Bill Murray sitting in for Harry Caray (YTR)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
broadcasting for the cubs

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I LOVE BILL FUCKIN MURRAY!!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i know! this is PART 1 of 5

i miss this bill murray

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    came across this the other day after the caddyshack vs stripes thread,
    and this popped up. vaery funny!

"Anybody who can't get drunk by the 8th inning doesn't belong here....."

that was a riot. classic murray. the phone ringing and he answers it. hahaha.
    those line-ups remind me of my youth, and my baseball card collection.
    "she's got a future, but I don't think it's in baseball."

him and dave letterman have similar deliveries, i just noticed.

i know! this is PART 1 of 5

PHEW!
    I gasped when it cut out at the end.

this one is melt for the crowd shots alone. but with bill's commentary:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts

One of the very few times I've ever laughed at an animal. That is ree-dickleous.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It doesn't hurt that Steve Stone is next to him. Stone, one of the best broadcasters I've ever seen, is used to Caray's antics. Though it's clear that he's stalling early on, Stone picks it up and plays the straight man like only he could.

It looks like some sort of a breakdancing accident

RIP Eric Gregg.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I would like to note that as he says "get good wood on it" the ball connects with his crotch. it's right at the beginning of that first clip.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This shit is hilarious. Bill Murray was coming down hard on the Cubbie faithful. And he should! It's all about the White Sox anyway. I went to the game tonight...

Caught a vague photo of a rainbow after the rain cleared up, and this little dude who yelled more than once: "Go Sox".

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    "I was a baptized a cub fan". Classic. That Cubs lineup was damn good. Wasn't Dunston supposed to be the second coming?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    It doesn't hurt that Steve Stone is next to him. Though it's clear that he's stalling early on, Stone picks it up and plays the straight man like only he could.

i agree. I think Stone is pretty good at playing the straight man early on though. He sets it up pretty good for Bill a couple of times, like when he says "you hit with no spikes on, has that been your style for a while now?"

i love Shawon Dunston! he was one of my favorite dudes on the giants a few years ago before he retired. also is this the Cubs lineup with Jamie Moyer on it? i can't believe moyer is still starting. dude is like 45 or something. i have a soft spot for veteran players and love it when they have a successful season late in the game (with the exception of roger clemens)

(with the exception of roger clemens)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It doesn't hurt that Steve Stone is next to him. Though it's clear that he's stalling early on, Stone picks it up and plays the straight man like only he could.

i agree. I think Stone is pretty good at playing the straight man early on though. He sets it up pretty good for Bill a couple of times, like when he says "you hit with no spikes on, has that been your style for a while now?"

i love Shawon Dunston! he was one of my favorite dudes on the giants a few years ago before he retired. also is this the Cubs lineup with Jamie Moyer on it? i can't believe moyer is still starting. dude is like 45 or something. i have a soft spot for veteran players and love it when they have a successful season late in the game (with the exception of roger clemens)

Shawon Dunston was actually with the Giants for 3 separate tours of duty. But he was a Cubby for more than a decade before that. A servicable and likeable player.

I could regale you all with my stories of growing up a Cubs fan in the 80s, but suffice it all to say that Jody Davis was my favorite Cub. When I turned 7 years of age, I was "turning Jody's number." It was like that. I was too young to know the truth: Davis was middling at best as a hitter. Pretty good glove and called a good game. Slow as the Southern molasses he grew up on. I always rooted for the underdog - even on the ultimate team of underdogs.

This site will own your soul if you're a stat-head like me.