Random Sunday afternoon thoughts

Comments

• I really gotta lay off the sauce.

Pretty much all i can think of right now...oof all day.

Health and bodies are such a fucked up thing; i go to the gym yesterday, and work out HARD. Lift weights, lots of cardio, stretch...Really pushing myself, giving some effort.

Then, I go out at night, IN WHITE PANTS, and go out of my way and pay good money to undo everything I did during the day.

• Options
    Think I'll go ride the bike.

That Lamborghini had to be doing 160mph this morning.

Why can't major life-changing decisions be easy?

Potash Saskatchewan.

I really need to get Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison" out of my head.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    I watched Inland Empire.......now I talk funny and everything is a bit weirder.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    exhausted.

woke up at noon yesterday after palying downtown friday night and getting to bed at 4.
    showered and headed to the record pool then played a 4 hour set at metropark in the MOA.
    got off in enough time to go home, shuffle some records and head downtown to have a cocktail with my folks.
    then went and played again downtown until 2am.
    got home and to sleep at 4.

up at 8:30 today to meet the folks for breakfast before they head back home.
    at work now for some ot.
    i have the soul food/music joint to spin at this after noon - 6ish.
    then i have to play again tonight 10-2 and be up tomorrow for more work action at 9am. i have tomorrow night off but i play out every night this week until next sunday (4 club nights, 2 weddings!!!!).

i am thinking, how the hell am i gonna do laundry, grocery shop, clean the kitchen, refile records at home and mow the frickin lawn in the free 25 seconds i have today.

and why the hell am i wasting those seconds typing this?

peace.

big chief otto lover rock oner.
    true believers crew
    ryhmesayers entertainment
    run ya jewelz
    twin cities, seattle, worldwide

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I DONT THINK i'm getting out of my bed today.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I want to go back to school/England now.

I love my mom??s cooking. Autumn lamb today... mmm... lamb.

I??m feeling a bit bored with music today. I think it??s because I??ve sort of been forcing this track I??m supposed to do for a compilation my crew is putting out. I feel my creativity is on low ebb, and is suffering because of this track. I??d like to have a track on there, but damn, I don??t wanna put out some second-rate shit.

I need to go check out some records tomorrow.

I??m loving big t-shirts right now.

I feel a bit sad. A close friend of mine might get commited to a mental institution. Her boyfriend, who is also a good friend, called me and asked me to just be with him. He was well shook up and very sad, so I brought some fireworks, cigarettes, movies, snacks and booze. He felt a bit better, but still, she??s appearantly dealing with some heavy shit, and living with her parents. I really hope it works out somehow.

My aunt was comitted just over a week ago. People are going crazy left and right!

My brother is nice guy, but too picky.

- J

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I'm in the office like a bitch.

But hey, first full weekend I've had to work since being at this job for 6+ months; guess I can't complain.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    A final for my accounting class is coming up. Doing the second worst thing to studying on a Saturday night...Studying on a Sunday afternoon.

BUT another 2 hrs, and I'm gonna be watching basketball. USA vs Brazil @ 6 PST.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    friday i got caught sleepin by an unmarked doin 115 on the fwy

just got home about an hour ago from last night, i chose to take a different ride option than the one i went to this spot w/ & while we were eating some tacos we got a call from dude i was sposed to ride w/

former chevy tahoe

i need sleep & a fatty...

Be safe!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Who here finds they can't get focused unless they clean their room/house/workspace?
    That's me right there. I find that everything will be everything as soon as I get my space clean.

Was supposed to meet a friend of mine today to give him a mix CD, but he had to cancel. I'm kinda glad it happened that way, so I can go straight home and tie up loose ends, before I start getting burnt out...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    At work, I am messy, but really organized - there's paper and scribbles everywhere, but I know where everything is. Still, I was inspired by your post and just cleaned my desk and feel a bit better. What I really need to do to get focused, though, is brush my teeth. I can't stand the feeling of gritty teeth and the taste of lunch from two hours ago. We are launching into full records management overhaul at work soon and they are talking about enforcing a 'clean-desk' policy. I got well WTF-are-you-talking-about? about it cause that's basically telling me how to work, you know?

At work, I am messy, but really organized - there's paper and scribbles everywhere, but I know where everything is.

I hear you...

Still, I was inspired by your post and just cleaned my desk and feel a bit better.

Wow, that was quick! Only twenty minutes or so elapsed between my post and your reply and already you cleaned your desk...

As for me...there's press releases and other whatnot cluttering my workspace that I need to sort out. Matt, one of the guys I share a cube with, took the easy way out and just got a postal service box and put all the excess in THAT - this way, he can sort AND keep the desktop clean, dig?

I've already stolen his idea, but I need one more box (or something) to get the desk to where I want it to be...

Now that my friend postponed getting together today, I'll use this borrowed time to clean up at home. Assuming I don't fall asleep first. If the sandman doesn't get me, I'll be one spic-n-span muthafugga tomorrow.

lol - well, my space is pretty small. And I cheated. I just cleaned (piled), I did not sort. That task has been piling and piling and I keep putting it off. I am building a filing system (the old one sucked), so it's not just about shoving papers into a pre-existing file, but creating the file and then updating the list...not hard, but time consuming and boring. The only pay-off is when I need something fast and it's easy breezy to find.

Oh gosh, home is a different story. Best way to illustrate my approach is to say I don't even open 90% of my mail, it piles up and then I "organize" by putting it all in a box/bag and then out of sight. A year later, once taxes are done, I shred it all.

I will be submitting to Walter Mosley and the sandman tonight - that's the only plan I got.

lol - well, my space is pretty small. And I cheated. I just cleaned (piled), I did not sort. That task has been piling and piling and I keep putting it off.

That's what I gotta learn to do more, to save time - pile first, sort later. Although one good thing about the sorting is finding something originally thought to be lost...

Oh gosh, home is a different story. Best way to illustrate my approach is to say I don't even open 90% of my mail, it piles up and then I "organize" by putting it all in a box/bag and then out of sight. A year later, once taxes are done, I shred it all.

It's even more of a process filing records. Specially when you DJ on a fairly regular basis like I do...no sooner do I have everything filed away than I need to go dipping into it again for a gig. Any other Strutters with DJ gigs have this issue? Or do you keep your "club" records in one separate pile?

[I will be submitting to Walter Mosley and the sandman tonight - that's the only plan I got.

A thorough cleaning (ha ha!), and an episode of SNL if I have time. (Been watching the first season Saturday Night Live DVD for the last couple months...been doing it piecemeal, so I got one more ep to go. Now about them Odd Couple, WKRP, and new Stax Records DVD's I still need to weed through...

Is it just me, or is the Get Low Down! comp of New Orleans soul on Sundazed boring as all hell? This is a shining example that some records are rare and/or unreleased for a reason. (Also see: Rhino's new comp of Aretha's rarities, which is good for historical reasons, but nothing worth playing over and over again.)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    At work, I am messy, but really organized - there's paper and scribbles everywhere, but I know where everything is.

This is me in general. I'm not quite as cluttered as I used to be, but still, to an outsider, it looks like I just throw things wherever. Well...I guess I sort of do, but there's a method to the madness, and I know where things are.

they are talking about enforcing a 'clean-desk' policy. I got well WTF-are-you-talking-about? about it cause that's basically telling me how to work, you know?

That is some bull-fuckin'-shit. Clean desk policy? You can miss me by a mile with that one. Fuck micromanaging.

Back when I used to work for a weekly pub, I could gauge how far along I was with my work based on how messy my desk was. At the beginning of my work week, I would make an utter mess of my desk, but as I got things done, I would take them off my desk, so by the end of the work week, my desk would be fairly clean. If they tried to do some clean-desk policy crap, it would've completely ruined my workflow.

• Is it just me, or is the Get Low Down! comp of New Orleans soul on Sundazed boring as all hell?

This is me in general. I'm not quite as cluttered as I used to be, but still, to an outsider, it looks like I just throw things wherever. Well...I guess I sort of do, but there's a method to the madness, and I know where things are.

they are talking about enforcing a 'clean-desk' policy. I got well WTF-are-you-talking-about? about it cause that's basically telling me how to work, you know?

That is some bull-fuckin'-shit. Clean desk policy? You can miss me by a mile with that one. Fuck micromanaging.

Back when I used to work for a weekly pub, I could gauge how far along I was with my work based on how messy my desk was. At the beginning of my work week, I would make an utter mess of my desk, but as I got things done, I would take them off my desk, so by the end of the work week, my desk would be fairly clean. If they tried to do some clean-desk policy crap, it would've completely ruined my workflow.

I'm not the only person at work with an unclean desk, but even so, every now and then I gotta clean the slate so's I can think.

Is it just me, or is the Get Low Down! comp of New Orleans soul on Sundazed boring as all hell?

A local used store had a copy for $10.99, so I went for it...it's a sad thing when the only two good songs (out of 50!) are fairly well-known hits (both by Lee Dorsey)! So, somewhere, the people who congratulate themselves for choosing commons over rarities are smiling...but I still say that hit or miss,the good stuff is where you find it! Just not on Get Low Down!.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I'm standing on the verge of really getting it on...

well, tell us how it went tomorrow

well, tell us how it went tomorrow

It's tomorrow now.

It's even more of a process filing records. Specially when you DJ on a fairly regular basis like I do...no sooner do I have everything filed away than I need to go dipping into it again for a gig.

I play out two to three times a month and they are pretty different nights - there are only about 10 or so of the same records that might overlap and everything else is being pulled out and new things being put in the crate. I am not neat enough to file everything back right away, so it piles and piles around the stereo until I hit my limit and put everything away and then it starts all over again. And I am using the term 'file' pretty loosely here - my records are not alphabetized and only separated between genres and sizes.

Last night was a little productive, I picked some records for this weekend, I listened to Bobby Taylor and these nice and loud

and managed to put away a few records, too!

• Who here finds they can't get focused unless they clean their room/house/workspace?

Oh god yes, I clean the house on Thursday night so I can have a relaxing weekend. I have become more and more of a clean freak as I have gotten older. I just got an office at work and the move helped me remove a lot of clutter. Now I have more space to put stuff, and a window, and a door...I am loving it.

• Played the remix of this out last night. It was fun!

- J

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some random Sunday (morning) thoughts:

-What are T**i gonna get into today?
    -That bagel and coffee I just ate was delicious.
    -J-Dilla was a talented, gifted cat (I'm listenin' to Jay Mack's mix).
    -I wish my drums sounded as good as Dilla's.
    -Dilla has an uncanny ear for sampling, melody, and arranging.
    -I want a house.
    -Jameel McCline is such an underachiever.
    -Samuel Peter is overrated.
    -I hope tomorrow's faculty meeting isn't too long (and boring).
    -Life is wonderful, I am truly blessed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    It's not quite the PM here on the East Coast but
    here's some thoughts:

The first season of SNL was really funny. I mean really funny.

The NORS looked like a lot of fun but it will probably be years
    before I can make it to another one.

Why do I keep thinking about marriage and kids?

There should of been an instrumental version of
    Remember to Remember.

Why am I so lazy on Sundays?

• There should of been an instrumental version of
    Remember to Remember.

or at least Roy playing vibes.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Hummingbirds with ruby throats
    Invisible wings, invisible notes

mean more to me than right and wrong mean

Just yesterday I was out bicycling when that bizarre intro to Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" came to mind. You know, that weird dialogue where he's trying to impress some girl with his knowledge of different languages while the band plays this salsa rhythm in the background. He starts out HOLLERING in some foreign tongue, and then starts rapping in this bedroom voice about the many languages he happens to speak while the lady in question just says "yes."

And then the song kicks in.

And as best as I can tell, the lyrics have nothing to do with that weird verbal exchange that just passed.

Every now and then, Stevie will say something absurd on his records, but at least the monologues on "Sweet Little Girl" and "Do I Do" commented on the music in some way. But that "skit" that opened "Don't You Worry..." came straight from the corner of 18th and Nowhere. All together now: WTF???

Personally, I kinda like Stevie's goofy moments. But since everybody seems to be falling all over themselves praising his six-album heyday*** from the seventies when he could do no wrong, I'm surprised this hasn't come up...

[color:red]***Where I'm Coming From
    Music Of My Mind
    Talking Book
    Innervisions
    Fulfillingness' First Finale
    Songs In The Key Of Life

• There was this old dude in the shop a while back, he pikced up a copy of "The Secret Life of Plants" and exclaimed, "Stevie was on some plants when he made this record!"