STEPPERS

2»

Comments

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    are they using it in an r&b context or a reggae one?

SOUL STEPPERS. I BELIEVE IT'S PRIMARILY A CHI-TOWN THING AND THEY SLOW GLIDE TO LOGGINS AND MESSIN TRACKS.

you need to start listening to the Michael Basden show.

ever hear "step in the name of love"? all it talks about is stepping. then he did happy people, which is also about stepping. Starvue has a monster stepper called "body fusion"

it isn't quite synonymous with modern soul, but definitely could be confused with the UK term "2 step" when they refer to old school tunes as "2 step", not some new rave oriented electronic music.

the reggae thing is probably coming from some black american interpretation of JA sounds. the US always is too stiff to sound jamaican, but enough swing to make it a "stepper".

it has nothing to do with DUB STEP.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

the reggae thing is probably coming from some black american interpretation of JA sounds. the US always is too stiff to sound jamaican, but enough swing to make it a "stepper".

Actually it's the opposite - Jamaicans are HUGE collectors of this kind of soul. I've sold really (to my ear) cheesy mid-late 80s soul ballad 12"s for good money to some of these type of cats.

An old-head Jamaican set will typically include a lot of lovers rock and these reeeally sweet mid to down-tempo soul tunes.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    are they using it in an r&b context or a reggae one?

SOUL STEPPERS. I BELIEVE IT'S PRIMARILY A CHI-TOWN THING AND THEY SLOW GLIDE TO LOGGINS AND MESSIN TRACKS.

you need to start listening to the Michael Basden show.

ever hear "step in the name of love"? all it talks about is stepping. then he did happy people, which is also about stepping. Starvue has a monster stepper called "body fusion"

it isn't quite synonymous with modern soul, but definitely could be confused with the UK term "2 step" when they refer to old school tunes as "2 step", not some new rave oriented electronic music.

it has nothing to do with DUB STEP.

nice summary of every post made in this thread thus far.

i've heard that george michael and aretha have a stepper's duet, & NKOTB too.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    most the of the steppers joints have a certain rhytmn to em

four on the floor?

Not that heavy, though; more of an easy bump, with enough syncopation to give it some push-and-pull. More so than jumping, it's strolling, you know?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you guys heard phil hinton's "don't stop"? random one-off from a dude who did a bunch of r&b songwriting for loose joints + others and signed on atlantic jaxx to record just one song and passed away shortly thereafter

anyway unlike most of the basement jaxx-ish stuff on that label i always thought it had a nice steppin groove

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Roy Davis Jr. has a decent steppers cut on an album he put out on Ubiquity a few years ago. Not that it gets played it the clubs, but whatever.

There's a cable access TV show here in Chicago that is basically like a Steppers version of MTV Grind, except the "cast" is older.

I can't explain the music but I know it if I hear it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Roy Davis Jr. has a decent steppers cut on an album he put out on Ubiquity a few years ago. Not that it gets played it the clubs, but whatever.

There's a cable access TV show here in Chicago that is basically like a Steppers version of MTV Grind, except the "cast" is older.

I don't know if it's the same show in reruns, but in the '90s there used to be a show on the local ABC affiliate called Steppin' At Club Seven, hosted by local dusties DJ Herb Kent. Same format, basically - older black folks in their mid-thirties and up stepping for the folks in TV land.

I don't know if it's the same show in reruns, but in the '90s there used to be a show on the local ABC affiliate called Steppin' At Club Seven, hosted by local dusties DJ Herb Kent. Same format, basically - older black folks in their mid-thirties and up stepping for the folks in TV land.

Mr. Tea may be referring to May I Step With You?, a current production notable for its often-unorthodox camera placement, e.g. putting the camera behind the bar, so that the actual dancing becomes background action for slightly slizzard huxtables tryna holler at whatever crosses their field of ever-doubling vision.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Actually it's the opposite - Jamaicans are HUGE collectors of this kind of soul.

Yes, this is how I even know about it...

most the of the steppers joints have a certain rhytmn to em

four on the floor?

Not that heavy, though; more of an easy bump, with enough syncopation to give it some push-and-pull. More so than jumping, it's strolling, you know?

I really was born too late. Good luck introducing such sweet subtleties to anyone under 50 interested in a night of dancing...in this neck of the woods anyhow.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Actually it's the opposite - Jamaicans are HUGE collectors of this kind of soul. I've sold really (to my ear) cheesy mid-late 80s soul ballad 12"s for good money to some of these type of cats.

An old-head Jamaican set will typically include a lot of lovers rock and these reeeally sweet mid to down-tempo soul tunes.

Very true. JA also has a loooong history of covering saccharine US soul songs. I ain't mad.

An aside: the steppers music being discussed here has nothing at all to do with the late 70s/early 80s reggae also known as "steppers" or sometimes "militant steppers." That stuff is usually in the 65 or 130 bpm range (is it double- or half-time? you decide) and is exemplified by joints like Culture "I'm Not Ashame" and Black Uhura "Rent Man."

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Some smooth favorites that may or may not qualify as "steppers":

Nature's Divine - I Just Can't Control Myself
    Curtis Mayfield - You're So Good To Me
    Ronn Matlock - You Got The Best of Me
    Magic Lady - Give It Up
    Keith Barrow - You Know You Want To Be Loved

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I've had this album countless times and never really got into it, consistent seller though. Maybe I should give it another listen.

I picked this album up yesterday and heard some tracks that I think could be classified as stepper tracks

anybody else like this?

I've had this album countless times and never really got into it, consistent seller though. Maybe I should give it another listen.

I picked this album up yesterday and heard some tracks that I think could be classified as stepper tracks

anybody else like this?

I think the Matlock LP has its moments..."You Got The Best of Me" and "I Can't Forget About You" are the standout songs on it IMO. They've both been compiled on numerous UK Modern Soul collections as well.

The 2nd track on the first side of the Dunbari and Dalton LP above is nice.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

anybody else like this?

The 2nd track on the first side is nice.

yes indeed "Caught In the Act", listened to the first track for about 30 seconds and skipped ahead to this one...then I went on to replay it. Mellow mellow gorwn man goodness.

Yes. Dudes don't even know. It is impossible to overstate the depth. I'm talking Danny Wilson album cuts. Second-album cuts.

4 real? I've had this LP for ages but haven't played it all through... "Ballad of Shirley McClain" is nice, though.

I wanna say "Desert Hearts" is the cut, but it's been a while, so that may be off.

After skimming through the Danny WIlson "Be Bop Mop Top" album last night (nice late 80's UK soul pop, BTW), I believe the song you're talking about is "Never Gonna Be The Same": it's got that mid-tempo 4 on the floor beat and a fairly soul-y chord progression in the verses. I could imagine steppers getting into this track.

Upon review, I'm afraid that "Desert Hearts" is in fact the stepper. I can see how you might think "Never Gonna Be The Same," but 1) that tune takes too long to get going, and 2) its stop-and-start structure precludes the kind of forward motion that stepping favors. "Desert Hearts" is not without its change-ups, but it sets that open groove right from the beginning, and has a smoother, more lyrical chorus. "Never Gonna..." is just a little too chunky, if you get me.

Addendum: Allegedly, there is a Curiosity Killed The Cat stepper. I can neither confirm nor deny.

THREE RED-LABEL COLUMBIA TWELVES THAT STEP:
    1. "GEORGY PORGY"
    2. "MISSING LOVE"
    3. "STARS IN THEIR EYES"

FOUR, IF YOU COUNT ONE THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE EXISTED PRIOR TO THE CURRENT BOOT:
    4. "LOWDOWN"

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

Phil Collins "I'm Not Going Anywhere"

MONSTROUS STEPPERS JAM

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    TWELVES THAT STEP

Can people refer to a record as "stepping", rather than as "a stepper"? That's pretty cool.

"Is this the correct usage of this word?"

I remember one time when Sheer Magic slowed its collective roll to have an impromptu steppers contest. The girl that won works at my local hardware store, and I've never looked at her the same way since.

Upon review, I'm afraid that "Desert Hearts" is in fact the stepper. I can see how you might think "Never Gonna Be The Same," but 1) that tune takes too long to get going, and 2) its stop-and-start structure precludes the kind of forward motion that stepping favors. "Desert Hearts" is not without its change-ups, but it sets that open groove right from the beginning, and has a smoother, more lyrical chorus. "Never Gonna..." is just a little too chunky, if you get me.

Addendum: Allegedly, there is a Curiosity Killed The Cat stepper. I can neither confirm nor deny.

Thanks for the

Wow...I thought Desert Hearts was just a bit too "rocky"-sounding for the steppers' scene. I will need to check this out again...and dig out that Curiosity Killed The Cat LP I have in storage as well.

TWELVES THAT STEP

Can people refer to a record as "stepping", rather than as "a stepper"?

"He's/She's/It's a stepper" is defintely the more common useage, but yeah, you certainly hear "he/she/it steps." They're pretty close in definition, but I think there's an abstract distinction in there somewhere, with "stepper" considered more of an absolute; something akin to the difference between "someone who dances" and a dancer, or between a "funky" record and a funk record.

that Curiosity Killed The Cat LP I have in storage on my wall, double-bagged and under glass

Don't front.

If you do find the rumored cut, though, please make it known. I heard the Danny Wilson thing in the context of some completely unmarked steppers mix playing over the speakers at the record store, and was only able to put it together well after the fact, when I recognized the same vowel sounds in "Mary's Prayer." All hail Scotland.

And I hear what you're saying about the "rocky"-ness, but as long as a certain kind of groove is maintained, steppers are remarkably open-minded. Like, "Fazon," the Sopwith Camel tune that pickwick33 mentioned earlier, contains a fair amount of psuedo-skronk sax, but it stays in the pocket, stays long, and never gets too hot, so it passes.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Great, the steppers girls where the ones that used to fuss over me for being adorable when I was 11 (back in the UK, looooong time ago ). They looooooved 52nd Street (UK band, not the Billy Joel LP).