Random Sunday afternoon thoughts

Comments

• Can't believe 10 day forecast calls for rain every day and no high temp over 89 degrees. This is Austin into July. Shit is fucked, but I'll gladly take it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Can't believe 10 day forecast calls for rain every day and no high temp over 89 degrees. This is Austin into July. Shit is fucked, but I'll gladly take it.

Global Warming

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Goddam, "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen is an incredible song. Definitely going to see them when they play the Chicago area in a week or two. Unfortunately, the cat who sang lead on their biggest hit ("SURRRRRFIN' BIIIIIIIIRD, BBLBLBLLBLBLBLBLLBBBLBL-a-a-a-a-a....apapapapapapapapapapa....") is dead, but the others (who sang lead as well) survive, and I'd like to see how they fill the slack.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I thought I knew black "programs".

When a man gets the urge to have waffles/pancakes, there's no stoppin' the show. Definitely headin' to the nearest griddlecake place directly after work.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Can't believe 10 day forecast calls for rain every day and no high temp over 89 degrees. This is Austin into July. Shit is fucked, but I'll gladly take it.

enjoy it, it will probably be your last week of under 90 until, well, probably thanksgiving...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Goddam, "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen is an incredible song. Definitely going to see them when they play the Chicago area in a week or two. Unfortunately, the cat who sang lead on their biggest hit ("SURRRRRFIN' BIIIIIIIIRD, BBLBLBLLBLBLBLBLLBBBLBL-a-a-a-a-a....apapapapapapapapapapa....") is dead, but the others (who sang lead as well) survive, and I'd like to see how they fill the slack.

Watch John water's "Pink Flamingos" and that song will take on a whole new meaning every time you hear it!!!

• Can't believe 10 day forecast calls for rain every day and no high temp over 89 degrees. This is Austin into July. Shit is fucked, but I'll gladly take it.

enjoy it, it will probably be your last week of under 90 until, well, probably thanksgiving...

I been in TX/LA for 30 years....I know the drill.

What you said above we've been saying every week since the end of April. Shit has been mad unseasonal for going on 3 months now. I'm sure the bottom will drop out soon enough though or it will be 120 on Labor Day or something.

• Speaking of Sundays- it's going to be my only day off for a while. I used to have Sat/Sun off but I just got an adjunct position with the Peralta Community College District. So, for now, I'll be doing my usual non-proit thing and now, adjunct....Only one day off sucks...but do what I gotta do.

The plus is working with the college students and the personal gain is= more bread...

for more vinyl...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Yes! ABC promoted the hell out of this program back in the fall of '74, premiering the same season as Get Christie Love, another black TV show about a sexy detective played by Teresa Graves (catchphrase: "you're under arrest, sugar.") The jingle for these (and other) ABC shows for that season had a cheery, Up With People-type chorus singing "the shows on ABC this fall, you'll be talking about to-morrow!!!" Well, here we are talking about the DVD release of Mama 33 years later, so I guess they were right. However, Christie Love only ran for a season, while Mama ran for a season-and-a-half. Both shows had their followings, at least in the black community, but they didn't last very long.

Ive never heard of this and none of my older siblings/friends ever reference this. WTF.

There's a scene in Reservoir Dogs where Tim Roth, Chris Penn, Harvey Keitel and Steve Buscemi are sat talking in a car, and one of them (I don't remember who) mentions it. Oddly enough, there's a cable/satellite channel over here which is showing re-runs of it at the moment. I'm guessing it's because their programme buyer must be a Tarantino obsessive. I've caught it a couple of times, and it's low-budget as fuck. I'm sure it was a cool show at the time, but it doesn't look as if they spent a lot of money on it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more:

-"I'm bored."
    -"I'm kinda horny, I wonder if T**i is asleep."
    -"I hope she doesn't front on me, tonight."
    -"I want some dessert, but I can't have it."
    -"I can't wait to get the fuck outta Milwaukee."
    -"What's with all the killing going in the city?"
    -"I wouldn't mind hearing 'I Gotta Song'."
    -"I miss my records."
    -"I think I'll have some Couvosieur and a cigarette."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more:

-"I'm bored."
    -"I miss my records."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

haha I can relate to a few of those

here's some random-ness

I just read a story about a dude who beat a flamingo to death in a burger king parking lot because he thought it was a vampire.

I ate like shit all weekend and I'm sure i'll pay for it.
    I really need to get back on track with the exercise/gym/health thing. I was going good for a while and then I totally fell off.

I'm feeling this Black Pocket (Spacek) joint.

I want Del Taco and alcohol.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some more:

-"I'm bored."
    -"I miss my records."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

haha I can relate to a few of those

here's some random-ness

I just read a story about a dude who beat a flamingo to death in a burger king parking lot because he thought it was a vampire.

I ate like shit all weekend and I'm sure i'll pay for it.
    I really need to get back on track with the exercise/gym/health thing. I was going good for a while and then I totally fell off.

I'm feeling this Black Pocket (Spacek) joint.

I want Del Taco and alcohol.

What's up, Dame? How ya' livin'? I'ma give you a shout sometime.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm sick and tired, man. I need a change in my life.

Yo, aren't you baskin' in utter newlywed bliss? I know you're all smiles right now. Are you alright? I'm still mad that I didn't get up with you in NY. Now, I'll be up in New Jeruz, so what's up, mane?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah man, well you know it's all good. I definitely miss my wife. Been away from her for like 5-6 days now, shit is taking a toll.

But yeah player, you're gonna be in MY neck of the woods now. Holler at a player.

Yeah man, well you know it's all good. I definitely miss my wife. Been away from her for like 5-6 days now, shit is taking a toll.

But yeah player, you're gonna be in MY neck of the woods now. Holler at a player.

Player? You're retired, son!!! You're a coach like me now, hung up the cleats and everything.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wise words, my friend! YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!

It's still fun to watch the action from the sidelines, though. I'll check you out sometime after I land in Jersey (and buy the crib).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Y'all have probably come across this vintage Count Basie LP on Roulette called Breakfast Dance & Barbecue[/i], so named because it was recorded live at a breakfast/BBQ.

Okay, here's what gets me: barbecue for breakfast?

What were they trying to do, put Ex-Lax out of business?

At work I just received the new batch of Studio 1 reissues on the Heartbeat label. I'm listening to the Heptones' Sweet Talking right now. Really nice Jamaican take on American soft-soul. I'm a little hesitant to hear the Lone Ranger's album because it includes a lot of '80s music and I'm a-scared it's gonna be all mellow and Marleyized, but I'm going into it with an open mind.

• Options
    I'm not really mad at Barry Bonds.

Garage sales really have to pick up, I haven't found a thing this summer.

I really hope I don't need this operation, the only positive is that I'll be able to walk with a cane for awhile. I can freak that nicely.

Jets are gonna be nasty this year. I hope Glavine doesn't win tonight so I can go to his next home game and see him get 300 at home.

There's probably a million boats out on the water today, the weather in NY is unfukwittable today.

I think I'd be awesome at cricket.

Is "sea level" the same everywhere? And who knows what time it really is?

I gotta build these shelves, it's getting ridiculous in the basement.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I really gotta lay off the sauce.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I'm not really mad at Barry Bonds.
    Im basically neighbors with his "drug dealer", Patrick Arnold. He's a weirdo. You can tell he is his own guinea pig.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I can't wait for brunch with my friends. Mmmmm sweet buttered cornbread with orange marmalade.

i need a vacation--I miss you San Fran.

Do I really need a car?

• Send me the lone ranger if you cant get behind it (and anything else too eighties)

What are the other new heartbeat ones?

The Sweet talking set looks real nice, I just don't know why they left off some of the best stuff from "on top" -I hold the handle(!), party time, pure sorrow. THOSE are the cuts if you ask me.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    shoulna had those tacos at lafayette and kenmare last night.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    -just discovered the genmai-cha green tea with the roasted brown rice and i am officially addicted. i think to the scent above anything else

-i love my drums and realize that i often look at them adoringly when i am sitting in my room watching tv or when i take a break from whatever i'm doing

-been daydreaming about moving to new york for a long time and when i told a friend that last week she told me i should do it and i could stay with her until i get my shit together. so very tempted

-walked all over chinatown yesterday afternoon with a pal, picked up some fake moustaches, a saki set and some pocky raer. walking through chinatown and northbeach made me realize that i still love living here and thee are areas that i hardly check out. also saw a bag of snacks that were a bunch of baby crabs which kinda freaked me out.

the name of this baby crabs snack is "Let's Party"? i wonder how people can eat these things without choking they aren't soft shell

-love all the plants that my roommate got for our side area, think it may be time to start grilling out there

-kinda hate that we don't have a tv in our living room. i feel bad when it's the same two people offering their places to watch games at

-accepted that i like love depeche mode again

-started reading a lot more. realized that my lull in reading the past few years is that it's harder for me to get with fiction as all the stuff i've been reading lately are non-fiction. which is weird because i love escapism in the movies, just not in print.

-gave up beer and beer belly is debloating rapidly. feeling good and started caring about how i look again, utilizing all the cute clothes/shoes in my closet that i've neglected the past year or two due to laziness

-thinking about cutting my hair myself (see aforementioned laziness). i've been needing a haircut for months, it's hella long now.

-i'm thankful that twin peaks season 2 is finally out on dvd. still have a a crush on agent cooper

• I'm a little hesitant to hear the Lone Ranger's album because it includes a lot of '80s music and I'm a-scared it's gonna be all mellow and Marleyized, but I'm going into it with an open mind.

Please do that, and know that Lone Ranger was one of my favorite toasters from that era.

I'll be watching this thread to see what you thought of it. Is "Collie Dub" on there?

• -

-walked all over chinatown yesterday afternoon with a pal, picked up some fake moustaches, a saki set and some pocky raer. walking through chinatown and northbeach made me realize that i still love living here and thee are areas that i hardly check out. also saw a bag of snacks that were a bunch of baby crabs which kinda freaked me out.

the name of this baby crabs snack is "Let's Party"? i wonder how people can eat these things without choking they aren't soft shell