AMPHETAMINE REPTILE

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Wow that label sucked didn't it.

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    except for the Melvins and Lubricated Goat 45s, yes it did....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    No love for Helmet?

No love for Helmet?

saw them on the "Strap it On" tour and thought they were kinda cool, so I bought that album and it sounded good for about a week, then it bored me to tears

• loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts
    Cows made a couple of fun/interesting records.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Wow that label sucked didn't it.

I gotta agree. File under: wanted to like it but couldn't get past the first track(s).

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its all about helios

its all about helios

yeah, but his real good shit is on subterranean

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    No love for Helmet?

i'd take Band of Susans over Helmet anyday

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm down with Helmet.

10,000X better live than on record.

I don't usually like overly "tight" bands
    but Helmet made tight seem raw.

Funny, I was just talking about Halo of Flies tonight -
    I was at a record store and someone was buying my old
    copy of a Halo of Flies record that I had sold to the owner.
    After the buyer left, I was saying how I had somehow ended
    up with like 6 Halo of Flies records, I don't even know how.
    I sold all of them but the one where the cover art is a rip of
    Singles Going Steady by the Buzzcocks.

Weren't Cows on AmRep? Or Bastards? Both of those bands
    were good, although also more of a live sensation than
    sitting 'round at home music.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

trust no one.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    HAMMERHEAD!

"etheral killer" is one of my fav records of the 90's...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It was really all about Halo of Flies as far as I was concerned... I never understood how the label was so popular in its day...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Both Cows and Bastards were on AmRep. The Cows were either brilliant, or the biggest shuck put-on I have ever seen. I lean toward the latter, but I respect their riding on the rims for so damn long. I never could figure out their appeal.

My old roommate back in Minneapolis was in Guzzard, one of the most popular local AmRep acts. Way better live than on record, as were most AmRep acts. Pat Dwyer, the guy who ran AmRep with HoF's Tom Hazelmyer, is probably the nicest guy in Minneapolis rock. I believe they all co-owned Grumpy's Bar in NE Minneapolis, probably still do.

AmRep was definately a scene unto itself back in the day, and most of the bands and label folks were pretty cool guys/gals. But no label attracted as intense of a scuzz-factor, just a lot of bad vibes and what seemed like a lot of hangers-on into a lot of messed up shit.

• AreDoubleAreDouble 124 Posts

AmRep was definately a scene unto itself back in the day, and most of the bands and label folks were pretty cool guys/gals. But no label attracted as intense of a scuzz-factor, just a lot of bad vibes and what seemed like a lot of hangers-on into a lot of messed up shit.

This my understanding. There was an interesting Punk Planet interview with those folks several years back where one of the guys said something like "People thought we were gaybashers driving around in pickup trucks" . . . Something to that effect.

Man's Ruin the new AmRep?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This my understanding. There was an interesting Punk Planet interview with those folks several years back where one of the guys said something like "People thought we were gaybashers driving around in pickup trucks" . . . Something to that effect.

Man's Ruin the new AmRep?

At the heart of it was the drugs....a lot of the AmRep scenesters seemed very attracted to junk and/or junkies. I say scenesters to differentiate between the bands and a lot of the 'crowd', although obviously some of the band members were into that shit as well (most tragically Kristen Pfaff of Janitor Joe who had just joined Hole when she OD'd in Seattle). I think that kinda sobered up some folks who were riding that edge for a wile.

• Guzzard
    Wow, I had totally forgotten this band, but remember liking them.
    What about, SUPERNOVA? They blew me away live at the entry! Sure, I was like 15, but still...pretty fun stuff.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    There were a handful of good 45s (Killdozer, Casus Belli).