Dear Ms. Edith Damn-Head (DIY rel.)

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Or anyone else with some creative do it yourself know-how, I've decided to try to make my own curtains however I got no idea how to do so. matter-of-fact the only thing I think I know how to do is buy fabric. So once I've done that how can I get busy on covering my sun holes? Is there a book you can recommend or a method?My windows have been uncovered since I moved into my place nearly 4 months ago, morning sun sucks horribly and cool cloth drapes are my only hope

Comments

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Or anyone else with some creative do it yourself know-how, I've decided to try to make my own curtains however I got no idea how to do so. matter-of-fact the only thing I think I know how to do is buy fabric. So once I've done that how can I get busy o covering my sun holes? Is there a book you can recommend or a method.

My windows have been uncovered since I moved into my place nearly 4 months ago, morning sun sucks horribly and cool cloth drapes are my only hope

Hey A**m

What's up?

You'll find some tips here:

Making curtains

Peep the bottom of the page for more info.

Peace

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    rod pocket type of curtains are the easiest to make and those are really the only kind i have the patience for. do you know how to use a sewing machine at all? basically you just fold the top part of the panel over the back about 4 inches deep and sew making a narrow pocket at the top. that is where the rod slides through

this is a rod pocket curtain:

if you don't know how to sew you can use safety pins to pin the top but it will look a little janky

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    rod pocket type of curtains are the easiest to make and those are really the only kind i have the patience for. do you know how to use a sewing machine at all? basically you just fold the top part of the panel over the back about 4 inches deep and sew making a narrow pocket at the top. that is where the rod slides through

this is a rod pocket curtain:

if you don't know how to sew you can use safety pins to pin the top but it will look a little janky

word thanks for that advice (You too Moogman)

I got no ewing machines, but I got safetypins a plenty, photos of the finished project will be posted on SS as well as all whiny complainy racist hip-hoppy issues that came during the process

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    You can try using some fabric tape ( the kind you use with a iron ) but will probably need to re-enforce it with safety pins as Im not sure it will hold....depends on how heavy the cloth is.

I think the technical term is seam tape.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I got no sewing machines[/b] ,
    but I got safetypins a plenty, photos of the finished
    project will be posted on SS as well as all whiny
    complainy racist hip-hoppy issues that came during the process

On that page I posted there are tips for no-sew curtains:

"Traditionally to make curtains one had to sew them with a thread and a needle.
    Today you can make curtains without having to use a thread and needle.
    All it takes is bonding web, a hot iron and a damp cloth or curtain clips to create these no sew curtains.
    Apply the bonding web on the fabric with a hot iron and a damp cloth.
    This method can be used for curtains that are unlined and made from lightweight fabric.
    Use curtains clips to hang curtains.
    Make a double hem at the top of the curtains, attach the clips to the hem and hang them from a thin curtain pole or curtain wire.
    Curtain clips are available in a wide variety of designs and finishes;
    choose one that matches the d??cor of the room."

Peace

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I think the technical term is y'all on some bitch schitt with this thread.[/b] .