Hugo Chavez tells rich folk to give away luxuries

13»

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Furthermore, his leadership whether you like it or not has benefited the majority of the people of venezuela, else they wouldn't have continued to vote him into office indirectly[/b] like 8 times.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

That dude who said "OMG THEY ARE DESTROYING THE MIDDLE CLASS WEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH" is a fucking joke. People who blindly pander to middle class values really disgust me. And yes, that probably means you.

I said he was destroying the middle class and I could really care less about "middle class values".

I work for a company that is based in Caracas & work w/ over 100 Venezuelans here in South Florida everyday. Many of them have had to leave Caracas due to what is happening. I'm not really in the mood to discuss this w/ a bunch of suburban white kids, but please get some 1st hand accounts of what is going on before speaking on it.

Furthermore, his leadership whether you like it or not has benefited the majority of the people of venezuela, else they wouldn't have continued to vote him into office indirectly[/b] like 8 times.

Wow...saba is actually right.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I think he has had 2 direct elections, one referendum for extension, the famous "yes/no" referendum in August 2004, and a few others involving his party.

Are you trying to flame bait or have genuine discussion about this? I mean, follow up the snarky remarks with something. I'm not mad, it's just redundant seeing posts that quote blocks of text and say "suspect".

I'm not really in the mood to discuss this w/ a bunch of suburban white kids, but please get some 1st hand accounts of what is going on before speaking on it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    he's not a suburban white kid, he's a Canadian grad student - don't get it twisted.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

That dude who said "OMG THEY ARE DESTROYING THE MIDDLE CLASS WEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH" is a fucking joke. People who blindly pander to middle class values really disgust me. And yes, that probably means you.

I said he was destroying the middle class and I could really care less about "middle class values".

I work for a company that is based in Caracas & work w/ over 100 Venezuelans here in South Florida everyday. Many of them have had to leave Caracas due to what is happening. I'm not really in the mood to discuss this w/ a bunch of suburban white kids, but please get some 1st hand accounts of what is going on before speaking on it.
    Because you work with a bunch of florida exiles I'm supposed to take you seriously? Next thing you're going to tell me all your cuban friends in miami have given you the authentic cuban experience.

Furthermore, where is your "first hand" report?

There are plenty of venezuelan exiles living in Alberta (lots of oil jobs for ex-oil workers here), so I have heard their perspective as well. I have worked with the handsoffvenezuela campaign in three different parts of this country (BC, Alberta, and Toronto), meeting venezuelans of all types who support and don't. I believe my perspective is well-founded on both the 2nd-hand venezuelan experience and a socio political model. As well, my analysis is consistent and not derived from vague moral values.

moral values.

Trust me, nobody is suggesting you are influenced by any of those.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Because you work with a bunch of florida exiles I'm supposed to take you seriously? Next thing you're going to tell me all your cuban friends in miami have given you the authentic cuban experience.

Uh... Ralph is Cuban.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Uh... Ralph is Cuban.

before this gets ugly...
    everyone has their perspectives and their valid gripes and issues.
    i think what cannonical is trying to say is that exiles from cuba or caracas are most likely going to be from one side of the fence. i went to a screening of the chavez coup movie (revolution will be televised, i think it was called) and some venezuelan penn students were trying to trump peoples arguments on some "motherfucker, i AM venezuelan" personally, those who have benefitted from chavez' or castro's regimes are not going to be sending their kids to UPenn.

there are some horror stories and abuses suffered by people on both sides of the coin...the Batista regime in Cuba was horrible. Castro has brought his share of damage as well. Same story in Venezuela...although I'd wearily note that Chavez is just getting started.

Next thing you're going to tell me all your cuban friends in miami have given you the authentic cuban experience.

Uh... Ralph is Cuban.

at least that's what my mommy told me.

As for a an "authentic experiece" My uncles have some pretty authentic stories of crossing the the Atlantic in an inner tube. Sharks, dehydration, bad tans, etc...sounds like a hollywood blockbuster. My mom also has a few good ones about packing a butcher knife after she was mugged by a "Marielito" in the days following the Mariel boatlift.

I'm not really into arguing over the internet so I'll end it here. All I'm saying is that my "exiled co-workers" and the 25 or so producers that fly over on a monthly basis tell a very different story. I'll be over there later this year for a few weeks so I'll let you know if my Venezuelan friends treat me to an authentic Venezuelan experience. Maybe when I visit Canada you can treat to the gentle Canadian experience.