1990's skateboard video music

DWGDWG 334 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I've been watching some of my old skate videos - and there's a lot of hip-hop stuff in the soundtracks that I've never found or heard of since. I'm sure some of it was just 4-track bits and pieces by different people (possibly some friends of the skaters), but on the other hand some might actually be out there on some format.Wondering if anyone here might know of any of these:S.W.A.T. 'X-Ecute Em' (Life 'Soldier's Story', 1991)S.W.A.T. 'Fatal Madness' (Planet Earth 'Now N' Later', 1991)SMK & Mike Smooth ???? (New Deal '1281', 1991)Kold Blue 'Poets Anonymous' (New Deal '1281', 1991)The Mafioso 'The Sound Lil' Jon Put Down' (New Deal '1281', 1991)I remember an advert for Kold Blue's tapes tacked into the first Underworld Element video ('Skypager'), so those must have been out there. I can't find any info on him online though. I think The Mafioso was Andy Howell's own project, but I'm not certain.If anyone's got any info - or has any of the music - gimme a shout. As much as I love the skating sounds over the top on the videos, I'd love to hear clean copies of these tracks.Feel free to add on with your own requests/memories!

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Growing up in a place without a decent music store, skate videos were my only source for music. I used to dub tapes fromt eh videos and bump them in my car. Skate videos shaped my taste in music for the most part.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

on that, i remember bumping hallowed be thy name from jamie thomas' part in the first zero video with all the skate sounds dubed to tape. listening to the clean version now i know where all the sounds should be.
    ahh the memories.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    My guess on the New deal and Underworld Element video songs would be local Atlanta artists, friends of the skaters probably. Maybe ask around if you have any friends that were in the ATL hip-hop/skate scene then.

Do you have clean copies of 1281 or Useless Wooden Toys? I need these in my life again bad. I have about 100 videos to trade...or wax.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

Do you have clean copies of 1281 or Useless Wooden Toys? I need these in my life again bad. I have about 100 videos to trade...or wax.

I bought the Andy Howell book 'Art, Skateboarding and Life' last year - and that has two DVDs with all the New Deal/Underworld Element/Zero Sophisto videos on. Well worth purchasing.

Thanks for the idea about hitting up the Atlanta scene guys... I don't know anyone from there, but I'll start searching.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I think The Mafioso was Andy Howell's own project, but I'm not certain.

I think you are right. I would not have ever remembered that, but you jogged my memory. I can remember watching one of his video parts and someone telling me that it was him rapping. I remember thinking it was kind of cheesy that he rapped, but that was a long time ago.

Back in the day I always wondered what that song in the Girl video was, with the "I bust nuts like Pee Wee Herman in a strip bar" line, but then when I got older I found out it was the Know Naim remix of Oh My God.
    I was also very excited when I found out that Burnt was a b-side on a Del 12 inch and not just some mystery heiro song in a plan b video. Skate videos exposed me to a lot of cool music back then. I was in middle school and high school and none of my friends were listening to anything like that.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I think The Mafioso was Andy Howell's own project, but I'm not certain.

It was Andy Howell.He also did stuff on the second video.He had it for his part and Justin G's part too(if I rememeber correctly)
    also..

Kold Blue 'My Name Remains Anonymous'

He's from the Bay area(or east bay).I just remember the affiliation with him and the
    Three Shades(Bored Stiff)crew or could have not been.

He(kold) also had a grip of songs on the First "Think" Video too.

Also another "where can you find them?!?" crew that was talked about was "Raised By Suess"

They were on the 411 video mag(San Jose Metrospective and Scott Johnson had a profile and blah, blah ,blah).I know not too many people have copies of this.

I got the master copy!(My homies from back in the day).

I will try to post some snippits of it later

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    theres got to be an market for soundtracks from these tapes in the 90's, love to see a mix put out.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Growing up in a place without a decent music store, skate videos were my only source for music. I used to dub tapes fromt eh videos and bump them in my car. Skate videos shaped my taste in music for the most part.

X 2.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

My story exactly! If it weren't for those early 90s skate vids there's a lot of shit I would have slept on.

Anyone remember this?

Roc Raida routines b/w Method Man over the Gotcha Opin beat

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    lots of good shit in some of those skate videos....it's funny you bring up the burnt thing tommy...I rememeber being in college...getting back from skating...and we watched that video...we were all super hyped to hear that...

I actually did a song in a 90's skate video too....good fun!

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    dude i just made a personal compilation of mostly wheels of fire tunes and some similar sounding skate rock skate punk. it's the driving to skate music and i need something different than caffeine and weed to get me hyphy crunk pumped and amped to go shred. anyone in chicago check out the wilson park during the week in the aerly day, it's deadwood.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I can't remember the name of thr group, but Ron Allen (H-street, Life, etc.) had a group. I am vaguely remembering them having a song in a Mike York part? I remember a song in one of Mike york's more recent parts and they shouted him out in the song.

on the more rock related tip....

http://www.escanabasucks.com/sk8rock.php

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts

which ?

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts

which ?

it was a Thrasher video from like 1998 or 1999...would have to look...I'll try and scan it...I think it was called like Skateboarding 101 or something....

the beat was fresh...as I recall...haha...it was quite a few years ago now! I'll have to transfer it from VHS and put it into digital realm soon....(sf/bay-help-please-related! )...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    80's - Agent Orange live at Upland Skatepark - skate visions video

i can not agree enough with this.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    [
    Also another "where can you find them?!?" crew that was talked about was Raised By Suess

They were on the 411 video mag(San Jose Metrospective and Scott Johnson had a profile and blah, blah ,blah).I know not too many people have copies of this.

I got the master copy!(My homies from back in the day).

I will try to post some snippits of it later

Let's hear those full tracks please! I loved that 'Face The Music' cut.

Here's one of the cuts I was looking for - ripped from the VHS tape, so it has skating noises all over it (Kit Erickson, nonetheless, so it's all good - R.I.P. dude).

S.W.A.T. 'X-Ecute Em' (from Life's 'A Soldier's Story')

Still looking for more info on these guys... they were in a lot of the H-Street/Planet earth/Life type projects.