noticed that after all these years, the first-floor directory still titled it Rose Records, in this archaic-looking 1960's font, referring to the record store that was there before Tower took over.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    random thoughts from today:

It would be great to have a tail
    Human evolution got it wrong in this regard.
    There could be some great accessories....
    The s*xual possibilities boggle the mind.
    Furry or bald? I would favour lizard-style. Sleek and tactile.

I was at the circus on Sunday.
    The clown (Spanish duderillo called Pepino, hopefully in homage to Marcos Valle) calls for the audience to clap along to his incidental music.
    I'm the only one in the whole big top clapping on the one and three....
    Let me tell you, feeling outside of the mainstream right there and then.
    Very diconnecting.

I remember once taking a bunch of 45s to play to a record store guy (surprise, a decent human being (but no tail)); one of them was 'X-sorcist' by the Devils.
    He looked at it, then looked horrified, cowered towards the back of the store, gibbering 'no, that's evil, take it out'...
    His friend asked me to leave forthwith accompanied by the 45.
    So no chance of a trade then.

Thanks for listening.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts