Philly hip hop GREATEST HITS!!!!!!!

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
What's the best? Schooly D? Tuff Crew? Cash Money & Marvelous? I think my favorite track of all time would have to be Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince's "brand new funk"...I used to wear that tape out back in the day...Philly Hip Hop!!!!

Comments

• Steady B?

• Bahamadia.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    psk. no question about it
    gang of othershit deserves mention

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Aren't a couple of people working on Philly hip hop mixes ??? I'm sure that I read read that DJ Aroe from the UK was working on one.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Discombobulatorbubilator

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    psk. no question about it

Co-sign.

Not sure if they were from Philly or Camden, but Kick The Ball by Krown Rulers definitely deserves a mention. One of my all time favorite hiphop tracks.

After a while it became Clear that Hip Hop is something that New Yorkers do and IT DOESN'T PAY So In the long run many of biggest Hip Hopers went on to selling Narcotics instead being bother with music.

So that's your History of Philly Hip Hop?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Krown Rulers were from Camden, which is right over the Delaware River in NJ but could still pretty much identify with Philly. They were involved with Tuff Crew in a capacity and were labelmates with them on Soo Deff Records. I see dude mentioned Tone Love "Flippin' Kilos" which I want to say came out in 1991. He was a member of Tuff Crew, for those who don't know.

As it is I've been working on a Best Of Philly double CD for the better part of this year but it's still not done yet. I was teaming up with a pretty well known old-school Philly DJ to do it, but he got shook after the whole DJ Drama getting busted fiasco so it's up in the air right now how and when I'm gonna finish it. I'll keep you all posted, as if you wouldn't know when I dropped a new jawn.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    For what it's worth, some of my philly favorites:

The Glamorous Life- Cool C
    Brand New Funk- Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
    Ugly People be quiet - Cash Monay and Marvelous

• Cool C "Juice Crew Dis"

you and Shante I know where you got your start
    right here in Philly on Pop Art

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The older material people are naming is all great but, man, it seemed like Philly dudes were owning the raw latenight/mixtape joints about five years ago--I miss that era already.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    The older material people are naming is all great but, man, it seemed like Philly dudes were owning the raw latenight/mixtape joints about five years ago--I miss that era already.

good point- i cant forget about Peedi Crack,Freeway or Beans.

After a while it became Clear that Hip Hop is something that New Yorkers do and IT DOESN'T PAY So In the long run many of biggest Hip Hopers went on to selling Narcotics instead being bother with music.

That's how I explain Philly long absent from Hip Hop (1991-1999) until the whole Rocafella thing. Trust me alot of people here have though of Hip Hop the as a NY thing. Philly isn't the just a smaller NY as some see it. It's a much different city.

What do u mean alot of people here have thought of Hip Hop as a NY thing? A gang of dudes on here are young and/or from other cities outside of NY. Alot of cats "here" dont have a NY centric outlook to the game.
    Alot of dudes came up during the West Coast reign or even the current South reign. Or even outside of the U.S.
    And as far as "Philly is a smaller NY" thing.......That's an old chip on YOUR shoulder and not how people view Philly.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That's how I explain Philly long absent from Hip Hop (1991-1999) until the whole Rocafella thing. Trust me alot of people here have though of Hip Hop the as a NY thing. Philly isn't the just a smaller NY as some see it. It's a much different city.

It's rediculous to say that Philly is absent from hip-hop for 8 years. What are you even talking about? How old are you? What does that even mean? You're discounting years of serious work by many great artists, for starters the fellas that are represented by your avatar.

And as for the whole "Philly is a smaller New York" indeed you're correct that we have and have always had our own identity, but it's impossible to front on both the impact that the spectre of New York has had over us, as well as the inate need to please/refuse New York styles and trends.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Why do you keep asking how old I am? I'm 28, so I was a teen in the 90's. No I'm not some 40 year rap fan with nothing but dated ideas that I try to pass off as ground rules cuz I'm a "real head".

What do u mean alot of people here have thought of Hip Hop as a NY thing? A gang of dudes on here are young and/or from other cities outside of NY. Alot of cats "here" dont have a NY centric outlook to the game.
    Alot of dudes came up during the West Coast reign or even the current South reign. Or even outside of the U.S.
    And as far as "Philly is a smaller NY" thing.......That's an old chip on YOUR shoulder and not how people view Philly.

I think you missed what I was trying to say. I alot people in PHILLY have thought of Hip Hop as an NY thing.
    Rappin was seen as actually kinda corny if you were from Philly, cuz nobody wanted to hear you anyway.

Do u mean corny in the Philly community? Or do you mean corny to cats outside of Philly?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Cool C "Juice Crew Dis"

you and Shante I know where you got your start
    right here in Philly on Pop Art

I still play that tune out sometimes. That siren sound is a total headfuck.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

i can remember hearing that shit on power 99 in middle school. still love it.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

i can remember hearing that shit on power 99 in middle school. still love it.

I only heard that track for the first time a few weeks ago and thought it sounded dope even now.

Anything from that era with the name Lawrence Goodman on it seems to be dope, that guys a legend.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Discombobulatorbubilator

YES!

I think you missed what I was trying to say. I alot people in PHILLY have thought of Hip Hop as an NY thing.
    Rappin was seen as actually kinda corny if you were from Philly, cuz nobody wanted to hear you anyway.

Do u mean corny in the Philly community? Or do you mean corny to cats outside of Philly?

I meant in Philly, but really both. Street niggas wasn't into rapping until they saw niggas was really gettin paid. I think Beanie used to talk about this a lot when he first go on.

Maybe in Philly, but in NYC we all tried to rap/dj/graf/break/boogie/etc. It wasnt seen as an occupation or a way to get paid. It's was just somethin u did.
    Certain cats excelled and certain cats realized in wasnt their forte.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    in NYC we all tried to rap/dj/graf/break/boogie/etc. It wasnt seen as an occupation or a way to get paid. It's was just somethin u did.

thats why you see so many golden era emcees who can also deejay... shit, probably the majority of them. you also find a lot of them that were dancers or writers too. it's was just the thing to do BITD and damn near everybody (in the nyc area but specifically da BX) messed around with it on some level ... kids, girls, whuteva.

(will this now deteriorate into one of those "four elements" clon fests that SS loves so much? )

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    "four elements" clon fests