REP YOUR LOLLAPALOOZA ATTENDANCE

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I only went to the first one in 1991.Jane's Addiction--stupidSiouxsie & the Banshees--let downLiving Colour--ehNine Inch Nails--actually good until they wrecked their equipment and the music kept playing (suspect)Ice T & Body Count--owned itButthole Surfers--fineRollins Band--ZzzzzzzzzViolent Femmes--sound problemsFishbone--great

Comments

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

Living Colour--eh

Ice T & Body Count--owned it

yeah, um, don't know what to say about that one...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    FUCK. THAT WAS 16 YEARS AGO.

I think I caught 3-5, or something like that. REALLY wanted to go the first one, but wasn't in town when the shit went down.

Never got into Burnin' Vernon et al, but got free tickets to Rolling Stones Steel Wheels. I thought they were better than the Stones.

Body Count was just completely retarded--in a good way. I haven't heard their CD to this day. I even bought and sold that one with Cop Killer a few times without bothering to listen to it. $ for a minute.

Corey Glover on stage in a Body Glove spring suit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I only went to the first one in 1991.

Same here, in Dallas...on acid.

Jane's Addiction--"cash in now, honey, cash in now"
    Siouxsie & the Banshees--loved it thoroughly
    Fishbone--great
    Living Colour--also great
    Ice T & Body Count--interesting, but ultimately
    Butthole Surfers--blasting shotguns on stage =
    Rollins Band--looked and sounded like a roided monkey on stage to me, please stop

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    nobody saw Ice Cube or Ministry?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i snuck into 1992 in irvine, CA, because there were pretty girls influencing my behaviour and they wanted in. it was weird helping girls climb over 12' fences. it was fun but musically whatever, we missed the first 5-6 bands or so.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I went in 1995. Seeing Pharcyde on a side stage was real good. I remember Elastica were good too. Mighty Mighty Bosstones were really great.

At that point Cypress Hill were getting kind of stale, and even though I liked Sonic Youth back then, I was pretty indifferent to their show.

Having said all this - wow, that was a long time ago, especially by pop music standards. I liked some of these bands but I'm really glad pop music has moved on.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    lets see...how blunted was I? I don't remember what year

Snoop Dog asked if he wanted us to see he smoke a blunt onstage
    The band James played and the lead singer walked through the cheap seats (where I was)
    Prodigy mohawk dude drooled and spit on the audience
    Dude from Tool dressed like a lady and put makeup on onstage
    ...uh thats all I remember

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    i went to the first one, it was the first big concert i went to in junior high. then i went to the 4th one with the beastie boys, p-funk, L7, and smashing pumpkins. i was taking a summer class that summer, and this girl in the class had a cousin who was working the lights on that tour, and she got me two free tickets and backstage passes. i met a handful of people back there, but the most memorable was when a lady from L7 came up to me and asked me about my shirt, which had a picture of mark lynn-baker (larry appleton from perfect strangers) and a dog in the american gothic painting on it, which me and some other people made.

• the only one of these i ever went to, david yow got his ass kicked by a security guard who he was taunting during his entire set, pavement had a huge stuffed horse on stage that malkmus was talking dirty to, and beck sang 'candle' with sonic youth. i was 12 and happy

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i snuck into 1992 in irvine, CA

haha! I was there. I grew up in Irvine.

I attended 2 through 5

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I was at the 95? event too. Slim Kid from the Pharcyde was so high he didn't know where he was. We were in Washington he thought he was in D.C. I made the mistake of ingesting way too many mushrooms and ended up inside a tent with some acid tripers watching the people's silouette's dance around a fire. Good Times.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Number one kicked ass IMO, it was the first time I dropped acid so that may
    have clouded my experience, in a good way, I must say.
    Janes' Addiction was the perfect headliner, I LOVED IT.
    When Perry and Ice T did their "Don't Call Nigger, Whitey" routine I thought shit
    was about to pop off for real.
    I had foot stepped on so many times I ended up losing a toenail a week later.
    Ended up going to 1-4, the best being the Beastie Boys year (fuck all the haters).
    They went on 2nd to last, followed by the Smashing Pumpkins, the place just emptied.
    How can you follow Parliament/Funkadelic and the B-Boys?!
    You can't.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I was pissed that Mercury Rev got kicked off the tour before reaching Portland in '92. The rumor was some local residents at one of the stops called 911 to report what sounded like an out of control city bus, or something like that. I think the actual story was they were on the second stage, but were so noisy they drowned out the main stage.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    the best being the Beastie Boys year (fuck all the haters).

Can't top '94... Midnight Marauders era Tribe, Stereolab, Guided By Voices, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Beasties, George Clinton....