Matos in Slate: Betty Davis is "tepid."

2»

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Calling "Inspiration Information" tepid is crazy talk. That is one hell of an album.
    Damn straight.

I'll agree that album still does it for me, solid all the way through.
    Consider the source though, Matos used to write for a local weekly here in Seattle and he's a complete jackass.

• but I seem to remember Here Comes... being one uninteresting blues jam after another.

I actually had avoided this album for years as this was my impression too, but once I finally listened to it a couple months ago I was pleasantly surprised to find that about half the album is nice progressive soul-rock type stuff, similar to Freedom Flight. But yeah, can't stand his blues cuts.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Man... Betty Davis is probbaly THE rawest female funk vocalists ever.

Anyone who says otherwise is talkin

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Matos is a prophet.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    but I seem to remember Here Comes... being one uninteresting blues jam after another.

I actually had avoided this album for years as this was my impression too, but once I finally listened to it a couple months ago I was pleasantly surprised to find that about half the album is nice progressive soul-rock type stuff, similar to Freedom Flight. But yeah, can't stand his blues cuts.

There's a couple of really nice cuts on there, big big fan of both Oxford Gray and Jennie Lee. The man's welcome to his opinion but anyone who can't see the beauty of Inspiration Information shouldn't really be writing about funk music full stop.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I copped both re-ished CDs. The Illson did a graet job trying to map out her-story.

I have a question.

I couple of times cats brought up how she could be aligned w/ Punk. Or if she emerged in the 80's she would be doin' Punk. I'm not feelin that idea. She seemed too steeped in the Blues to go that route. Just cause she "rocked" out w/ her Funk, i dont neccesarily think she'd be doin Punk. IMO.

Just babblin'.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I couple of times cats brought up how she could be aligned w/ Punk. Or if she emerged in the 80's she would be doin' Punk. I'm not feelin that idea. She seemed too steeped in the Blues to go that route. Just cause she "rocked" out w/ her Funk, i dont neccesarily think she'd be doin Punk. IMO.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me, too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

The only thing that might give the idea some wind is her DYI production on the 2nd album, but anything after this is a stretch. IMO.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's hard to say because she left music as punk was on the come up and though, yes, she prob saw herself within a blues and funk tradition more than rock, I think she would have embraced the DIY, outspoken, defiant attitudes of punk.

Plus, she used to be very much tied into the NY music scene and had she still been living in NYC (vs retired to outside Pittsburgh), I imagine she could have been aware and interested in what was happening with the punk scene.

I copped both re-ished CDs. The Illson did a graet job trying to map out her-story.

I have a question.

Just babblin'.