ebay "shill bidder" lawsuit settles for $400,000

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Thought some people here might find this interesting:http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/business/09auction.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Comments

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    nice!!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I've always wondered how common this practice really is. I was on the bus the other day and a guy was talking about selling sneakers on eBay and how he always creates a second account to place fake bids right at sniping time to drive up the price. It's really easy to do, and it doesn't seem like eBay has any effective way to prevent it.

Supply and demand economics doesn't work too well when one person is cheating...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    this is a thought provoking line:

Ebay has installed a number of policies and surveillance tactics[/b] aimed at curbing shill bidding.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    evildoers always lose. peace, stein. . .

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this is a thought provoking line:

Ebay has installed a number of policies and surveillance tactics[/b] aimed at curbing shill bidding.

well...yeah. some program to check to make sure the seller and the bidder have different IPs would be pretty simple and weed out a lot of the stupider shill bidders. The people that have their friends bid on their auctions are harder to nail down, but keep in mind ebay can cancel or ban someone for just about any reason they want...it's not like they have to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt like the cops.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    evildoers always lose. peace, stein. . .

Where is Batmon with a snappy image??

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Death to shills.

• this is a thought provoking line:

well...yeah. some program to check to make sure the seller and the bidder have different IPs would be pretty simple and weed out a lot of the stupider shill bidders.

Didn't somebone post about this? Somebody was at the record store they worked/owned and a customer used their computer to bid on an item the store listed. Both accounts banned within hours.

SONIC

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That was me - so yes, they track IP addys.

Both people in question - me and the customer - eventually had our accounts reinstated, but it was an enormous pain in the ass. Ebay makes you copy and paste their "I will not shill bid" email, it's like writing on the chalkboard 100 times after class.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Ebay makes you copy and paste their "I will not shill bid" email, it's like writing on the chalkboard 100 times after class.

For real? punishment.