anyone have difficulty with USPS on shipping lps?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
specifically shipping 1 or 2 lps overseas in those 13 x 13 uline/brasspack lp boxes?i went to two post offices today and had two ladies tell me they were 'oversized' --its been a month since the new usps regulations have taken affect -- and i never had a problem before. it shouldn't cost over 20 bucks to send 1 lp out worldwide. if that is the case, then things may go downhill for sellers, buyers doing ebay or mailorder.oh yeah--i went to a third post office and they finally took it with no hassles.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've not had a single problem.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    it shouldn't cost over 20 bucks to send 1 lp out worldwide. if that is the case, then things may go downhill for sellers, buyers doing ebay or mailorder.

try $24+

welcome to the new, post May 14th world

I'm having a tough time trying to tell the bidders tha won my last set of auctions why I am charging more for shipping

Dudes it costs $13 to send 1 LP to Europe, same to Japan

European rate went up about $1.50, Japan rate stayed about the same

I don't know what you guys are using but it doesn't cost $25 to send 1 record anywhere by USPS (if you're using 1st Class International)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dudes it costs $13 to send 1 LP to Europe, same to Japan

European rate went up about $1.50, Japan rate stayed about the same

I don't know what you guys are using but it doesn't cost $25 to send 1 record anywhere by USPS (if you're using 1st Class International)
    wha?!?!

seriously all of a sudden its costing me arond $25 to send it out the same service I was sending out with before.

I've had to come out of pocket a couple c-notes just to keep buyers happy

They also have me filling out different customs forms now too

1st Class International.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i think it is the employees confusing themselves or not knowing the insides and outs of everything new yet, so they are being 'extra cautious'--that or they are sticklers--who give everyone a hard time, which i know is the case for at least one of the ladies i dealt with today.

at any rate, i will go to the next town over and go the extra couple of miles to save on $.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    1st Class International.

This is the key, folks. Be sure to ask for this service, otherwise the new rate jumps to double that or more. I suspect people are getting confused because they're used to shipping Priority and simply figured that the price of Priority mail would just go up a buck or two. No. Priority is entirely restructured to the point where it's no longer the logical choice for records. To make matters worse, in my experience, 1st Class International is the one option that does not appear on the little screen on the counter at the post office, so you may be sitting there looking at your mailing options thinking that the cheapest rate you can get starts at like $20. Be sure to request 1st Class International, period.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    yeah, make sure you ask for 1st class international. It's the same as the old airmail, just a new name.

Paycheck was right, the increase is not that much. Just make sure you ask for 1st class. You probably paid for global priority.

• The kicker is that global priority appears to be the exact same service as 1st class, only twice as expensive. The post office website purports tracking services for priority but at this point that is false advertising. The delivery time frame is the same for both services, at least on the handful of destinations I checked. I am not aware of any enchanced services for priority vs. 1st Class.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Classic USPS confusion, I still just ask for Air Mail and I get basicly the same rates. "Isn't called something else now like 1st Class or something" I says, "Nope still Air Mail" the clerk tells me.
    It takes them forever to get on the same page.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    i think it is the employees confusing themselves or not knowing the insides and outs of everything new yet, so they are being 'extra cautious'--that or they are sticklers--who give everyone a hard time, which i know is the case for at least one of the ladies i dealt with today.

at any rate, i will go to the next town over and go the extra couple of miles to save on $.

Exactly - half of them really don't know the extent of the service you want and then try and overcharge you for a service you don't need.

It took me a while to get a post office that seem to be on my frequency. First Class International all the way, unless you want a tracking service for an expensive record.

Get familiar with your post office clerk....I go to the same desk every time if possible, a fellow with dreadlocks. Makes the whole post office experience far more accomodating.

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    Has anyone else used that "M-Bag" yet? They put your package in a huge ass glad bag sized sack and apparently it gets to Europe in the same time (5-10 business days) as 1st Class International. I have a vague sense that its cheaper when sending a package over 4 pounds (when the price jumps about $10). I guess this was an option pre-May 14th, but I never heard about it until now. I was kinda rattled when they broke out that weird bag, but hopefully it works...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This ebay seller is trying to charge me $9.50 for priority mail for a single LP from the East Coast.

Does that make any fucking sense to anyone?

Note - anyone who doesn't use paypal gets a $1 discount. Read between them lines.

• Oliver, that's how much it costs now. $7.50 for postage, $1.50 for a mailer and pads, so at most he's inflating the cost by 50 cents.

This ebay seller is trying to charge me $9.50 for priority mail for a single LP from the East Coast.

Does that make any fucking sense to anyone?

Note - anyone who doesn't use paypal gets a $1 discount. Read between them lines.

Yeah like Jesse said he's not out to get you. It's $7.50 + supplies to CA. I charge $8 currently but I may need to raise that price. I've been losing money on shipping lately.

The paypal discount makes sense - that's a dollar that he won't see either way.

• I charge $6.50 east coast to west coast flat rate priority mail with delivery confirmation... in pro mailers w/ inserts... i don't care if it's a $10 lp or $100 i'm just that kinda guy. I'll never understand why people cry about mail order costs... obviously you we're desperate enough you had to buy online, so suck it up and pay whatevers asked so long as it's stated ahead of time. Ohterwise i've gotta say people pony up quit bein cheapass's already. As a matter of fact, shooterali just bought somethin from me and paid $4 media mail which is my standard... however i was like a day or two late mailing so i just upgraded to priority for nothing more than a few days of waiting. In mail order practice's this is not normal and i feel going above and beyond for buyers will only encourage them to come back.

That's sweet and all but I am not trying to eat $2 per mailing. I wish Priority would establish one rate coast to coast...