Random Sunday afternoon thoughts

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

a minute ago I picked my nose and for some random reason almost ate the booger. Haven't done that in years.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    wanted a pizza..
    so, i made one.
    got 10 minutes to go.
    yum.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are my random thoughts today:

-"I hate cardboard."
    -"My, Milwaukee sure is boring, I can't wait to leave."
    -"I'm sure enjoying 'Blacks and Blues' playing on the CD player."
    -"Packing is a pain."
    -"This doctoral student's dissertation proposal sure does suck (from my initial skim of it). I'm gonna dread reviewing it tomorrow."
    -"I need a vacation."
    -"A sabbatical sure would be nice."
    -"What CDs have I forgotten to pack for my 'travel soundtrack' going East?"
    -"What will I watch on TV tonight now that 'The Sopranos' are over?"
    -"It's a real pretty day outside."
    -"Why are people in the supermarket so oblivious?" (move out of the way-related).
    -"That Castillo/Hatton fight on HBO last night sure was butt."
    -"I wouldn't mind a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout right now out on the terrace."
    -"Damn, that London Broil sandwich I had for lunch was delicious."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That term is really big with elderly black women

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    bacon taste gooood, pork chops taste goooood.
    why would a world class record dude spend $7 on cosmos factory?
    its too nice a day to be at work, and yet....
    should i run across the street and have a quick drink?
    bill deal and the rondells
    shit, i left clothes in the dryer
    that fuckin cat
    ghost dog was great but how did he know that the corny gangster dude would be looking down the drain from the 2nd floor just then? and why the straight pipe?
    vanilla myoplex? word?
    stack of napkins
    a dicks deluxe, cheeseburger, 2 fries and 3 tartar sauce
    this popcorn is stale and i'm almost out of water again
    sugar, water, purple
    twine time
    i better get back to work

• sergserg 682 Posts
    got up early this morning and watched a bunch of video footage of my drunk friends from last weekend. Need to edit that shit and get it on youtube.
    worked on this tall can marathon post, figured out the winning beer and all that bullshit.
    gonna go hit safeway on potrero cause it's the only spot in the city with El Plato hot sauce.
    I'm kind of fiending for some dope tacos right now

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Making a proper tomato sauce to use in a lasagna is tougher than I thought. It keeps coming out too sweet for my liking. The lasagna itself turns out nicely, but I need to cut some of the sweetness out of the sauce. Incidentally, lasagna is a great dish for the budget-impaired. It doesn't cost a whole lot to make, and it can feed you for days on end.

are you starting with basic tomato sauce or paste base? or are you starting with a pre made?

Tomato puree, actually. I tried half puree/half paste once but didn't really like the results.

Puree is concentrated tomatoes. Ive never heard of a sauce w/ this as a base.
    Whole Plum tomatoes crushed by hand or through as food mill is the way to go.
    U can use a dry white wine(the acidity) to cut the sweetness of the tomatoes.

I've found the best results come from a good passata. And cappers chopped very fine, do a good job of counteracting the 'incipid' qualities of the tomatoe.
    I wouldn't have thought baking soda was needed. Oh and talking your time over it, letting it reduce down slowly, is good also.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nice idear. This thread deserves to run as long as "Amy Winehouse: Coolest White Chick" or "Rep Yo' Fave Popeye's Side Order."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Black mold seems to grow faster than any other living organism.

I miss the Soprano's

It's about time for a vacation

The dude in the big house 3 doors down from me was arrested Friday for murdering his brother who was a well known local "peace activist".

This is the slowest time of the year for sports

I miss the Soprano's

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I have self control problems. Too much eat/drink/spending. Kind of love it that way, though.

I love the new desk my wife and i bought that I am typing on.

Since this thread started with 'programs,' i'll say that nothing makes a Sunday night like 60 Minutes.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    Sometimes I love my ritualistic cycle of going to work, watching movies, maybe reading a little and sleeping, but other times I feel the need to have a social life and/or a special someone like the rest of the planet. I guess I can't complain though.

Just finished listening to Jimmy Witherspoon's Hunh! and Colorado-based National Ski Patrol LP, Takin' A Ride With The Wind, which has a couple of nice psych folk songs on it

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Anbyone know where I can cop a DVD of that 'Planete De Sauvage' french animated film? I love the soundtrack and really wanna see it. Someone posted a clip of it a while back and it blew my fucking mind. I need to get that and watch the whole thing. Is there one that has english or is it just subtitles?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    "humongous fresh strawberries and jazz go well"

"I think im gonna go make some ridiculous cupcakes"

"I actually don't have to work!!?"

today is a good day

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    random thoughts:

-This girl is pissing me off.

-I need to buy some records.

-It's way to humid to be outside, I'll guess I'll stay in and enjoy this AC.

-I need to get off of this computer.

-Why does my brakes sound like shit?

-I need a maid.

-We need a record show down here.

-I have to do laundry but it's Sunday and I'm lazy on Sunday.

-I should call this girl up and apologize.

-I need more rum.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    "humongous fresh strawberries and jazz go well"
    I feel obliged to co-sign that.

• monday thoughts ..

damn its cold

good weekend, got to love the random late nights that turn several times

smoking ban kicks in at the end of the month, plaese hurry up already, I wanna enjoy the pub on a sunday arvo sans smoke already

must cop marco polo's port authority

hope yoga is not as tough tonight as last week, that shit left me sore for dayzzz

That's My Mama was one funny-ass show, too bad it was only on one year. I like Good Times, but J.J.'s "dy-no-mite!" had nothing on Junior's "oooooh-WEEEEE!" Now when are we gonna see Room 222, Love American Style, and the complete James At 15/16 on DVD?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I was massaged by a man today. My Mom was massaged my a blind lady. The man giggled when I called him "sir." The massage wasn't that great. Neither was Mom's.

I hurt Daze' feelings when I told him I couldn't meet up with him in P*** S****** on his birthday. I'm a poor planner and too generous to my employees. I could've/should've pulled rank and told them I'm taking PTO that weekend. I still wuv you, J*sh. (For the record, Daze is one of my closest friends and we met right here on the 'Strut. He used to DJ for my best friend so we first had that in common, took it upon ourselves to arrange a mass-West Coast 'Strutter surprise visit to Day's 30th bday party and the rest is 'Strut history.)

Lady friend (not the one who's looking out for the Bobbito's) said she can make up for the lousy massage tonight. Yes.

Mom bought me some mango ice cream from Trader Joe's and a hugemongous watermelon, just because. I love you, Mom!

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    - fell asleep at 7 last night which resulted in me sleeping straight thru the night and getting up at 7:30. hit the park for a lenghty jog. knocked out a bunch of errands right after that. shit felt real good. i think i'll cut down on the drinking. way down.

- is it possible (space wise) for me to bring my tables and some records up to my room in sf? i really need to work on some mixtapes.

- mia is going to be doing a show in september right down the hill from where i work at...a lot of the groups look nagl, but i'd be down to see her. should i do that shit?

- why do i want to punch rootlesscosmo in his face so much?

- gotta go to wedding in carmel-by-the-sea next weekend. how is that place?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That's My Mama was one funny-ass show, too bad it was only on one year.

Season One > Two. But still both are a musthave.
    Earl at The barber shop went on to Good Times as Sweet Daddy.
    Mama was the Wicked Witch in The Wiz movie.
    And we all know where Junior ended up.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Why did it take me four years to realize that the L and R cables from my turntable to the mixer were switched around, despite being matched up with the correct colors? Somethin' still isn't right about that, but at least it sounds like it's supposed to now.

To me, the hands-down funniest episode is from season two - the one where Earl tries to impress the lady who works as a ribshack maitre'd (that's right, a hostess at a rib joint!). The show never jumped the shark, mainly because it wasn't given enough time to. And what was up with that part in Earl's hair during Season 2?

And actually married Joan Pringle, the lady who played Tracy in Season 2 (played by Lynne Moody in Season 1).

No, that was Mabel King, Raj's mama from What's Happening!!!, who is always confused with Theresa Merritt (Clifton's mama on Mama).

And we now know where he came from - the (partially faked) man-in-the-street dialogues in Wattstax!

Not saying that I care either way, but considering the show was named after Mama, the plotlines seem to revolve more around Clifton. Even if the particular episode deals with Mama, it always appears to be from Clifton's POV.

To me, the hands-down funniest episode is from season two - the one where Earl tries to impress the lady who works as a ribshack maitre'd (that's right, a hostess at a rib joint!). The show never jumped the shark, mainly because it wasn't given enough time to. And what was up with that part in Earl's hair during Season 2?

And actually married Joan Pringle, the lady who played Tracy in Season 2 (played by Lynne Moody in Season 1).

No, that was Mabel King, Raj's mama from What's Happening!!!, who is always confused with Theresa Merritt (Clifton's mama on Mama).

And we now know where he came from - the (partially faked) man-in-the-street dialogues in Wattstax!

Not saying that I care either way, but considering the show was named after Mama, the plotlines seem to revolve more around Clifton. Even if the particular episode deals with Mama, it always appears to be from Clifton's POV.

Im sorry. Mama played Diana Ross/Dorthy's Aunt M in the Wiz - "....Dont lose the Feelin,that we Had.."

It seems they were always tweaking the show. Earl was the Post Man in One. Comes in make jokes & leave.
    Season two (because he can act) they put Earl along side Clifton , giving him a share of stories centered around him. There were 2 Tracys maybe three.

My favorite character was the Square Bougie dude/ Tracy's Husband. He appears as an uptight teacher on the White Shadow years later. I dont remember a character like him before on tv/black tv.Dude was a Taxman.

With the small patch of grey hair talkin bout his light skinned brother called him the n-Bomb.
    I always was skeptical about that scene/scenes cause I thought Peebles was tryin to catch the "real" Watts and Issac is serving Drinks up in the hood.

It seems they were always tweaking the show. Earl was the Post Man in One. Comes in make jokes & leave.

And don't forget - there were a couple of early episodes where

(a) Earl the postman was played by somebody else
    (b) The guy who played Earl was shown playing another role
    (c) Leonard, Tracy's nerdy husband, was played by somebody else

I can see why the original Earl and Leonard were replaced, 'cause they didn't have a shred of charisma compared to the Earl and Leonard we know.

With the small patch of grey hair talkin bout his light skinned brother called him the n-Bomb.
    I always was skeptical about that scene/scenes cause I thought Peebles was tryin to catch the "real" Watts and Issac is serving Drinks up in the hood.

I once met former Stax prez Al Bell and he confirmed that some of those interviews were staged - why else would these actors be credited at the end of the flick? (Other interviewees included the guy who played Aunt Esther's husband on Sanford & Son, as well as the actor who played C.J. on White Shadow).

I can see why the original Earl and Leonard were replaced, 'cause they didn't have a shred of charisma compared to the Earl and Leonard we know.

It seems since it was an "under the radar" show they took the liberties to tweak as they went.
    I was too young to remember the tv promos for the show. do u recall the tv promo spots.
    Did they heavily promote it. And what other "Black" shows were on at the time?
    Clifton Davis seemed to be a sex symbol at the time.

• Options

Im sorry. Mama played Diana Ross/Dorthy's Aunt M in the Wiz - "....Dont lose the Feelin,that we Had.."

Season two (because he can act) they put Earl along side Clifton , giving him a share of stories centered around him. There were 2 Tracys maybe three.

My favorite character was the Square Bougie dude/ Tracy's Husband. He appears as an uptight teacher on the White Shadow years later. I dont remember a character like him before on tv/black tv.Dude was a Taxman.

I never even knew this was a real show. You know the part in Coming To America when Reverend Brown introduces Randy Watson and says "you all know him as Joe The Policeman from the What's Going Down episode of That's My Mama." I always thought that was a fake show.

Finally fertilized the plants an hour ago. Think I'll head to the beach for a bit.

It seems since it was an "under the radar" show they took the liberties to tweak as they went.
    I was too young to remember the tv promos for the show. do u recall the tv promo spots.

Yes! ABC promoted the hell out of this program back in the fall of '74, premiering the same season as Get Christie Love, another black TV show about a sexy detective played by Teresa Graves (catchphrase: "you're under arrest, sugar.") The jingle for these (and other) ABC shows for that season had a cheery, Up With People-type chorus singing "the shows on ABC this fall, you'll be talking about to-morrow!!!" Well, here we are talking about the DVD release of Mama 33 years later, so I guess they were right. However, Christie Love only ran for a season, while Mama ran for a season-and-a-half. Both shows had their followings, at least in the black community, but they didn't last very long.

what other "Black" shows were on at the time?

As far as sitcoms went, Good Times had already been on for a few months by the time Mama showed up. Sanford & Son was still around - the reason ABC cancelled The Brady Bunch is because Sanford was on right opposite it and kicked its' ass in the ratings. By early '75, then came The Jeffersons. Jimmie Walker from Good Times was interviewed right around that time, and he noted that with these four black sitcoms on the air, somebody had to go. Mama was the first to leave; The Jeffersons lasted the longest, well into 1985.

Yes! ABC promoted the hell out of this program back in the fall of '74, premiering the same season as Get Christie Love, another black TV show about a sexy detective played by Teresa Graves (catchphrase: "you're under arrest, sugar.") The jingle for these (and other) ABC shows for that season had a cheery, Up With People-type chorus singing "the shows on ABC this fall, you'll be talking about to-morrow!!!" Well, here we are talking about the DVD release of Mama 33 years later, so I guess they were right. However, Christie Love only ran for a season, while Mama ran for a season-and-a-half. Both shows had their followings, at least in the black community, but they didn't last very long.

Ive never heard of this and none of my older siblings/friends ever reference this. WTF.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    that part in Earl's hair during Season 2?