Five.

2»

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

1. My girlfriend and I have reached the "it's definitely a forever thing" stage and we're very happy about it/eachother.

2. Moving out of an apartment into a house. We'll have a huge garage, an extra room, a backyard, and no upstairs neighbors.

3. Soon to be parents of a new friend.

4. My best friends are expecting in September. I'm very excited about this. This and Knocked Up have made me pretty excited about the idea of being married and having kids some day.

5. Plums, apricots, nectarines, etc. For the SF heads, I like 22nd and Irving. It's clean, the prices are good, produce is generally good, cashiers are friendly, and you don't get mobbed on by 80 year old Chinese ladies who will actually push you out of the way and cut in line without even acknowledging your presence. This happens like crazy down the street at that super market on 26th.

dilikes:

1. the idea of packing everything up and moving.
    2. my friends moving the opposite direction of me.
    3. not knowing what to do with my life (job).
    4. my upstairs neighbors.
    5. getting old.

check out the full size picture of the Love Park photo. It looks like a giant snow cone is shooting out of the water.

http://www.oip.upenn.edu/photo/2006/centeno.20061012.165559.jpg

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    1. getting married very soon!
    2. today is payday
    3. friend is in town this weekend and staying w/ us
    4. on great terms again with my ex finally
    5. can ebay again after a 2 week hiatus
    (busted for shill bidding related )

1. my father's current girfriend has cancer, just found out.
    2. filling out immigration forms all week
    3. panic attacks are a bitch
    4. stress
    5. getting busted shill bidding

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    1. getting married very soon!

DUDE!

congrats

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

http://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/qDhMrHrEjDHj68bR5in0jg/l
    5. Plums, apricots, nectarines, etc. For the SF heads, I like 22nd and Irving. It's clean, the prices are good, produce is generally good, cashiers are friendly, and you don't get mobbed on by 80 year old Chinese ladies who will actually push you out of the way and cut in line without even acknowledging your presence. This happens like crazy down the street at that super market on 26th.

used to go there all the time when i was staying on irving at 12th. plus the dollar store down the street is where we used to go and get hella house supplies. still get my fish at the market a block from there. cheap and fresh!

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Summertime

Good, Fresh Produce from the Markets

Good records for cheap lately

Lots of good shows coming up

Finally returned to school for graduate work

I???m not giving the lows???. It???s Friday.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

2. this shit is ruling my life:

BE PREPARRRED! i like it lots, not as much as at action park though

also i think 'boycott' sounds like it could be a minutemen cover

I agree about the Minutemen. And I think I like this album more than At Action Park. If only for "Genuine Lullabelle." It has replaced Steven Jesse Bernstein's "Strip Poker" as my most favorite unsettling song.

I was talking with Ross Hogg about this (perhaps "talking at" would be better, cause I think he was daydreaming about kittens!), both songs can be confused for something against women, with Bernstein's "You got the magic fanny, baby" and Shellac's "She knows her way around a cock/ As good at sunrise as she was at nine-o-clock."

Have you seen this performed live? When they get to the "everybody party... party hard", and all the Mr. Dude-types in the audience rah-rah, I get a little uneasy. Using the language of the accuser (drunk sailors) to dignify the accused (whores) is tricky, because when you hear The drinking, the branding, the fighting on shore/ The way your cock rattles around in the belly of a whore, your first thought isn't typically one of respect for the woman.

To reference Emma Goldman twice in the same day (it's almost like RillyTruffle were still here!), there are parts of her autobiography--similar parts exist in the autobiographies of Nina Simone, Simone de Beauvoir, Elaine Brown and Ana??s Nin, to name a few--where she discusses her sexual exploits, even the rank or regretable parts, with a clarity not generally associated with women.

That is to say, culturally, women are not encouraged to embrace their recklessness in the same way men are. These episodes are left out of a woman's eulogy while they are usually the most celebrated part of a man's. The misunderstanding of the lyrics live, with dudes cheering the mention of fucking a drunk whore (I suppose because they think that is punk rock?), evidences this.

I didn't think this song would be so good on a record, cause it's missing that element that an audience provides. Like listening to Ramblin' Jack Elliott tell stories on record is not nearly as engaging as listening to him tell them live. The voice-overs in "Genuine Lullabelle" are a nice surrogate for an audience. Creepy, too.

I can see why people don't like this song. First, it's really long, and there's not a nice hook or chorus to hold on to (that's if you don't consider "Let's get the party started/ Bruised and drunk and fucked and hollow hearted" sing-a-long-able). Second, it's kinda off-putting, what with the dirty words and hearing the movie voice guy talk weird and all. And lastly, I think it's subject matter--whores, is not really great song material for a lot of folks.

I happen to be obsessed with two women right now. The first is Zoe Strauss. Zoe deals with this subject quite the same way. Straight, and with respect. The second woman I am currently obsessed with is Cori Crooks, who has just finished a memoir, A Gag Reflex, detailing her family life, specifically being the daughter of such a woman as discussed in this song and in the work of Zoe Strauss.

It's pretty clear, if you pay attention to this kind of stuff (by this kind of stuff I mean whoring), that dudes are usually high-fived for it while women get the wrinkle-nosed glare. Having spent a considerable amount of time in my life with these kind of people (whores, that is), I've come to see a palimpsest of wisdom in them. Those who survived, I should say. Most of them are dead, or in prison. But those who've made it out (and the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" shit doesn't usually ring well for those of us who've fucked for drugs or watched our mother get her teeth kicked in by our father--it's just ridiculous to expect there to even be a boot there, really), those who've survived these challenging and demanding lives, those people are usually blessed and bedeviled with a grace that is tremendously endearing.

The problem, then, is when women are not allowed to live in their experiences, when they are denied embracing their recklessness, we are likewise denied the full scope of their wisdom.

I like art that is complicated and engaging. I get a greater reward from the work that is as demanding as it is genuine. This song fits in that category.

I guess I'm also saying that I love whores? Not whores because they know their way around a cock, but whores who have lived in their consequence, and come out the other side. Like that Italian voice says at the end, "These are only episodes, a person can't be marked by a single moment. Respect me in the same way in which you should respect a person that has lived a complete and difficult life."

Emma Goldman.
    Nina Simone.
    Zoe Strauss.
    Cori Crooks.
    My mother.
    Elaine Brown.
    Simone de Beauvoir.

My first girlfriend, Nicole, who years later I accompanied to the Welfare Department, when she told me she fucked Jeff Nino for crack. The same Jeff Nino that raped my sister in our old apartment on Alameda Street. The room that my sister set on fire and we got evicted because of it. Nobody could understand why a girl would set her own room on fire, but I understood. I lay in the room next door that night, and I heard it hapenning. Ashamed I did nothing. I also did nothing to stop my sister from setting her room on fire. I just let it burn. Nicole, at the Welfare Department, she said it was okay. Things would be okay. And asked me to watch her son when she went inside. That was the last time I saw her.

"What one wants is the real thing."

Terribly ugly things deserve to be seen as well.

Or, as Emma Goldman said, "If timorous souls were deceived, it was not of my choosing; it was their narrow-mindedness that made it necessary."

(Uh, well... there's a top five in there somewhere?)

I took up with faggot Dadaists who didn't believe in faces,
    ~Bam!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Tops:[/b]

1 - Our new cat Wanderlei:

Dude is really awesome. Very energetic, but affetionate, too. And he pulls guard like the man he's named for.

2 - I'm taking off Mon-Tues-Wed next week. Much needed.

3 - Just finished a mix CD and Mesh is mailing me the mastered master. I'm overdue.

4 - Popped tags at a grown man's store the other day. Felt good to buy a Seersucker suit and lots of nice shirts, including a few with French cuffs. But it's cool, because...

5 - I'm getting my own office. While this may not sound like a big deal, there are only about half a dozen here. I'm stoked.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Felt good to buy a Seersucker suit and lots of nice shirts, including a few with French cuffs. But it's cool, because...

It now emerges that the seersucker purchase about which Young Phonics recently boasted took place when you dropped him off in the junior seersucker section next store.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Felt good to buy a Seersucker suit and lots of nice shirts, including a few with French cuffs. But it's cool, because...

It now emerges that the seersucker purchase about which Young Phonics recently boasted took place when you dropped him off in the junior seersucker section next store.

I believe that's known as the Petite Section.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

2. this shit is ruling my life:

BE PREPARRRED! i like it lots, not as much as at action park though

also i think 'boycott' sounds like it could be a minutemen cover

I agree about the Minutemen. And I think I like this album more than At Action Park. If only for "Genuine Lullabelle." It has replaced Steven Jesse Bernstein's "Strip Poker" as my most favorite unsettling song.

I was talking with Ross Hogg about this (perhaps "talking at" would be better, cause I think he was daydreaming about kittens!), both songs can be confused for something against women, with Bernstein's "You got the magic fanny, baby" and Shellac's "She knows her way around a cock/ As good at sunrise as she was at nine-o-clock."

Have you seen this performed live? When they get to the "everybody party... party hard", and all the Mr. Dude-types in the audience rah-rah, I get a little uneasy. Using the language of the accuser (drunk sailors) to dignify the accused (whores) is tricky, because when you hear The drinking, the branding, the fighting on shore/ The way your cock rattles around in the belly of a whore, your first thought isn't typically one of respect for the woman.

i need to give genuine lullabye a closer listen. i like this album a lot don't get me wrong, but there is no element of surprise really because i've heard paco, steady as she goes, end of radio many times live way before this album came out. not so sure about genuine lullabye. but overall i would say this album is more fun. bob weston totally sounds like d.boon. i can't believe i never realized that. they are vocal twins.

'be prepared' is my favorite track off the new one and reminds me of a pirate song. but my favorite shellac songs of all time are song of minerals and dog and pony show.

i came across this photo of todd trainer last month

the guy who took it said he look like a zombie, but i think he's more on the werewolf side. but live in person he is frankenstein

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    R.Kelly
    1). Seeing a lot of the real world homies having great things to say in their "fives thread"
    2). QUITTING MY JOB. Monday was my last day. It's now either marketing jobs (what I went to school for) or straight deejays gigs for money.
    3). The beatutifull weather lately and thus the ladies (Burlingame Ave...ooh wee)
    4). SOUL SLAM SATURDAY IN S.F. with DJ Spinna, myself and the homies
    5). The suit jacket I bought on Monday.

BONUS
    6). No job, more time to hit the gym. I'm trying to go from 3 to 5 times a week

DOUBLE BONUS:

Going to North Carolina to do more Scion work. This time interviewing Big Daddy Kane and Noz's favourites: LITTLE BROTHER.

TRIPLE BONUS:

Seeing a friend of mine that I've known since Kindergarden and who I haven't seen in about 9 years.

Eamon
    1). The uneasy feeling of just having to grind. It's a huge motivator but also sort of scarry.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    Post deleted by djanna

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    5 pro

1. my wife and i bought the desk/chair that love paid for.

basiclly, when we first got togehter we put a buck in a piggy bank for ever . Started putting some extra cash in there, and after a few years...

Well, the nice mid-century leady delivered our new chair and desk today. Pics to come...

2. I spent all day rearranging the living room for the lady.

3. Delay's summer drink of vodka/limoncatta is :killinit':

4. RWMs.

5. Work does not suck; producing my own show right now.

5 con

1. Work sucks; can't get enough time with the fucking editors to produce my own show right now.

2. And another thing about work.

3. Could use some more cash.

4. drinking toooooooooooooo much.

5. Jealous of all you folls getting married this season! ENjoy! spent the evening reminiscing, and hope y'all enjoy it; was truly the greatest moment and day of my life.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

6) got the drumset that kid gusto recommended

Dope. I've been getting into the drums pretty heavy right now myself. Youtube videos have been AMAZING to learn from.

This dude is a freak, but .

- spidey

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The Good

1) Got offer accepted on house so finally moving out of the flat
    2) This should mean we get some summertime in our own garden
    3) It also means i have an excuse to buy the super new TV to turn the PC into a home media centre
    4) I also brought a new soundcard that has given new life to mp3s. You never know what you're missing until you have your ears reopened.
    5) But most importantly, I still love my fiancee to pieces 6 1/2 years and counting

The Bad

1) Fucking solicitors are dragging out searches for weeks and weeks and delaying the contracts getting signed and us moving
    2) New home means a distinct impact on finances for the foreseeable future - lots of nights in are on the horizon.
    3) Lack of resources mean no wedding date to be set anytime soon.
    4) Work and general real life moves have left little time to catch up on music and blogging which help keep me sane.

The Ugly

1) Fucking plumbers coming round 4 times in 5 weeks to try and fix a leak in our bathroom that is dripping down to the flat below. Every Friday I get a call asking if I can have a plumber round first thing Saturday. Every time they claim to have fixed it. The next week I get the call again, sending me way beyond mad doggie into the realm of David Banner.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    1. Got Married
    2. Got Married
    3. Had a full week off of work to spend time with my wife.
    4. Wedding Money
    5. Got Married

The only thing that sucks is that I had to go back to work today. At least shit at work isn't as ficked up as I thought it would be.

• firme:
    1. 2wks left in NYC
    2. this is waiting for me when i get home
    3. cali homies get here tomorrow
    4. montana cans for the last ny production
    5. thurs night boat cruise around the harbor on a friends yacht

Non Firme:
    1. attn. (door man) at mcdonalds, if i wanted a door man to hold the shit open for me, i wouldnt be eating at this shit hole.
    2. dear super, it's ok to clean the halls of the building more than 1x per3months
    3. dear ebay guy, if you cant pay for the items you bid on, please dont bid, i dont give a fuck if your on holiday & have no paypal for 2more weeks.
    4. dear (thugs) if your gonna try n' pull a vic, its a good idea to not become the vic yourself
    5. rip to my road dawg, sorry dunny you done fucked up, see you on the flip

my lawd!! that is one beautiful buddddddddd!!

• 1. Having working ears so i can listen to music
    2. working on projects
    3. fishing for flounder off long island sound
    4. summercamp when i was young
    5. shorties who can roll tight ooh-wops

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket