Admit it! You used to Work at Hot Topic

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I know I wasn't the only one who worked an embarrassing mall job.ZERO smashing pumpkin t-shirts at a 40% employee discount? NO PLAESE

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Mall goths used to admire me

• whoa

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my good friend and singer of our band worked there...he has funny stories about that place...check out his American Idol audtition
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VjjQalCvbF0
    (sorry it wont let me embed)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    whoa

I lasted 3 weeks before I got fired

• I didnt work at hot topic but worst of all i worked for one of there little companys Mr.Rags still sucked fat asses!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    you guys are soft. i had to carry million pound golf bags around in the blazing sun until i got a "good" job washing dishes!

***take that shit to the Caddyshack thread.***

• Damn, I can relate having worked at blockbuster back in 96, that was my only retail job. Customers are azzholes ferrillzz!! After that it was strictly construction or some type of manuel labor that paid at least $20 an hour or more. You know the raer are expensive sometimes.. gotta get the money, gotta get paid!

$20 an hour or more.

pfft. i was getting paid $20 for a FULL 18 HOLE LOOP!!!!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

pfft. i was getting paid $20 for a FULL 18-yr old HOLE

i was 14.

***take that shit to the statutory age thread***

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    $20 an hour or more.

pfft. i was getting paid $20 for a FULL 18 HOLE LOOP!!!!

And if the golfer really liked you, he might buy you a soda at the clubhouse after the 9th hole. And if he really, really liked you, he might tip you $2 when the round was over!

I caddied at two different country clubs. I hated them both. That job sucked.

And if the golfer really liked you, he might buy you a soda at the clubhouse after the 9th hole.

LOL

• How about Tape World? I assume that was a chain store. Or was it only at our BFE mall? Anyone else work at Tape World?

Which just made me kinda sad for the kids of today. For all of the history of recorded music kids could have lame jobs at mall stores like Records Galore, Tape World, C.D.'s 'n' More (and Tower and Virgin).

But there is no "MP3 Land" at your local mall.

Is the right of passage of teenagers working at (new) music stores over?

So sad. Guess they GOTTA work at Hot Topic.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I can barely step foot inside a mall. You couldn't pay me to work there.

My first job was doing construction work for Habitat for Humanity. 40 hours/week over a hot summer working with uncoordinated volunteers, most of whom were only there because their employer thought it'd be good "team building". Very glad I did it, and enjoy coming back to volunteer, but construction is grueling work. Respect your construction workers, fools who lug nail guns on top of roofs in the blazing sun all day, drywall an entire house in a day, etc.

I am very glad that goth has died down, at least where I am.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fuck that. I applied to PAC SUN in one of my teenage summers, but they didn't call me.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

I am very glad that goth has died down, at least where I am.

capitola is blowing off the hook for the goth world.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Fuck that. I applied to PAC SUN in one of my teenage summers, but they didn't call me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I've worked so many jobs, I should write a book.

Surveyor
    Bridge Authority
    Pool Guy
    Construction
    Day Laborer
    Tax Collector
    Hotel Front Desk
    Postal Carrier
    Postal Office
    Data Entry
    Tutor
    Test Scoring Supervisor
    Traveling Consultant
    Management

The list goes on and on.

Surveyor
    Bridge Authority
    Pool Guy
    Construction
    Day Laborer
    Tax Collector
    Hotel Front Desk
    Postal Carrier
    Postal Office
    Data Entry
    Tutor
    Test Scoring Supervisor
    Traveling Consultant
    Management

The list goes on and on.

I respect people who are a professionals at one thing. But I also respect dudes like you, who've worked the gamut of odd jobs to pay the bills.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Surveyor
    Bridge Authority
    Pool Guy
    Construction
    Day Laborer
    Tax Collector
    Hotel Front Desk
    Postal Carrier
    Postal Office
    Data Entry
    Tutor
    Test Scoring Supervisor
    Traveling Consultant
    Management

The list goes on and on.

I respect people who are a professionals at one thing. But I also respect dudes like you, who've worked the gamut of odd jobs to pay the bills.

I think it's given me perspective. I've seen crazy fucking shit cuz I've been out there. I had a teacher in high school who could beat me for jobs had. He'd always start a story with "When I was working at the information booth in Grand Central Station" or "When I was a coal miner" or "When I was selling insurance door to door." Shit would always crack me up with the amount of experience in "the ether" he had.

Surveyor
    Bridge Authority
    Pool Guy
    Construction
    Day Laborer
    Tax Collector
    Hotel Front Desk
    Postal Carrier
    Postal Office
    Data Entry
    Tutor
    Test Scoring Supervisor
    Traveling Consultant
    Management

The list goes on and on.

I think it's given me perspective. I've seen crazy fucking shit cuz I've been out there. I had a teacher in high school who could beat me for jobs had. He'd always start a story with "When I was working at the information booth in Grand Central Station" or "When I was a coal miner" or "When I was selling insurance door to door." Shit would always crack me up with the amount of experience in "the ether" he had.

No doubt.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I know I wasn't the only one who worked an embarrassing mall job.

ZERO smashing pumpkin t-shirts at a 40% employee discount? NO PLAESE

There is no dishonor in hard, honest work. No offense, but this post is sort of condescending and snobbish.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I don't think I've ever had a long-term job. It's just not in my repertoire. I've never been fired, I just stop working and move on. It's actually something of a problem, because deep down, despite all my schooling, I know that I am completely unemployable. Right now I'm in a 6-year graduate program, and I have no intention of staying in the field once I get my PhD. I'm just fucking passing time. What a waste.

Here are a few of the jobs I've have had in the last 8-10 years.

Busboy
    Telemarketer (hilarious)
    Knife salesman
    Record store lackey
    Lab manager
    Soccer ref
    Buddhism tutor
    Industrial mover
    Employee at the UofM Business School student lounge (urge to kill, rising)
    Convenience store clerk (surprisingly fun in a college town)
    Cultural expedition guide (best job ever)
    Catering
    Web design
    Video editor
    Ebay grip-n-flip technician
    Research assistant
    House painter
    Data entry (the fucking worst of the bunch)
    DJ
    STUDENT
    Never worked in a mall though, as I am generally fearful of them.

There is no dishonor in hard, honest work. No offense, but this post is sort of condescending and snobbish.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Good words. I'm definitely not snobbish, but unless you were the founder of the first Hot Topic or some shit, then I don't think it's something you'd bring up in a conversation. "Oh yea I do retail at Hot Topic", after some dudes next to you are like "yea, I'm an equity analyst at Merril Lynch, and I surf on the weekends".

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Good words. I'm definitely not snobbish, but unless you were the founder of the first Hot Topic or some shit, then I don't think it's something you'd bring up in a conversation. "Oh yea I do retail at Hot Topic", after some dudes next to you are like "yea, I'm an equity analyst at Merril Lynch, and I surf on the weekends".

Gritty, tough work builds character and makes you appreciate the "come-up." Such work made me the man I am today, I'm proud to say. I would love to send some of my lazy-ass students to the loading dock so they can appreciate the privilege (not entitlement) of gaining a college education.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

But this is an interesting topic, because some of the most respectable and cool people I've met, have worked in relatively humble positions. Like every time, I drove by my Jack in the Box, this old dude would be working grave yard shifts, always with the same blue-collar mentality. It was quite refreshing, and I always told my ex, (at the time), and even though she works at Deloitte now, she likewise thought the same; that he was so damn respectable for how he approached his job and treated every single customer.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Gritty, tough work builds character and makes you appreciate the "come-up." Such work made me the man I am today, I'm proud to say. I would love to send some of my lazy-ass students to the loading dock so they can appreciate the privilege (not entitlement) of gaining a college education.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Real words. Or you could be like me, go through a sheltered middle class life until the age of 21 or 22. Clueless in an university environment, resulting in a bad GPA.
    Go through some real-life personal issues at my first shitty job, which has affected my physical and emotional health, to this day. But I'm getting back on track, and I have more motivation than ever. I have an underdog mentality and I think it should help in the long run.

• Based on past conversations, I know who I'd rather kick it with.

Dude: yea, I'm an equity analyst at Merril Lynch
    Me: So...uh, what's it like being an equity analyst? *yaaaawwn*

Dude: Oh yea I do retail at Hot Topic
    Me: Yo! Do you guys still carry fart spray?? *fingers crossed*

Based on past conversations, I know who I'd rather kick it with.

Dude: yea, I'm an equity analyst at Merril Lynch
    Me: So...uh, what's it like being an equity analyst? *yaaaawwn*

Dude: Oh yea I do retail at Hot Topic
    Me: Yo! Do you guys still carry fart spray?? *fingers crossed*

Naw I totally feel you. Don't get it twisted, someone working at Hot Topic could very well be more exciting.

• yeah i have had a pretty crazy share of jobs. My problem with working was that i would just call off or quit to go and get fucked up with my friends or just be like 'TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT'. Stupid and basically a pretty bad idea every time but hey fuck it right. Only got officially fired once.

I have been:

supermarket cashier (3 diff places)
    supermarket night shift stockboy
    bookstore manager
    print shop guy at the mall
    valet
    hotel front desk
    best buy
    waiter at chi chi's
    vacum cleaner salesman
    sears hardware sales
    barnes and noble receiving clerk
    telemarkteter
    general laborer
    book publisher
    pizza delivery guy
    cameraman for NBC and CBS
    NPR recording engineer (still do this)
    DJ (still do)
    theres more i just cant remember at the moment.

Right now im on the job hunt. Just got hired at circuit city to pick up some extra loot. I hate the shit so much that i think i just quit today. I have to be in all day tomorrow and im just gonna say fuck that shit and sleep in. I just cant do these bullshit jobs anymore. I have a lot of experience in recording and production, an education also, so i cant see myself seriously going two steps back doing some job that you dont even need a high school degree for. Im getting too old to be comfortable doing something i hate. I would rather be broke/poor but aiming towards a goal instead of comfortable/secure but miserable. Im not knocking anyone for working whatever job, i just dont want to hit 30 and be like "why the fuck have i been working a register for 4 years?". this year has been a good start on living somewhat on music so i think i just need to keep grinding.