The Commodores

paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Really diggin these days High on Sunshine any more tips?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Dollar bin essential.

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

helloooooooooooo, is it me your looking for?

lionel = the commodores imo if he never was in the group i'd never have paid attention.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Dollar bin essential.

I will take this shit over pretty much any rare funk record out there.

• oripsorips 238 Posts

The Commodores' Uprising album, which came out in 1983, is a collection of their late '60s cuts, including covers of Sing A Simple Song, Who's Making Love and Keep On Dancing. The album is mostly funky instrumentals.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Dollar bin essential.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like the Commanders alot.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The Commodores' Uprising album, which came out in 1983, is a collection of their late '60s cuts, including covers of Sing A Simple Song, Who's Making Love and Keep On Dancing. The album is mostly funky instrumentals.

And produced by Swamp Dogg!!!

Two of these songs were released on an Atlantic 45 in 1969 ("Keep On Dancing"/"Rise Up").

I have this album on a CD, under another name and likely another label, but it's basically the same material. Excellent album, and if they never made another record, you'd be hearing these sides on an Aaron Fuchs compilation and we'd all think they were the tuffest rare funk album south of the Propositions.

As far as the Motown records they were known for, they were actually a decent funk band before disco and Lionel Richie's sappy ballads kicked in. I've got an early 7" they did on the Mowest label (Motown subsidiary), 1972's "Don't You Be Worried." Like a lot of funk from that time, there's just as much rock influence as there is soul. I think Motown was generous enough to include this side on their Anthology album, but I don't remember offhand.

Don't like them as much after the mid-seventies, although "Easy" and the post-Lionel "Night Shift" are guilty pleasures...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Dollar bin essential.

Rare or common don't matter - if it's good, it's good.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Can someone up 'Assembly Line'? They don't have this LP on iTunes and I can't find my vinyl...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "night shift"

to me this is "modern soul" at it's finest

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Dollar bin essential.

Call me crazy but this record really does not excite me that much. Staple, yes, but not something I find myself playing often, if at all.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Night Shift" is a guilty pleasure ...

No guilt needed with that track, just a beautiful song.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Dollar bin essential.

I heart this album. The follow up was pretty damn funky as well:

• LempoLempo 22 Posts
    Say Yeah! from

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Game recognize game:

For real, though, the Commodores are essential. Every album and track mentioned thus far is nice.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Easy is a certified panty dropper