cheap ass euro/uk dudes complaint #98475

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
just had a dude from the UK about my "HIGH" shipping rates for an LP..I told him $15. I broke it down to him as such $12.50 for the actual postage, $1.59 for a proper mailer, and the person who packs and ships(since we are a store) gets and hourly wage so the remaining 91 cents (about 45p) goes to this...45p is too high...and I'M the one trying to rip someone off. Grrrrrrr. Give me a fuckng break. Just one of you overseas chumps try and post another US postage is too high thread...I dare ya.

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Us overseas dudes are slowly getting used to paying more then 12$ for shipping from the US.
    Cut us some slack.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

yes! Ive had some dudes complain that the actual postage cost (not including mailer etc.) was too high and they would only pay such and such a price...trying to baragin and shit...starting to drive me up a fucking wall..

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I think I never paid 15$ for a single LP from the US.

edit; f*ck I did! Even paid 16$.

• Before this new change it was nice, 1 lp with 2 cardboard inserts & proper mailer = $11 max to anywhere in the uk/ireland by airmail letter post.

Now with this first class international the rates are all screwed up, it's dirt cheap to send anything into canada, but it cost's on average these days anywhere from $11 to $13 in actual cost's for mailing one lp into those same regions.

I actually use to charge LESS than what the ACTUAL cost is before this new postage change!! why did i do this? because i wanted people to get something extraordinary from my e-sales. I still do random upgrades someone just won a $150 title from me and i sent it to austria, charged him $14 for the first class int mail but it was only $3 more express and i registered the package AT NO COST TO HIM. These are the things i do for my euro guys. Believe it or not people still bitch, complain and are generaly unhappy they can't have surface mail as an option from me. I can get away with this cause sometimes i'm gettin rid of 90s hiphop pieces %100 above what they cost me way back. So it's all good for me this way.

btw when I buy online from guys in japan or anywhere outside of the UK i almost always got hit with $16-$20 for 1 item. I always pay without a mention of any opinion i might have. ( domestic that's a whole other story, let someone try and charge me $8.95 for 1 lp media mail )

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Damn Buying from brazil is high.....16.00 usds shipping, registered & I won the lp at 15.50. Man times are way expensive. If's it's not the gas prices it's the postage pricing killing the wallet!!!

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    Sorry to hear about your stressfull interaction with this Euro dude. People complain I guess. Anything above $15 from the US I would personally not pay, out of principle. At $15 I already suspect I have to chip in for the hunchback who makes the packages etc but hey...

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    Now with this first class international the rates are all screwed up, it's dirt cheap to send anything into canada, but it cost's on average these days anywhere from $11 to $13 in actual cost's for mailing one lp into those same regions.

On the other hand US dollar is so low for euro dudes comparitively to what it was a year ago! Perhaps some euro customers were not aware of the USPS moves...

My guess is just that some people are acting totally paranoid on the bay, always suspecting sellers to make profits on shipping charges...

I'm french and I had this german guy that looked like he wouldn't pay until I reduce my charges. Every detail was written in my descriptions and I'm not working to loose money! It took 5 long emails to finally get my money and send the record as sheduled. What a lost of time... I feel your pain Hook Up.

But I also feel the pain of the euro buyer I am who pays $ 30 to receive 5 LPs and finally gets my records poorly packed (no cardbroad!) but lucky to arrive safely with a stamp showing the guy only paid $ 22 to send them... This is a f*cking bad practice I meet twice a year...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    just had a dude from the UK about my "HIGH" shipping rates for an LP..I told him $15. I broke it down to him as such $12.50 for the actual postage, $1.59 for a proper mailer, and the person who packs and ships(since we are a store) gets and hourly wage so the remaining 91 cents (about 45p) goes to this...45p is too high...and I'M the one trying to rip someone off. Grrrrrrr. Give me a fuckng break. Just one of you overseas chumps try and post another US postage is too high thread...I dare ya.

It's a double edged sword, this postage thing.

I'd guess that most of us have been on both sides of the fence, I know I have. I want to charge a fair rate for postage as a seller, and you also want to ensure you won't be out of pocket. As a buyer, you want to know you ain't being hit up a second time for fees at the postage level, because you're already paying for the record. This is why I tend not to buy one off records anymore - I always try and get at LEAST 2-3 titles that I am after in any one transaction.

I tell you though - as a seller, if I underestimate the postage cost and it turns out to be a little more, I certainly don't come and hit the buyer up a second time saying , 'sorry, you owe me $40 more' - but a guy on gemm did this to me last week. I told him I thought that was wack, but I paid it anyway.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    jI told him $15.

Thats seems kind of average to me. Im always happy when it comes in a little lower but $15 seems to be the norm.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Sorry to hear about your stressfull interaction with this Euro dude. People complain I guess. Anything above $15 from the US I would personally not pay, out of principle. At $15 I already suspect I have to chip in for the hunchback who makes the packages etc but hey...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    I got a pair of akademiks kicks sent to the uk this week. Cost me $9.99 for the kicks & $9.99 for the postage....i think they came straight from china though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What people seem to fail to realize is that postage isn't constant - a 12" single might fall into a different weight class than an LP, a light British LP like a Trojan release might fall into a different class than a heavy blue note. Sometimes it's over, sometimes it's under. With rare exception the dealer isn't out to screw you, and is coming up with a rate that accounts for the over AND the under.

Same thing in the U.S., 1 LP Priority to California is (now) $7.50, whereas to Philadelphia it's $4.90. I try to invoice people differently based on where their from but it doesn't stop the rate from being lopsided.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    Us overseas dudes are slowly getting used to paying more then 12$ for shipping from the US.
    Cut us some slack.

so what is that...5 pounds or 6 euros ?
    gotta love the strength of the us dollar.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Cut us some slack.

so what is that...5 pounds or 6 euros ?
    gotta love the strength of the us dollar.

Yeah thats about right, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we break the ??1 = $2 barrier...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What people seem to fail to realize is that postage isn't constant[/b] - a 12" single might fall into a different weight class than an LP, a light British LP like a Trojan release might fall into a different class than a heavy blue note. Sometimes it's over, sometimes it's under. With rare exception the dealer isn't out to screw you, and is coming up with a rate that accounts for the over AND the under.

AZZACLY