HipHopSite is going completely digital.

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    TNG and Brian are both totally right.

If I were in Pizzo's shoes I would probably do the same thing.

I can't imagine looking down a 5 year lease where my model is based on selling indie rap vinyl on mail order. Vinyl itself may be experiencing a comeback, but THAT shit is dead.

Never that, son!

The underground is like roaches, baby--we never die!

In all seriousness, I'm surprised they had lingered this long--apparently not even SoulStrut dudes buy that stuff anymore.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Vaguely related: I stopped into TSL for the first time in months last Friday and was shocked to discover that they had a Mr. Complex section.

What part of the game is that?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Relying on new product sales will put you on the fast track to retail pitfall though, for sure.

See - this is what it's all about. I think one major reason why the indie rap online sites are getting out is because the future market on this is limited at best and neither store was set up to do any kind of meaningful used CD/LP business.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The main reason I stock virtually NO new product is because the wholesale cost is so high, my mark-up barely covers the cost to ship it. If you are a dude putting out new music, or even reissues/compilations, talk to your label or distributor and ask why the WHOLESALE PRICE on LPs is $12.

There is definitely a market for it (new releases on vinyl) but for a small independent like me, it makes absolutely zero financial sense.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Dj's aren't playin hip hop anymore and if they do it's on some mash up tip. An underground hardcore beat with a pop rap accapella. Or a rock/hip hop mash up. Or they've jumped on the b-more, hipster hop bandwagon. Nothing wrong with that, just saying, things done changed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    army of the pharoahs!
    i see what you did there

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Who's left out there, in terms of selling new rap vinyl online?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ughh.com?

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    Access Hip Hop
    Has always been pretty good also...
    I live way up north in Michigan, and rely on sites to get the newest stuff, so all these closures are kind of a bummer for me... We have a local indy record store, but they are mainly punk/hardcore type stuff... They have some hip-hop wax, but nothing I am ready to drop $$$ on...
    Peace
    Zeb

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

This is the UK, remember. We're the kind of people who make Crazy Frog a #1 hit.

I'm just blown away because I don't remember that song at all. Granted, in 1994, I was listening to Cypress Hill after school every day and smoking as much pot as I could get my hands on.

It probably wasn't a number one in the US in 1994 - in fact, it probably wasn't a hit over there at all (you are in the US, I take it?). I think it featured over the closing credits to Four Weddings and A Funeral, which was such a huge hit that it had a knock-on effect with this song as well. It's the 12th best-selling single of all time in the UK.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

This is the UK, remember. We're the kind of people who make Crazy Frog a #1 hit.

I'm just blown away because I don't remember that song at all. Granted, in 1994, I was listening to Cypress Hill after school every day and smoking as much pot as I could get my hands on.

It probably wasn't a number one in the US in 1994 - in fact, it probably wasn't a hit over there at all (you are in the US, I take it?). I think it featured over the closing credits to Four Weddings and A Funeral, which was such a huge hit that it had a knock-on effect with this song as well. It's the 12th best-selling single of all time in the UK.

I'm genuinely surprised it's only the 12th biggest seller, I truly am disconnected now that Smash Hits can no longer bring the realness into my life.

Apart from Whitney, Brian Adams and Celine Dion (yeah! go UK with our popular music tastes!) what are the other 8?

I'm genuinely surprised it's only the 12th biggest seller, I truly am disconnected now that Smash Hits can no longer bring the realness into my life.

Apart from Whitney, Brian Adams and Celine Dion (yeah! go UK with our popular music tastes!) what are the other 8?

"Candle In The Wind '97" - Elton John (4.86 million)
    "Do They Know It's Christmas?" - Band Aid (3.55m)
    "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen (2.13m)
    "Mull Of Kintyre" - Wings (2.05m)
    "Rivers Of Bablyon" / "Brown Girl In The Ring" - Boney M (1.985m)
    "You're The One That I Want" - John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John (1.975m)
    "Relax" - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1.91m)
    "She Loves You" - The Beatles (1.89m)
    "Unchained Melody" - Robson & Jerome (1.84m)
    "Mary's Boychild / Oh My Lord" - Boney M (1.79m)
    "Evergreen" / "Anything Is Possible" - Will Young (1.78m)
    "Love Is All Around" - Wet Wet Wet (1.78m)

Bryan Adams is at #18, Whitney is at #36 and Celine Dion is at #39.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Ah. Yes, I'm American and I've never seen that film, so it's possible I've never heard that song before.

Is my life the poorer for not having heard it?

Ah. Yes, I'm American and I've never seen that film, so it's possible I've never heard that song before.

Is my life the poorer for not having heard it?

No, absolutely not. This particular version is overblown and hamfisted, but the original, by The Troggs, is kinda pretty. An interesting adjunct to its success is that the royalties it generated for Troggs vocalist/writer Reg Presley enabled him to pursue full-time his obsession with establishing the authenticity of corn-circles.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I hang my head at not guessing any of the top 4, didn't even think of factoring the constantly declining sales into account. Only the "people's princess" getting mangled, a foppish street crawler, and the impact of primetime ITV have pushed anything from the last 20 years in there.

Sorry, thread jack over, please continue.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Boney M is in there twice?!? Jebus.

Dude, you would not believe how big they were back then. Despite the revisionist view that'd have you believe that the Clash and the Pistols were blasting on every UK street corner in '77/'78, the truth is that Boney M was the biggest act in the country.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    boney m > clash

YA HEARD

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Dude, you would not believe how big they were back then. Despite the revisionist view that'd have you believe that the Clash and the Pistols were blasting on every UK street corner in '77/'78, the truth is that Boney M was the biggest act in the country.

Man, that's nutty professor. I wouldn't have been too surprised to see a group like the Beatles on the list multiple times, but Boney M? Wow.