Joanne Newsome?

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I have an urge to go out right now and buy one of her albums. Does she get the SS seal of approval?If she were to battle Dorothy Ashby in a Harpist showdown, who would come out on top.I like the few songs I've heard from her. Is Ys the album i should be checking.bonus beat:she's very pretty

Comments

• If she were to battle Dorothy Ashby in a Harpist showdown, who would come out on top.

Ashby fool.

I dunno, I remember there being a couple page thread a while back about her and the feelings were mixed. I cant listen to her (her lyrics make me cringe). but theres a lot of people who are crazy about it.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

If she were to battle Dorothy Ashby in a Harpist showdown, who would come out on top.

please be serious.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

If she were to battle Dorothy Ashby in a Harpist showdown, who would come out on top.

please be serious.

it was a joke. sorry, i guess i need to touch up on my (lacking) harp humor.

but dueling harps would be a fun battle to watch.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I cant listen to her (her lyrics make me cringe).

lol I like her lyrics - Fables! Give me more fables! - it's her voice and phrasing that makes me clock out after two minutes. I feel like I'm at Music Hour in kindergarten with the crazy hippie lady who sings at the library on Saturdays and bakes muffins with too much molasses as the special guest.

She's got nice clothes and nice hair and sounds like she is trying waaaayyyy too hard in interviews.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Forget what she looks like, dude. Listen to the goddamned story she's telling you:

come on home, the poppies are all grown knee-deep by now
    blossoms all have fallen, and the pollen ruins the plow
    peonies nod in the breeze and while they wetly bow, with
    hydrocephalitic listlessness ants mop up-a their brow

and everything with wings is restless, aimless, drunk and dour
    the butterflies and birds collide at hot, ungodly hours
    and my clay-colored motherlessness rangily reclines
    - come on home, now! all my bones are dolorous with vines

Buy the LP instead of the CD because the packaging and pressing is top notch. There's a book inside there, dude. A book! Buy the record, get your dreamcatcher out of the top drawer, lite some nag champa, dim the red lights, and get all atmospheric on that ass.

Seriously, no one is touching her. If Rakim were born a white girl in Nevada City-- with elfin ears and nimble fingers and a voice that made people want to hurl and was a third eye medium for sibyls and seers and told you long-tailed lore sprinkled with fairy dust and angel shit under a backdrop of harpstrings--his name would be Joanna.

told; the meteorite is the source of the light
    and the meteor's just what we see
    and the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

and the meteorite's just what causes the light
    and the meteor's how it's perceived
    and the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I think many listeners boil it down to love/hate based on the voice. Some folks might think the lyrics are cringeworthy. Both of these things draw me into her music, though.
    A unique voice can act like another instrument, if you don???t get too hung up on what it ???should??? sound like. And amongst the pixie talk and fairy dances, sometimes the crazy-hippie-lady at kindergarten-library music hour has something to say.

She may not be for everyone, but she might be for you....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    the crazy hippie lady who sings at the library on Saturdays and bakes muffins with too much molasses

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I bought and re-sold The Milk-Eyed Mender in the same day.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

gimme Georgia Kelly or Joel Andrews any day of the week..

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    diane hooked me up with free tix last month to see bjork and she opened up. i'm not a big fan but it was pretty engaging to see someone play harp. that thing has too many strings

she had pete townshend windmill arm

afterwards, people could text messages and it would show up on the big screen and one read "Tori Amos is the best!"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I will ride for Ys.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    FONT SIZE=2>will you keep your fancy clothes on, for me?/ can you bear a little longer to wear that leash?
    my love, I swear by the air I breathe/ sooner or later, you'll bare your teeth
    /FONT>