Slick Rick Appreciation

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I haven't heard anything from dude in a while then this... I can't say I'm in love with this track but what ever.. I can't think of anyone that has such a unique flow that no one has bitten... anyway.. what are y'alls favorite slick rick joints.. maybe post them up..speak on it

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Dana Dane?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

although I would say that at the time of the Show/ La Di Da Di there was some biters. Dana Dane comes to mind- even though I know they came up together.

The RULER! CRUMBS!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i like his entire first album. i'd consider it to easily be in the top 10 rap albums of all time and its definitely in my top 5.

subsequent to the adventures album, i liked "sitting in my car", "behind bars" "the art of storytelling (outkast)", and...that might be it. was he on that cru song? if so, i liked that one too. im sure there are others. thats all i can think of....but again, adventures was genius.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    my all time favorite Ricky D jointz-

the moment i feared (this will ALWAYS be my favorite... had me in awe from the 1st time i heard it)
    la di da di
    treat her like a prostitute (the original street version w/ Doug on the beatbox)
    vanessa williams (another street classic w/ Doug E)
    children's story

there's another later release, a japan only joint that I like a LOT... i don't think it's "women lose weight", i think it's somthing else... i can't remember... don't feel like digging through my records for it either... it's dope though

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i like his entire first album. i'd consider it to easily be in the top 10 rap albums of all time and its definitely in my top 5.

subsequent to the adventures album, i liked "sitting in my car", "behind bars" "the art of storytelling (outkast)", and...that might be it. was he on that cru song? if so, i liked that one too. im sure there are others. thats all i can think of....but again, adventures was genius.
    what u think of crepey rape in 'indian girl'

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

:

what's this about????

Never heard of it? Enquiring minds wanna know!

:

what's this about????

Never heard of it? Enquiring minds wanna know!

she didnt hear cuz i said it kinda low
    and then i broke out because i really had to go
    i saw miss america- she got millions
    i'm talkin bout that ho named vanessa williams
    she saw me, mc ricky d
    came up close and she grabbed my body
    (singing)she said "hold me.... hold me
    nev-er let me go until you told me, told me"
    i said, uh- i'll tell ya what, listen up ya dumb slut
    take ya fingernails from off my butt
    and on- second thought you look cute in that leather
    still quite shocked i said well, i never!
    i think your fingers are a little too sticky
    she said oh ricky i swear you're too picky
    i said me picky? hell no!
    so then i pulled down my pants and told her to (SWING LOW)
    she did, too! and i was happy as a bee
    cuz now my cock was a celebrity
    because vanessa sucked my dick (yo, quit it Rick!)
    she sucked the dick of mc slick rick
    to the- tic toc ya don't stop
    a-to the- toc tic and ya don't quit hit it

(sorry SS ladies... yall know how that ol' slick rhythm used to get on down though)

i always used to want to interview Rick just so I could ask him about if he ever met Vanessa and if she even knew about that little rhyme he used to say

• vanessa williams as he's calling it, is just the extra verse Rick used to put on La Di Da Di. It is ladidadi .. with doug beatboxing. Just an old extra verse.

and the women lose wieght is on the Morcheeba album. Alchemist did a remix of it as well which is great. And yes ricks first album is perfection as far as rapping goes. Slick Rick is will always be "that dude" to me. He's in a class of his own in that his style isn't really comparable to the usual GOAT rappers. Rick just gets to be Rick and that's good enough.

whoops.. saw you said it isn't women lose weight... sorry.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    He's one of my favorites too. There aren't too many rappers that I love based on the strength of a relatively small number of songs. The songs he did well were amazing. I can listen to Great Adventures over and over. I've got it on all 3 formats (vinyl, casette, cd) and I've bumped all of them many many times. I love Hey Young World. There's something about it.

He's got some moments on the later albums, but doesn't really capture the feeling of the first album. Sittin in My Car has a such a feel good vibe to it. It makes me happy. Yes, he was on the Cru song, but I kind of remember the beat being more memorable than his verse. There are those interviews with him in jail and he pretty much disses Warren G's involvement on behind bars. It's pretty funny.

Dana Dane says he immitated Rick. In Rakim Told Me he said he liked Rick's accent and he wanted to sound like that. I guess they were friends, so it wasn't a big deal.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    I love Hey Young World. There's something about it.

that song was so good it even made "love, peace & nappyness" somewhat enjoyable.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love Rick's 2nd album almost as much as I love his 1st...true story.

• One of the best ever..and so fucking stylish. Long live the ruler!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    His verse is raw on that outkast joint :

"stayed with the bitch out of pitty" & "find out that there just things to just dump sperm in"

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    I like both tracks he did with Outkast (are there more?), Storytellin' rmx and Street Talkin'. I also really liked this:

...which had the original-speed sampled intro that was left off the album because they ran the intro straight into the song.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts

love thee rulah!

vanessa williams as he's calling it, is just the extra verse Rick used to put on La Di Da Di. It is ladidadi .. with doug beatboxing. Just an old extra verse.

okay, i guess this will be stupid soulstrut argument 32,985... its not la di da di, hommie. how can it be part of la di da di? it has nothing to do with la di da di. Doug E did that same "la di da di" beatbox beat for almost all of the routines he did with Rick... la di da di, vanessa williams, treat em like a prostitute, davy crockett (which became "Indian Girl" on the Great Adventures lp). All this stuff was just live routines years before it ever hit wax, and some of it never hit wax, like this vanessa williams rhyme. yall can correct me all day if i'm discussing the jeezys and weezys, but when you get into the ricky d realm i takes no shorts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    slick rick and outkast is on this jam...classic

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    'All Alone (No One To Be With)'is one of his joints I love the most.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    MC Ricky D is an all time fav!

Tho, the last thing I bought with him on it was the Morcheeba - Women Lose Weight 12"

Great 12" btw

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

The RULER! CRUMBS!

Just the fact that he was calling people "crumbs" is fucking great.

Also, I loved his flow on "Lick the Balls" (yes, yes, AYO! and all that).

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    that "best of slick rick" tape that j-love put out was unreleased rapps, the og beat for "i own america",etc.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

what u think of crepey rape in 'indian girl'
    no one wants to deal w/ the tough issues!

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

The RULER! CRUMBS!

I always thought that "crumbs" was used like...Oh crumbs! I spilt my beer! not like...Yous guys are a bunch of crumbs...UK dudes can you set this str8!!!!!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

The RULER! CRUMBS!

I always thought that "crumbs" was used like...Oh crumbs! I spilt my beer! not like...Yous guys are a bunch of crumbs...UK dudes can you set this str8!!!!!!

Having grown up with Dangermouse and Penfold in my life, this was always my interpretation.

To echo sentiments expressed earlier, Adventures is also one of my favourite rap albums of all time.

The RULER! CRUMBS!

and peasants... don't forget peasants. and he used to threaten to crush every popular rapper back in that era. LL Cool? "I'll crush him". Daddy Kane? "I'll crush him too" (and that was his boy at the time!)

Also, I loved his flow on "Lick the Balls"

which was TOTALLY bitten by Treach (remember him? one of those used-to-be-contenders-for-GOAT that time seems to have forgotten)... i used to point that out to people all the time but they never seemed to hear it

a-ight, i gotta stop poasting... too much soulstrut interaction in one day for me... at least I got folks bickering in the drunk Amy thread... my job is done

• vanessa williams as he's calling it, is just the extra verse Rick used to put on La Di Da Di. It is ladidadi .. with doug beatboxing. Just an old extra verse.

okay, i guess this will be stupid soulstrut argument 32,985... its not la di da di, hommie. how can it be part of la di da di? it has nothing to do with la di da di. Doug E did that same "la di da di" beatbox beat for almost all of the routines he did with Rick... la di da di, vanessa williams, treat em like a prostitute, davy crockett (which became "Indian Girl" on the Great Adventures lp). All this stuff was just live routines years before it ever hit wax, and some of it never hit wax, like this vanessa williams rhyme. yall can correct me all day if i'm discussing the jeezys and weezys, but when you get into the ricky d realm i takes no shorts

sorry man. I didn't mean anything buy it. I've talked to rick (who said it's ladi dadi and they couldn't put it on the record because they were asked to leave it off so there was no controversey) I got the audio. It's the end of la di da di. Doug says "let's finish it" during ladi dadi.. rick does the tick tock you don't stop after the verse. It's the end of ladi dadi. I'm not arguing. Chill out.

plus.. .. for everyone else. the Kill Niggaz that was posted. Rick has said it's his least favorite song he's ever done. HE said Clark Kent and the label pretty much forced him to do it and he felt like an idiot even saying the chorus.

Alsoooooooooo... apparently there's an unrelease Large Pro remix of Behind Bars which got shelved because they liked Warrens more. And.... The OG OG OG of I own america was to the JB's monorail beat that EPMD used. They played it on the radio a few times. I have the tape but can't find it. If anyone has it please let me know.

and finally.......... The third song Doug and Rick did at the LADIDADI and The Show sessions was called "It's hard to get (or find.. if forget which) a job nowadays. If anyone has info on that, please let me know.

I love me some Rick. Sorry to offend anyone. Thank you and goodnight.

vanessa williams as he's calling it, is just the extra verse Rick used to put on La Di Da Di. It is ladidadi .. with doug beatboxing. Just an old extra verse.

sorry man. I didn't mean anything buy it. I've talked to rick (who said it's ladi dadi and they couldn't put it on the record because they were asked to leave it off so there was no controversey) I got the audio. It's the end of la di da di. Doug says "let's finish it" during ladi dadi.. rick does the tick tock you don't stop after the verse. It's the end of ladi dadi. I'm not arguing. Chill out.

and finally.......... The third song Doug and Rick did at the LADIDADI and The Show sessions was called "It's hard to get (or find.. if forget which) a job nowadays. If anyone has info on that, please let me know.

I love me some Rick. Sorry to offend anyone. Thank you and goodnight.

naw, there's no offense, son... just straightening it out, that's all. regardless of what rick may have told you, i have like multiple recordings of rick doing la di da di live before it was released on record, back when it was a routine. i am pretty sure i also have the tape you are referring to when he goes from la di da di into vanessa williams... he is just going from one routine to another, my man. i ALSO have the full recording session of Doug & Rick doing la di da di in the studio, complete with all the outtakes. I mean, you tell me... does la di da di sound like it ends when it's supposed to on the record or do you think it's supposed to have another totally unrelated rhyme stuck onto the end of it? Don't let the tic tocs and toc tics lead you astray, cousin.

like i said, this is just another stupid soulstrut disagreement that barely matters and there is no malice or, as you kids like to say, "ass-hurtedness", on my part. but as the guardian of THAT REAL SCHITT it is important that i correct any incorrections, even those that may have been made by Slick Rick himself (he was a dust fiend back in those days and I'm sure he remembers very few of the details from the 80s). whatever the case, i'm glad that somebody on here other than me even knows the vanessa williams schitt!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    great adventures of slick rick and the show/ladidadi 12"

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    My friends' band opened up and backed rick a few weeks ago. It was a great show. I was fortunate enough to meet him backstage afterwards. An incredibly cordial dude.

One of my fav's is the "It's A Boy" Large Pro rmx - I still work that in my sets.