talk about your rare sports garbage

2»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    baseball cards
    As the result of an unsuccessful middle-school attempt by me and my friends to spike the market on an arbitrary card, somewhere in deep storage I have a shoebox with hundreds upon hundreds of Bob Kipper jernts. They're various makes, but dude's expression in all of them is uniformly dusted. One of these days I'm gonna fill a wading pool with them and Scrooge McDuck like a motherfuck.

Last year my local record spot was selling deadstock waxpack Cyndi Lauper cards from nineteen-eighty-whatever. The cards were cool, but the gum had sorta fused with its metal wrapping, so it felt like I was chewing on a remote control. Blech.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1975 topps mini set, about 25% of the set is autographed. gift from Jay Johnstone

That set is tough enough on its own, but the autographs and the Jay Johnstone connection take it to other-wordly heights.

I vaguely remember doing a review of Jay Johnstone's book for a high school English class.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I have an autographed basball by the entire '54 Cardinals...Stan Musial, Joe Garagiola...I need to get it appraised, I have no idea how much it is worth....

Similarly, I have a ball autographed by one of the early 1950's Clevland Indians team, it's got Bob Gibson, Al Rosen, Bob Lemon and others on there. I keep saying I'm going to take it to Sotheby's and auction it, one day I will.

Chris Webber jersey

which team?

Golden State Warriors

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Chris Webber jersey

which team?

Golden State Warriors
    *is jealous*

Chris Webber jersey

which team?

Golden State Warriors
    *is jealous*

As far as a price check, it's just a shabby replica jersey that I bought around '93 long before the throwback craze took effect. I have no idea if it's even remotely valuable...I doubt it.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    One of these days I'm gonna fill a wading pool with them and Scrooge McDuck like a motherfuck.

haha

Last year my local record spot was selling deadstock waxpack Cyndi Lauper cards from nineteen-eighty-whatever. The cards were cool, but the gum had sorta fused with its metal wrapping, so it felt like I was chewing on a remote control. Blech.

the gum in those topps waxpacks were disgusting, i cant' imagine how the one you had from 1980 tasted.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Most of my ish is hockey stuff & not of interest to most dudes here. I've got mint, complete O-Pee-Chee hockey card sets from 1977-1992. I got a box of packs from 79, unopened. I got a bunch of autographs from over the years. Got signed team pennants from the 83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92 Edmonton Oilers, also a bunch of signed Oilers cards. Mark Messier was the hommie back then & always treated me cool. Met him maybe 20 times over the years. I have autographed programs from the 91 Canada Cup, signed by Team USA & another by team Sweeden. The team USA one is cool. Jeremy Roenick & Mike Modano gave me 300 bucks to buy the team burgers at the McDonalds in front of the old Montreal Forum. I also got some football ish cause of my family. Got stuff signed by former Nebraska QB Tommy Fraiser, former Patriot Robert Edwards, Warren Moon, and a load of CFL stuff like signed footballs. Somehow, I have a construction hardhat signed by my local CFL team. I hope the Al's win the Grey Cup this year. I'll get loads of free schitt from that.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have a modest Seahawks memorabilia collection in addition to the usual sports card collection. That's about it.

I got to on the field for Seahawks training camp in 87 I think. Got pretty much everybody's autograph and caught a football off the Juggs machine! lol. There are tons of baseball cards and autographs at my mom's house somewhere as well. Mariners games used to be dope when they were terrible and nobody cared. Me and my little hommies used to hit the Crown Plaza to pester the visiting teams and Gate B at the Kingdome for the Mariners. Bleacher seats were 3.50!

Man - I wish I'd had that opportunity. Growing up a Seahawks fan in Chicago when you're six or seven (much less in '87, when I would've been eight or nine) was tough. That, plus the 'Hawks only used to come to Chicago to play once every eight years.

How much for the Seahawks stuff? PM me if you're looking to sell. Extra bonus points for Seattle Totems ephemera.