FUNK BLAXPLOITATION TRACK ID HELP

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Hi, I ripped a funk tune off of a Big Daddy Magazine CD, my problem is I didnt write down the name and I cant find the CD.So as far as I remember it was off of a soundtrack, could be I remeber it wrong.The tune was sampled a few times, so some of you know the drumbreak.But I even cant remember tunes which sampled that tune, than I would have checked The Breaks Dot Com.So I need you, I know that you can tell me the track title.http://www.zshare.net/audio/2226122b428316/PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    the jimi entley sound - charlies theme

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Thanks man !!!!!!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    need the frog 45 bad.
    anyone have it recorded?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    But I even cant remember tunes which sampled that tune, than I would have checked The Breaks Dot Com.

I know Dilla used it somewhere on Donuts. Who else has sampled it?

Wait, can you explain me a little bit about it.

When I saw the name I remebered it on the CD cover of the Big Daddy mag. But when I heard the tune I thought it was a classic 70s song.

But when I googled the name I found this

The producer behind Portishead, Geoff Barrow got his start as a tape operator at Bristol's Coach House studio during sessions for Neneh Cherry's second album, Homebrew.

By the way Homebrew is a dope LP and the 2 Gangstarr tunes on it are off the hook !!!

As "The Jimi Entley Sound", he was behind a 300-copy limited issue cover of "Apache" (backed with "Charlie's Theme") on the Espionage label.

So this means this is not from a 70s band ???

If not, what are the original sample sources ???

Where are the drums from ???

Are only the drums sampled and the rest is played live ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    So this means this is not from a 70s band ???

If not, what are the original sample sources ???

Where are the drums from ???

Are only the drums sampled and the rest is played live ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

I thnk this was done by pretty much all the members of Portishead sans Beth Gibbons, someone correct me if I'm wrong

This would mean NO SAMPLE at all ????

Please someone confirm it !!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yes, all live.
    Sampled by Edan & Dilla.
    IMG SRC=http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~hisashi/jimi-entley-sound1.jpg>

OK, I'm impressed by this.

Peace

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Speaking of which when is that new portishead coming out dammit.

- spidey

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Yeah, track is a monster. Ghostface also raps over the Dilla version on mixtapes and shit.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i've read from somewhere that there was originally a Jimi Entley Sound back in the late 1960s in UK, who were a bunch of studio musicians recorded for Abbey Road Studio or something...

then fast forward to the 21st century some guy picked up a test pressing from Abbey Road in a record yard sale and found that tune on there which then ended up being this

so Geoff and em weren't ther musicians on there..

i dunno if this is 100% true.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I actually think I have the same Big Daddy CD around here somewhere.
    This shit is nasty.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    i've read from somewhere that there was originally a Jimi Entley Sound back in the late 1960s in UK, who were a bunch of studio musicians recorded for Abbey Road Studio or something...

then fast forward to the 21st century some guy picked up a test pressing from Abbey Road in a record yard sale and found that tune on there which then ended up being this

so Geoff and em weren't ther musicians on there..

i dunno if this is 100% true.

Spoof press release. It's Mr Barrow and crew, ripping the Frog tune originally on UK label Jam.

Please check this Big Shug Song, Premier did it and check the drums.

MP3 of "Play It"

Does that mean that Premo sampled the drums off of this Geoff Barrow tune ???

Or is there another samplesource for those drums ????

Peace
    Hawkeye