The Beatles? Who are they? A band?

124»

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Check this thread.

I know it ain't quite an original UK pressing of the White Album (what is it with yanks and this album?) but Love is actually pretty good. I really do think that half the hatters on here have never even listened to it.

One doesn't need to listen to it to know that it's a wholly inappropriate recommendation.

It's like recommending that Bill Laswell-remixed crap as a starting point to someone interested in Fela, or those mad Scientist records to somebody curious about Lee Perry. Or maybe one of Puffy's posthumous cut-n-paste jobs to someone that's never heard Biggie.

It's arguably even worse, given that (correctly or not), the Beatles are habitually credited as being THE group to a)shift the dominant commercial format from the 7" to the LP, and b)raise the LP from haphazard collection of songs to immaculately constructed art form.

Hmmm, yeah... I guess those comparisons were all too mild.

How about: "It's like recommending US3 to someone that inquires about the Blue Note catalog"?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Check this thread.

I know it ain't quite an original UK pressing of the White Album (what is it with yanks and this album?) but Love is actually pretty good. I really do think that half the hatters on here have never even listened to it.

One doesn't need to listen to it to know that it's a wholly inappropriate recommendation.

It's like recommending that Bill Laswell-remixed crap as a starting point to someone interested in Fela, or those mad Scientist records to somebody curious about Lee Perry. Or maybe one of Puffy's posthumous cut-n-paste jobs to someone that's never heard Biggie.

It's arguably even worse, given that (correctly or not), the Beatles are habitually credited as being THE group to a)shift the dominant commercial format from the 7" to the LP, and b)raise the LP from haphazard collection of songs to immaculately constructed art form.

How about: "It's like recommending US3 to someone that inquires about the Blue Note catalog"?

how about recommending a hypothetical mix that Rudy Van Gelder has put together for a Cirque Du Soliel show about the label?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

how about recommending a hypothetical mix that Rudy Van Gelder has put together for a Cirque Du Soliel show about the label?

yuck. why not a compilation or box set?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Check this thread.

Or perhaps an album composed of Jay-Z vocals laid over beats composed of Beatles samples!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do the Beatles have 10 Great Albums? Im talkin GREAT.

My Co_worker seems to think they do.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Up until "Sgt. Pepper", the US releases of Beatles albums were all noticeably different from the corresponding UK versions, even though they were often released within days of each other. US-only releases like "Beatles '65", "Something New", "Yesterday and Today", "Beatles VI" and "The Beatles Second Album" were in many cases compilations of singles, b-sides, EP cuts, alternate mixes and tracks which hadn't made it onto the US releases of UK albums.

US Capitol at least got the Magical Mystery Tour right when they packaged that as an LP rather than release the same format as the UK 6 track EP.
    I was just reading yesterday that Europe imported the hell out of the US MMT LP b/c it was generally considered to work so well as a full-length (oh wait - that was here actually wasn't it?)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Do the Beatles have 10 Great Albums? Im talkin GREAT.

Thats too much to ask of any rock band... hell if you want more than 5 great albums from a band its still gonna be a short list

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

yawn

yawn.

are you 13?

i used to think blindly hating on the beatles was awesome too back then.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i still haven't listened to a beatles or bob dylan album

• -

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i haven't listened to anyone play a note EVER. fuck all musicians.
    word, glad to have someone on my side. good looking out homie!

i haven't listened to anyone play a note EVER. fuck all musicians.
    word, glad to have someone on my side. good looking out homie!

hahaaahahaha

[BLUE JAY WAY

Bud shank's version =

• i still haven't listened to a beatles or bob dylan album

I'd fuck with a Beatles album...eventually. But I can live my whole life and never hear a Dylan album and feel 100% normal.

• I think most folks' problem with the Beatles doesn't stem from their music being talentless and irredeemable, its more of a resentment towards them being so massively overrated, all while other artists from the era languish in obscurity. Look no further than Paul Mccartney still being treated like some kind of rock and roll ubermensch with any kind of relevence whatsoever.

• hook it uuuuuuuuuup

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    At some point in the future, I'm hoping that the phrase "ignorance is never a good look" will deeply resonate with some of you gleefully short-sighted morons budding music appreciators.

So much of this thread, pre-baited comments or no, is

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    At some point in the future, I'm hoping that the phrase "ignorance is never a good look" will deeply resonate with some of you gleefully short-sighted morons budding music appreciators.

confessions of a rockist

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    i still haven't listened to a beatles or bob dylan album

I'd fuck with a Beatles album...eventually. But I can live my whole life and never hear a Dylan album and feel 100% normal.
    You sound brown.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

confessions of a rockist

When appreciating Bob Dylan and The Beatles makes you a Rockist (a term invented as a lazy stand-in to mean "racist" by folks who, hypocritically, view rap music as some sort of artistic apex), then yes, I'm apparently a Rockist.

Does loving good Gospel music make me a Gospelist as well as a Rockist, Funkist, Soulist, Bluesist, and, (I suppose) Folkways-ist? Or am I just a plain old elitist for listening to different types of music?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

confessions of a rockist

When appreciating Bob Dylan and The Beatles makes you a Rockist (a term invented as a lazy stand-in to mean "racist" by folks who, hypocritically, view rap music as some sort of artistic apex), then yes, I'm apparently a Rockist.

Does loving good Gospel music make me a Gospelist as well as a Rockist, Funkist, Soulist, Bluesist, and, (why not) Folkways-ist? Or am I just a plain old elitist for listening to different types of music?
    yes

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

confessions of a rockist

Does loving good Gospel music make me a Gospelist as well as a Rockist, Funkist, Soulist, Bluesist, and, (why not) Folkways-ist? Or am I just a plain old elitist for listening to different types of music?
    yes

I say this in all seriousness: your greatest asset is your bluntness.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

confessions of a rockist

yes

I say this in all seriousness: your greatest asset is your bluntness.
    thank you

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

confessions of a rockist

Does loving good Gospel music make me a Gospelist as well as a Rockist, Funkist, Soulist, Bluesist, and, (I suppose) Folkways-ist? Or am I just a plain old elitist for listening to different types of music?

Surest way to spot a rockist: he gets ass-hurt over the very existence of the term.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

confessions of a rockist

Surest way to spot a rockist: he gets ass-hurt over the very existence of the term.

That, or my "Silver Bullet Band forever" tattoo.