Gas vs Charcoal (grill related)

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Gas = convenience. Charcoal = flavor.Convenience vs flavor. Serious existential issue.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Gas = convenience. Charcoal = flavor.

Convenience vs flavor. Serious existential issue.

Depends on if you're into grilling or BBQing. Most people into the former still prefer charcoal even though it's less convenient. No real BBQer would fuck with a gas grill though. Charcoal or nada.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I prefer charcoal...Campfire grilling is delic' as well...I have always wanted to experiment with different woods!!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Get the charcoal grill and use the wood chips, that burn a bit hotter and have that smokey flavor. Also get one of these:

they work like a charm and you can pick one up at most hardware stores or Whole Foods type place for $9. Makes life easier when you can get those coals going!!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Charcoal for me, but it??s also possible to combine gas with smoking chips (for example small pieces of former Jack Daniels Barrels) to get a win-win situation

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Depends on if you're into grilling or BBQing. Most people into the former still prefer charcoal even though it's less convenient. No real BBQer would fuck with a gas grill though. Charcoal or nada.

I smoke ribs on a gas grill that would tear your world all up. Put my soaked hik'ry chips in cake pan blocking the direct flames.

. Also get one of these:

how long does that tube bitch take to have hot coals?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I smoke ribs on a gas grill that would tear your world all up. Put my soaked hik'ry chips in cake pan blocking the direct flames.

You ain't real, son!

I'm kidding. But seriously, most of the people I know who BBQ would 1) slap the ribs out of my mouth for confusing confusing grilling vs. BBQing and 2) really prefer charcoal but you know, hardcore BBQ are like the mighty collectros. Charcoal = OG, first pressing. Grilling = reish. Microwave = Microwave???

• Options

This is what I was going to say, you can combine gas grills with small smoker boxes and get a simliar effect. You can also hook gas grills up to your home natural gas line, but it's a bit more expensive and probably a little too involved.

If you're into smokers, take a look at the Big Green Egg (google it). My brother-in-law cooks on it and he makes some of the best food I've ever tasted.

I just picked up a Weber Genesis E-310 in the raer copper color, it's gas. Also got a Weber round charcoal grill in perfect condition last weekend at a garage sale for a dollar!!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

Charcoal = OG, first pressing. Grilling = reish. Microwave = Microwave???

this is how all non-RR topics should be handled. nice work.

You ain't real, son!

I'm kidding. But seriously, most of the people I know who BBQ would 1) slap the ribs out of my mouth for confusing confusing grilling vs. BBQing and 2) really prefer charcoal but you know, hardcore BBQ are like the mighty collectros. Charcoal = OG, first pressing. Grilling = reish. Microwave = Microwave???

You're in SF, right? LOL @ BBQ in California.

Don't tet my Que.

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts

Get the charcoal grill and use the wood chips, that burn a bit hotter and have that smokey flavor. Also get one of these:

they work like a charm and you can pick one up at most hardware stores or Whole Foods type place for $9. Makes life easier when you can get those coals going!!

SO NECESSARY.

• igboigbo 44 Posts

SO NECESSARY.

I've been using a charcoal chimney for a few years now. I would never go back to Match Lights. Match lights or lighter fluid leaves an ill taste on the charcoals, the only fuel the chimney needs is a few pieces of crumpled up newspaper, or old brown paper grocery bags. Takes about 10-15 minutes to get the coals white hot.

The way to go though is with 100% Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal over any pressed briquet charcoal. Kingsford and those type of charcoals are usually just pressed sawdust and Home Depot floor droppings. NO thanks

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    the Big Green Egg

or this one

that real shitt!

• Gas is for weekdays, charcoal is for weekends.

Also, charcoal is going to offer a dryer heat than gas.

Gas is for weekdays, charcoal is for weekends.

Reged: 09/12/05

Been waiting two years for this.

• LuckyLaneLuckyLane 35 Posts
    Gas or charcoal? BOTH. Different tools for different jobs. On a weekend I love wood-grillin' some fish with a bottle o'beer in my hand, nothing tastes better...but on a tuesday night when the kids are hungry and the burgers gotta get COOKED you do what you gotta do.

Big ups to the hardwood Cowboy charcoal, and if you don't use a chimney you're just plain doing it wrong.

If you're in the market for a wood-burner, cosine on the big green egg if you've got the cash. Otherwise, stay far away from the big-ass blingers with all the fixins unless you host a lot of cookouts...a large grill's a bitch to work for just a couple of people, too much surface area and necessary combustables. There's a reason the Weber kettles have been the standard for so many years, they're elegent in simplicity.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Although I love the charcoal flavor, sometimes its good to "taste the meat, not the heat" (AYO!)

that real shitt!

• Options
    Gas is for weekdays, charcoal is for weekends.

HAHA!! Pace yourself GricoSuave, looking forward to '09!

elegent in simplicity.

i'm looking at those sawed in half oil drum type jawns, but want to have the option of gas too.

• Gas is for weekdays, charcoal is for weekends.

HAHA!! Pace yourself GricoSuave, looking forward to '09!

And....

I'm out.

5000 G

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Kingsford and those type of charcoals are usually just pressed sawdust and Home Depot floor droppings. NO thanks
    If only. They also contain petro chemicals. I have switched to wood (mostly mosquit because that's whats available) and would never go back.

I use a weber and like to roast whole chickens using the indirect method.

Coat chicken in kosher salt, fennell seed and garlic (or red pepper flakes). Let sit overnight. Put a pan in the center of the grill and pile coals on ethier side of pan. You can put some chicken broth and onions and other savory things in the pan if you like. Takes 45 - 90 minitues and you need to add fuel as things go along.

I also like to brine a turkey and cook it the same way.

• igboigbo 44 Posts

I also like to brine a turkey and cook it the same way.

Brining the chicken is just as good. My wife got me a Beer-Can Chicken pan for the grill from Williams-Sonoma. It saves me from shoving a painted aluminum can into the cavity of the bird.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Gas?!? thats for suburban fams..

ALL ABOUT THE CHARCOAL and/or Woodchips.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I prefer Charcoal grey w/ my clothes over Gas blue.