WEAKEND FINDZ

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Went for a dig today down at the park, one seller from Glasgow had shitloads of records... whats up to the vultures that were there -- LDJB, Cancer Scabies, Fuzz, Babes and Bob Disaster in the house!Got a small selection of stuff, there was a lot more, but honestly couldn't be fucked, it seemed like 6-8 pounds across the board for most stuff to, but came home with some stuff I wanted, and a couple that were shit;2 copies - Man - Golden Hour Of LP (erotica)Hair - Japanese Soundtrack LPThe Horace Silver Quintet - You Gotta Take A Little LoveLee Dorsey - Working In The Coal Mine LP (sealed US press + UK press)Roy Wood - Mustard LPMan - 1970Shawn Phillips - Spaced LPPolydor Profit With Marketing LP (promo with CTI tracks)Ruggedness Maddrama - Forreal 12" (indyphillyrapraer)Here's everything else I've picked up since I've been out here;Patsy Gallant - Morning 12"2 copies - Trammps - Rubber Band 12"Cerrone - Rocket In The Pocket 12" 2 copies - Cozy Powell - Then There Was Skin 7"Jimmy Smith - Blacksmith LP (spare)Streetsounds - West Coast Hip-Hop LPKokomo - Rise & Shine LPThe Purple Fox - Tribute To Jimi HendrixNemesis - Munchies For Your BassSoul Unlimited - Sweet Soul Hits (really shit but good covers of soul tunes)Ice - Import ExportThe Fatback Band - Yum YumSight & Sound - Movie Themes Of TodayPositive Force - 7"De La Soul - Buddy 7"Bo$$ - Born Gangsta LP Gladys Knight & The Pips - With Funky JunctionPryde - Pipe Dreams LPClose Encounters Of The 3rd Kind LP10cc - Self-TitledFatback - Backstrokin' 7"Sparks - Kimono My House LP Skin Ed - Goes Skin Deep 10cc - Sheet Music LPJazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime 7"Ice-T - You Played Yourself 7"

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    cant remember everything and i dont have internet at home again, so lets see how well i can do this. in the past two days:

sweetalk - live! (for free)
    james brown - it's a new day so let a man come in
    clear light - s/t
    archie bell and the drells - cant stop dancing
    fatback - keep on steppin'
    sandra alexandra - cant remember the name but its on UNI
    independents - cant rememeber this either but its on Wand
    some record on mainstream that wasnt great
    that johnny hammond record on kudu with the red sphere on the cover or whatever
    and that melting pot lp

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

i miss soulstrut

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Gladstar == winner
    Ginette Ravel == winner (quebecoise gainsbourge rip-off)
    Jeff Eubank == private spacey AOR winner (and for trade)
    Mad Music Inc == private new age winner
    Juliet Saget == french popsike winner
    Chuck Norris == winner

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Chuck Norris

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Best yard sale I've stumbled into (literally) in a while produced super clean copies of:

Maceo and the Macks - Cross the Track (People)
    Mighty Tom Cats - Dance Girl/Finger in It (Paul Winley)
    Rimshots - Dance Girl/Who Got the Monster (Astroscope)
    Wee Willie and the Winners - Get Some (Shotgun)
    Disco Stan - Funky Cocktail (Prodigal)
    Brinkley and Parker - Pander Man (Darnel)
    Vicki Anderson - Answer to Mother Popcorn (King)
    Marva Whitney - He's the One/This Girls in Love With You (King)
    Marva Whitney - You Got to Have a Job/I'm Tired (King)
    Fred Wesley and the JB's - Rockin' Funky Watergate (People)
    Lyn Collins - We Want to Parrty (People)
    Lyn Collins - Rock Me Again & Again (People)
    The Devils - The Xsorcist (People)
    Lee Fields - She's a Love Maker/Let's Talk it Over (London)
    Ju-Par Universal Orchestra - Funky Music/Time (Ju-Par)
    Ricardo Marrerro - Babalonia/My Friend (Yu Qui Yu)
    Jenny's Daughter - Charlie's Gone/Dirty Feet (Paramount)
    Bobby Powell - Love Man/Into My Own Thing (Whit)
    Funkhouse Express - Music Makes You Move (Buddah)
    Wisdom - Nefertiti/What-Cha-Gonna-Du-About-You (Adella)

and a lot more. They were bagged up in groups of 20 and each bags was $1 each! I bought 19 bags.
    Made up for the three flea markets, two estate sales and two thrift stores I hit before this sale.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Wild Middle Eastern Steel Guitar sounds.

Killer Rockabilly!!

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts

• few more great finds yesterday afternoon

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For a guy named "obscure addict" you sure buy alot
    of non-obscure Herbie Mann and Bill Cosby records!

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    all really cheap

the seeds record is not to be confused with the sky saxon band. it's a xian new age record with plenty of vibes and rhodes out of the bay area.
    side two of that audio directions KILLS! brasillian influenced midtempo funky jazz with female vocals.
    the others are dupes.

the arthur davis record is raw.
    the jheri cover is misleading.
    my girl anasarca (holler!) broke that lui record. commands lemuria loot, but doesn't match up with the music. sought after for its rarity and the track oh oh.

the louis x record is actually louis farrakhan. outta sf.
    anyone have a spare cover for the minott
    the sage record is out of san jose with an uptempo funky horn rock track, and a nice ballad on the flip.

• I buy whatever's in front of me what can i say, I just hardly find "obscure" pieces dirt cheap out in the field, most of those are by appointment only secret squirel status.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    still no digital camera, but here's what ive aquired over the last week or so:

plus the new roll deep 12" ('celebrate' - an awesome gulity pleasure), an old Nino Ferrer 'best of' including "le telefon" etc..., some stuff i cant remeber now im at work and a bunch of 80's library records that all suck balls. im gona stop wasting my money on these stupid library records!!

havimng said that... the telemusic library record is brilliant -- composers are Guy Pederson, Raymond Guiot and Janko Nilovic - its the most consistantly enjoyable lib i own (which isnt saying much as i only own about 10) - every track is a winner - includes the awesome "flutes ad libitium" from that CD that came with the 'music library' book.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

does mardis gras have the bells on the 8-track?

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

that 'music for 18 musicinas' is a totally record.awesome.

whats the 'fat mattress' like?? thats sitting in my local store at the moment.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I was curious about that. Is it avant-garde?

whats the 'fat mattress' like?? thats sitting in my local store at the moment.

I'm listening to it right now. No ill braekz yet. It actually seems a little . 'How Can I Live' is decent, and there's an almost jazzy breakdown in 'Mr. Moonshine' that leads to a nice outro.

edit - Yeah, it's kidna academic. Look up Steve Reich; he's a good one. 'New York Counterpoint', 'Electric Counterpoint', some train thing, he's got a lot of really nice stuff. It's not hard to find on CD. He also worked w/ Pat Matheny, so most of his records were on ECM, which is distressingly common.

yeah, i suppose.... its a classic bit of contemporary, minimalist stuff. pretty sure its from the late 70's. all recorded live (i think .. boy, i need to get my facts straight!!) and with 18 musicinas all playing different 'pulses' and patterns with a bell bringing in each new change. the first bit of Steve Reich i ever heard and still my favourite by a long way.

music for 18 musicians

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

edit - Yeah, it's kidna academic. Look up Steve Reich; he's a good one. 'New York Counterpoint', 'Electric Counterpoint', some train thing, he's got a lot of really nice stuff. It's not hard to find on CD. He also worked w/ Pat Matheny, so most of his records were on ECM, which is distressingly common.

the record he did with Methany - "electric counterpoint" is also a pretty awesome listen. its been sampled by RJD" for his track "the proxy". it's not quite as ace as 'music for...'

the record he did with Methany - "electric counterpoint" is also a pretty awesome listen. its been sampled by RJD" for his track "the proxy". it's not quite as ace as 'music for...'

Now that I think about it, didn't the Orb use it for 'Little Fluffy Clouds'?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

I think my copy of Reich's "drumming" has a break

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    damn dude, that esther chan is sik

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    all i picked up this weekend is a clean copy of dom um romao 'spirit of the times'

• ageage 1,131 Posts

word on that sage record.
    Where did you score that?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Came upon some more great 45s this morning, a couple of surprise ones in there too that are great but I have never heard of. Heaps of promo soul, jazz & sixties stuff. I think I found the Red Bird box because there was stacks of that label.

7A3 ??? Coolin??? In Cali???
    Gene Ammons ??? Miss Lucy (Prestige)
    Sil Austin ??? Ode To Billy Joe (SSS)
    Jeff Barry ??? I???ll Still Love You (Red Bird)
    Chris Bartley ??? The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven (Vando)
    Hank Crawford ??? The Peeper (Atlantic)
    Jimmie Cross ??? Super Duper Man (Red Bird) promo
    Carl Douglas & The Big Stampede ??? Crazy Feeling (OKeh) promo
    The Dovells ??? Bristol Stomp (Parkway)
    Egyptian Combo ??? Rockin??? Little Egypt (Norman)
    Red Garland ??? Baby Won???t You Please Come Home (Prestige)
    Glass Family ??? Teenage Rebellion (Sidewalk) promo
    Ellie Greenwich ??? I Want You To Be My Baby (UA) promo
    Guess Who ??? Hey Ho What You Do To Me (Scepter) promo
    Eddie Harris ??? My Buddy (Vee Jay) promo
    Roy Head ??? Just A Little Bit (Scepter)
    The Hesitations ??? My World (Kapp)
    The Impressions ??? Fool For You (Curtom)
    Isley Bros ??? Lay Away (T Neck)
    Isley Bros ??? Keep On Doin??? (T Neck)
    Chuck Jackson ??? Tears Of Joy (Wand)
    Chuck Jackson ??? Lonely Am I (Wand)
    Chuck Jackson ??? I Don???t Want To Cry (Wand)
    Ahmad Jamal ??? All Of You (Argo)
    Ahmad Jamal ??? Should I (Argo)
    Ahmad Jamal ??? Let???s Fall In Love (Argo)
    The Litterbugs ??? Valerie (OKeh) promo
    Darlene Love ??? Today I Met The Boy I???m Gonna Marry (Philles) promo
    Jimmy McGriff ??? Kiko (Sue)
    Murray The K ??? It???s What???s Happenin??? Baby (Red Bird) promo
    Parliament ??? Funkentelechy (Casablanca)
    Don Pittman ??? Chicken (Seven B)
    Lou Rawls ??? Trouble Down Here Below (Capitol)
    Round Robin & The Playboys ??? Do The Slauson (Domain) promo
    Shirley Scott ??? Sent For You Yesterday (Impulse)
    Shaggy Boys ??? Stop The Clock (Red Bird) promo
    Shangri Las ??? Right Now & Not Later (Red Bird)
    Shangri Las ??? Long Live Our Love (Red Bird)
    Shangri Las ??? I Can Never Go Home Anymore (Red Bird)
    The Shirelles ??? Last Minute Miracle (Scepter)
    The Shirelles ??? March You???ll Be Sorry (Scepter)
    Joe Simon ??? What We Gonna Do Now (Spring) promo
    Soul Brothers ??? Notify Me (Wand) promo
    Candi Staton ??? I???m Just A Prisoner (Fame)
    Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band ??? Till You Get Enough (WB)
    Mel Williams ??? Can It Be Me (Modern)
    Tommy Williams ??? From Me (Back Beat)
    Bill Withers ??? Heartbreak Road (Sussex)

Only one LP, but it is nice.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I tried to get a thread going on happy end a while back, personal fav. That's a later pressing I assume?

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I tried to get a thread going on happy end a while back, personal fav. That's a later pressing I assume?

I missed that thread, Ill have to dig it up. I love Happy End. One of my fav Japanese bands. Everything they touch is gold IMO.
    That 45 I posted is a URC Various Artists that was pressed in 1998, but as far as I can tell, I dont think it's a re-issue. I guess someone decided to print this 45 a quarter of a century later Seems to a be a bit on the rare side too.

A-side is Happy End's Kaze O Atsumete from their second album (such an awesome track...one of my favs from the album). The B-side is by Hayakawa Yoshio who I dont know much about.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Wild Middle Eastern Steel Guitar sounds.

Killer Rockabilly!!
    "el topo las manos del campo"lp!! Funny! The owner of the record barn I shop at is selling this piece for 60 to 80 usd's & every copy he gets is scratched up or warped. The gamers in the diggin' game are on that

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

this is in my top 5 records to get high to. ive been loving this album for a decade.

holmes- i just got that cali soul 2 as well. on the cd there is no liner notes for david glover. are there notes on him on the LP? he was a writer/prod for local bay area groups. he worked with the diabolics and soft touch. real nice guy. track is okay.

what you think of the rest of it?