Unreleased Sharon Jones track..............

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
.......broadcast tonight...tune in or log on...........(time is CST)

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anyone tune in? feedback?

bueller? bueller?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    can we get a link in this bitch?

its a real,live radio show, not a podcast or anything...web address is on the label, I posted the link before but that didnt seem to help anyone tune in,...and unfortunately, no archiving at the station, as that is really expensive. Sorry y'all missed it. And I aint gonna post the track, I posted it once and it went pretty much unnoticed, so whatever.
    Thanks for the support though! You guys are the best! Thanks again, really.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    unfortunately, no archiving at the station, as that is really expensive.

Dude, get thee to divshare or zshare or wherever and post it yourself.

unfortunately, no archiving at the station, as that is really expensive.

Dude, get thee to divshare or zshare or wherever and post it yourself.

Unfortunately if the station manager or program director got wind of that, I would lose my show. It is against the station rules. To archive or post an already played show, the station could lose its ability to play music without having to pay the fees to do so. I think the way the license is put together, since they are an all volunteer station, they can play music without the fees usally assessed to for-profit stations...the cost issue isnt with bandwidith or digital storing space, it has something to do with the station license. I just remember during my training, they told me about a bazillion times, "do not post recordings of your show on the internet." Maybe one day we can be as big as WFMU, but the station has already been on the air for 30 years, I suppose if we arent there yet, we probably will never be. Although someone donated $10,000 the other day!

• I be mad illegally posting my shows post facto.

or, if you really want to play it safe, you can always do streaming content. that is 100% legal.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    The radio station I'm on archives the talk programs, but the music shows are available only by streaming. The idea behind the rules governing music streaming is that the listener should not be able to predict when a particular song will come up (and copy it). I wanted to link to the RIAA rules here, but they seem to have removed it. As I remember, webcasters can only play:

A program that runs at least three hours long without repeating;

containing only 3 songs by each given artist;

no more than 3 songs from any album (4 if a comp).

So, suppose James Brown died and you want to do a tribute show of all JB. I'm pretty sure that technically you can broadcast it, but not stream that show. You can't stream that many songs all by JB. But the rules prohibit more than 3 songs by whichever name the track is credited to. So if you wanted to pad it out with enough Maceo, Bobby Byrd, and Lyn Collins, you would be in compliance. One artist who would really work well is Madlib, what with all the aliases.

These rules inhibit the ability of college and public radio DJs, and bloggers to turn people on to good music, and in turn sell more CDs for the industry.