SMASHING PUMPKINS

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Okay, I can play this game too... But for real, I had to have an emergency trip to Cali this past weekend and I threw "Siamese Dream" on the iPod and that shit rocks. Lot of hate on these dudes and Billy Corgan (dude can play the fucking guitar like a motherfucker) but I always dug there shit immensly, from "Gish" all the way through "Adore" ( ) so fuck it. Hell yeahs.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Please god no.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I HAVE DONE IT, MARK! Ahahahahahahhhh

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Please god no.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    yes, siamese dream on high levels in a small room is fucking crazy!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "FUCK YES."

• I'm with you dude.

Nowadays I'd prefer to listen to the entirety of "Gish" were I to listen to them, but "Siamese Dream" has the higher high notes. "Geek USA" and "Soma"??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude, I'm listening to "Jellybelly" right now. SHREDDING IT.

Dude, this totally a HOT TOPIC!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    mayonaise rules...and drown...also the depeche mode cover

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I'll ride for Billy and the Pumpkins, up to and including Adore.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    "Gish"

I just bought Daydream off Itunes. No Billy vox =

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I'm looking forward to the new album, I liked the song Tarantula. I also own a zero t-shirt

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    "Gish"

I just bought Daydream off Itunes. No Billy vox =

Daydream was always my jam. It was in some skate video and I liked it a lot. I don't own any of their music, but I can enjoy some SP from time to time.

What about Tonight Tonight and 1979. Maybe it depends on if you were in high school when these came out. I still enjoy my modern rocks.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I'm looking forward to the new album, I liked the song Tarantula. I also own a zero t-shirt

thats taking it way to far dude..

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    1979 was always my shit

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Smashing Pumpkins to Fans, Indie Stores: Fuck You

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/43795-smashing-pumpkins-to-fans-indie-stores-fuck-you

Well, that's the nail in the coffin, then. Just when we were slightly, slightly starting to care about the Smashing Pumpkins again-- what with the release of their long-awaited new album Zeitgeist, and its not-terrible first single, "Tarantula"-- here comes something that makes us more than a bit mellon collie.

Billy and company would like you to know that they fully support the extinction of the American independent record store at the hand of large, faceless, little-guy-crushing big boxes. They also support bleeding their fans dry. How? By releasing FOUR different versions of Zeitgeist.

Best Buy and Target each get a version with an exclusive bonus track. So does iTunes. Like, a different one for each. Everybody else gets the regular version with no bonus tracks. So if you want all of the bonus tracks, you have to buy an album at Best Buy, an album at Target, and an album at iTunes. (Ooh, the presale iTunes version also comes with an extra set of Smashing Pumpkins covers by the Bravery, the Academy Is..., Panic at the Disco, Test Your Reflex, and +44. Ooh.)

Making fans who've been waiting the better part of a decade for new Smashing Pumpkins tunes buy an album several times over is, you know, bullshit. My god, you have to go to Target (and only Target!) to get the version with the title track! That just ain't right.

The Smashing Pumpkins are on tour. Whatever.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    diaper rash vocals
    heroin drummer was good

but gish was the only half way decent thing they did
    how did they get over?
    they suck

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i think siamese dream is a really amazing album. the melodies, the builds, the ethereal quality....it's all something that gets me every time i listen to it.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    DOR
    how can you be mad?
    just get easily even and dl the whole fookin thing for free off of some lunkhead's blog -including the lame ass bonus terds

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    "Glynis" is an amazing song off of this:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Please god no.

I'll third....can't take 'em.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Gish" is definitely one of the best rock albums of the 90's.
    The guitar on that record SHREDZ.
    Their trajectory was straight downward from there, though.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I agree, but you can't fade the production value of Siamese Dream. It made the cheapest stereos sound like the schitt.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    billy corgan makes me want to smoke crack

BUT

there were a few nice tracks on Gish, that "drown" track on the "singles" OST was good, and ill ride for "Rocket" on siamese dream (absurd guitar tones!). and '1979' was interesting. but 'tonight tonight' and that 'world is a vampire' song and all that later shit BLOWS.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    first 2 albums were killer...as was

drown...

everything after that i could do without. their performance of "Cherub Rock" on SNL made me go as a pre-teen.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Saw then at Emo's Houston on the Gish tour back when Emo's was still doing free shows.

Loved that first album to death but Siamese Dream was boring as hell to me. Quit them at that point.

• first 2 albums were killer...as was

drown...

everything after that i could do without. their performance of "Cherub Rock" on SNL made me go as a pre-teen.

Seen. I shelled out some major $$ for my broke college ass to get to D/FW from Monroe, LA to go see them two days after seeing that performance.

And "Drown" is bliss.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

I agree, but you can't fade the production value of Siamese Dream. It made the cheapest stereos sound like the schitt.

I believe billy corgan played almost every instrument on siamese dream besides drums. is this the truth? sucks if you're the rest of the band, but he was a control freak.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Their new bass player is hot.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i kinda liked their song on this: