Admit it! You used to Work at Hot Topic

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I've done all kind of work before (and while) going to college. I've worked as a:

-Babysitter.
    -Grass mower/trimmer.
    -Pulled tobacco (in hot-ass North Carolina during summer).
    -Grocery bagger (for tips).
    -(School) Bus Driver.
    -Grillman at Wendy's.
    -(Suit) Salesperson (S&K Famous Brands).
    -Distribution (Service Merchandise).
    -Sales Clerk (Wal-Mart).
    -Pre-loader (UPS).
    -Furniture Deliveryman.
    -Ice-Cream Truck driver.
    -Food sales (on foot at Ft. Bragg baracks) for Chanello's Pizza.
    -Mental health worker (internship).
    -Telemarketer (Ohio Business Machine).
    -HR Consultant.
    -Teaching and Research Assistant.
    -College Professor.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• -Babysitter.

I've done this exactly once. It was only for like 2 hours. I was 12, the girl was maybe 4 or 5. She had a seizure. She survived, my will to babysit did not.

• My not-great jobs. Goddamn. Not one of these was over $13 an hour:

Produce section of a grocery store
    Roofer
    Pool installer
    Painter
    Selling clothes in a department store
    Bartender
    Van driver for students
    Basketball referee
    Hotel front desk
    Maintenance department for a housing co-op

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Pool Guy

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i worked at toys r us for a summer once. it mostly involved me directing people to the restroom and making the old man simpsons toy sing "old gray mare she ain't what she used to be."

my favorite/most disturbing incident involved a fresh off the yacht pair of old white grandparents who came in saying their grand daughter had requested dora the explorer toys for her birthday. i directed them to the dora section and after a few minutes of inspection the old man asked me "do you have any that aren't all discolored?" i had no idea what they were talking about. after a few minutes of confusion, i explained to them that dora was, in fact, a hispanic character and, as such, was supposed to be brown. to which they responded "why would our granddaughter want that?"

worst job evar.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

-Babysitter.
    I've done this exactly once. ... the girl had a seizure.

thats terrible!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    my favorite/most disturbing incident involved a fresh off the yacht pair of old white grandparents who came in saying their grand daughter had requested dora the explorer toys for her birthday. i directed them to the dora section and after a few minutes of inspection the old man asked me "do you have any that aren't all discolored?" i had no idea what they were talking about. after a few minutes of confusion, i explained to them that dora was, in fact, a hispanic character and, as such, was supposed to be brown. to which they responded "why would our granddaughter want that?"

Wow, fuck that. How did you respond?

• Is the right of passage of teenagers working at (new) music stores over?

while there may not be work in an actual store, there is definitely a sea of jobs waiting for them in the "entertainment" industry.

• My CV -

- Dishwasher
    - Screenprinter
    - Pizza delivery
    - Bagel shop sandwich maker/cashier
    - General laborer (moving boxes at an office, moving metal at a scrapyard, tearing down drywall at a construction site)

I'm just glad I'm having more fun, doing more satisfying work, and making more money now!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    My first job was at this local farmer's place who had these MASSIVE walls of wood that he would sell as firewood and kindling. All the local kids from about 14 y.o. on worked there at some point. Because he was a farmer he didn't have to pay minimum wage, and he didn't, so you got 0.25/bag of kindling, or 0.10/bag of hardwood. Only if you had been there for a while could you begin to approach minimum wage. In the fall was pumpkin picking, which for some strange reason was minimum wage.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    i worked at toys r us for a summer once. it mostly involved me directing people to the restroom and making the old man simpsons toy sing "old gray mare she ain't what she used to be."

worst job evar.

"Damn cracker-ass crackers." At least they were honest bigots. Pseudo-liberals are far worse and disturbing (and distrust-provoking. A proud bigot is my favorite kind, which is why I get along better with "cracker-Bob" than "liberal Chad" from the suburbs. Funny enough, Gallup national polling research indicates a more strongly negative relationship (among Whites) between educational attainment (and socioeconomic status too) and racial attitudes and attitudes toward Affirmative Action. The common assumption is that more highly-educated and affluent folks are more liberal (yeah, right!). This is a study I'm on with a colleague in political science (at U. of Delaware), and I have the raw data. Shit is real out in the 'burbs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

worst job evar.

"Damn cracker-ass crackers." At least they were honest bigots. Pseudo-liberals are far worse and disturbing (and distrust-provoking. A proud bigot is my favorite kind, which is why I get along better with "cracker-Bob" than "liberal Chad" from the suburbs. Funny enough, Gallup national polling research indicates a more strongly negative relationship (among Whites) between educational attainment (and socioeconomic status too) and racial attitudes and attitudes toward Affirmative Action. The common assumption is that more highly-educated and affluent folks are more liberal (yeah, right!). This is a study I'm on with a colleague in political science (at U. of Delaware), and I have the raw data. Shit is real out in the 'burbs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yo,

you might find this article real interesting. its an analysis of 'whats the matter with kansas,' that book that asks why poor people supposedly vote against their interests. It sort of starts breaking down that received wisdom about who it is exactly that is voting conservative

http://www.chicagoreader.com/pdf/060210/060210_cover.pdf

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    ugh. the list. i have been employed since the age of 13.

-paperboy
    -video rental clerk
    -movie theater peon-- here's my Hot Topic type job. We used to have to wear these uniforms with purple and teal polos. Holy crap. The smell of buttered popcorn is something I still hate.
    -office supply delivery driver
    -tire shop worker (favorite job ever)
    -wood flooring/carpet installation
    -tire shop worker again (hated it!)
    -speed shop turbo installer
    -home depot peon
    -demolition/cleanup for construction sites
    -worked on a crew of non-unioners that specialized in bio/chem laboratory construction (lots of building on campus. pretty cool work.)
    -Intern @ non-profit representing tech industry stuff.
    -furniture truck unloader (for Williams-Sonoma and affiliates. Most tiring job ever. THE TRUCKS NEVER STOP COMING TO THE WAREHOUSES.)
    -Bartender @ Beer/Wine pub.
    -Economic Analyst

there might be a couple I'm forgetting.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Most successful ghost bump evar?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    quite possibly. it's a good one though.

• I never worked at Hot Topic, but I have worked at the mall out here in such stores as

Lucky Brand
    Virgin
    Gameworks

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Most successful ghost bump evar?

I'm a fan, keep em coming.

• Here's to keeping the dream alive. This is good timing as i am about two weeks away from an all out search to take one step forward in the career game. I'm in dead-end land right now. Paying bills, but not really moving forward. I need to step it up. So what better way than to look back. In just about chronological order:

Putting flyers in doors and mailboxes for Wings To Go
    Making wings and stuff and cashier at Wings To Go
    Working construction as a side project for the guys who owned a Wings To Go
    DJ (local pool's teen night, high school dances, a local club that bombed hard)
    Sam Goody cashier / shelf boy
    Front desk guy at a public pool
    Part of a moving crew (Mayflower)
    Video Store clerk (kinda one of my favorite jobs ever)
    College mailroom dude
    Odd jobs for my college mailroom boss who was embezzling lots of money from school
    Some weird inventory job at a warehouse
    Forklift dude / UPS & Fed Ex shipment dude at a warehouse
    Freelance Writer
    Server
    Bartender
    Bar Manager
    Listing Procurement Coordinator for a national phonebook publisher

I am looking to get into the development department/offices of a local college (there are like 8 in a 10 mile radius of me right now) and try to work my way through the ranks while scoring a free Masters. I have a ton of jobs i'd love to take on as a career and have moved forward/been trusted very quickly in my professional (read:post college) career, I just need to find something i want to stick with for a long time...my heart has to be in it or i just lose interest after a while (read: i work on freakin' phonebooks everyday).

Any tips or contacts would be appreciated as i'm about to get back out on the hunt.

• Hey,

I've done all kind of work before (and while) going to college. I've worked as a:

-Babysitter.
    -Grass mower/trimmer.
    -Pulled tobacco (in hot-ass North Carolina during summer).
    -Grocery bagger (for tips).
    -(School) Bus Driver.
    -Grillman at Wendy's.
    -(Suit) Salesperson (S&K Famous Brands).
    -Distribution (Service Merchandise).
    -Sales Clerk (Wal-Mart).
    -Pre-loader (UPS).
    -Furniture Deliveryman.
    -Ice-Cream Truck driver.
    -Food sales (on foot at Ft. Bragg baracks) for Chanello's Pizza.
    -Mental health worker (internship).
    -Telemarketer (Ohio Business Machine).
    -HR Consultant.
    -Teaching and Research Assistant.
    -College Professor.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Cutting tobacco is no joke. I used to do that when I was younger. From 14 till 18. Also stacking hay and cleaning horse stalls and all kinds of farm work. The worse part about cutting tobacco is not the cutting but the stacking it in the barn to dry out. Being at the top of this hot ass barn with a tin roof in summer during the most humid weather the mid atlantic has to offer. Good times.

Real man work.