Can anyone relate to this? (digging related)

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
In the past couple of years my record collecting habits have changed drastically.. I used to scour the web/eBay for records I wanted. I spent A LOT of time trying to track specific albums and 45s..But now, I don't even try. If I go into a high end store I don't even want to look in the used bins all that much. It's weird, if I find a record on my own out in the field I seem to appreciate it much more. For me, the days of spending big bucks on records are over. If I find it, cool. If not, eh. Don't get me wrong, there defnitely are some records I want really bad and that I'll drop some money on if the opportunity arises. But I'm not fiending the way I used to. Am I getting old? Can anyone relate to this?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I separate records that I buy on the nets and in the field by if I think it is "achievable" in the field or not. If not, to the net. If so, keep diggin.

• It's great goin out in the world usa and overseas when aval, but when time does not allow searching the net is fantastic. I have no prob shelling out $500 for an og piece that's not reissued and is'nt a one tracker. You only live once..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I'm someone prone to phases of spending. Last year was all records...really beefed up on the collecion.

Now? Bought some furniture with the wife, started saving (in earnest) for a house, and had to buy a car when our old one got totalled.

I'll still ball out for those things that I reallllllly want (Yo, Non. That thing we talked about? will be in 'Toga in July and August. Cash exchange in person????). But, for the most part, if I'm on ebay it's because I'm bored at work; not that I'm looking to spend.

Not to mention that work/life gets in the way...which ain't always bad...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I'll still ball out for those things that I reallllllly want (Yo, Non. That thing we talked about? will be in 'Toga in July and August. Cash exchange in person????).

Possible, gotta see if it's coming down the pike.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

I'll still ball out for those things that I reallllllly want (Yo, Non. That thing we talked about? will be in 'Toga in July and August. Cash exchange in person????).

Possible, gotta see if it's coming down the pike.

No real hurry. Just seemed convenient.

Either way...i'll drop a line and see if you're up for a house visit b/w I'm not paying off vacation.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    maybe you need some inspiration? Like a good show of one of your fav producers, etc?
    I think it seems perfectly normal, for sure.

But I know exactly what you are talking about. I get that way from time to time as well.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i seem to shop from whats available. i like taking home new stuff, but more and more its just: see whats there and pick out the best stuff i can find, as opposed to look for/fiend for certain items. i used to ebay years back but i got tired of the "will i win?" feeling, so i decided to only do buy it nows... and then usually for non-record stuff. like a old book i wanted or what not.

the "want list" is like an albatross, weighing ya down. for me its sorta turned into a "you dont have these, so if you see them, buy them" list.

• I'm new to the game and broke ass. I can't afford to shop on ebay, I can't afford to drop major coin on vinyl. The most "valuable" record I own I was able afford because the guy was a buddy. I don't think that I will ever be able to afford to buy all the records I would like to have. Maybe it's time to take a break from the purchasing and focus on the collection that you have. Look within to find the answer you seek. Sorry, I had a Yoda moment. Keep collecting in perspective. If you are spending money you dont't have it's time to step back. It's o.k. to do that.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Can anyone relate to this?

Absolutely, I've been buying this way for years. It's a bit more exciting when you actually find nice things out in the field. I will only buy on ebay if I'm really really fiending for something or if it flies under the radar.

Now selling, that's another matter

• Maybe it's time to take a break from the purchasing and focus on the collection that you have. Look within to find the answer you seek.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. I have so many damn records that I don't even know what I have anymore. Every now and then I pull some record out and rediscover it all over again. That's almost as much fun as finding it at the Good Will or a yard sale.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I spent A LOT of time trying to track specific albums and 45s..

But now, I don't even try.

Says the man who found the find of the century.

• I now strictly collect cardboard records only.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I can relate, this collecting thing goes in waves and cycles.
    If it always stayed the same it would get really boring IMO.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i seem to shop from whats available. i like taking home new stuff, but more and more its just: see whats there and pick out the best stuff i can find,

That's what I do when I'm looking through the used bins. Yeah, I have things that I'm hoping I can find, but I've been in the game long enuff to know that there are things I didn't know existed till I saw it that day...and I want it all the same!

as opposed to look for/fiend for certain items.

That's me with the reissues. If I've ever gone through a phase where I NEEDED to hear something or other, I got the reissues because I knew it would be there. Otherwise, if I felt like hearing some more Esquerita, say, what the hell are the odds that I'm gonna find it at random in the used bins? At an affordable price?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    now strictly collect cardboard

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I spent A LOT of time trying to track specific albums and 45s..

But now, I don't even try.

Says the man who found the find of the century.
    I can relate!!!100%
    I hardly get a chance to shop or dig in the field, so now it's ebay but I'm starting to really go after dealer sites, network or buy directly from other collectors. The bidding,sniper days for me are coming to an end. Record shows, mail order sites & trading are being considered greatly.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Mr Phil aka SOULMAN put out an amazing mix CD called
    "NEVER STOP DIGGIN"....before and since then
    it's been my motto,steez and religion!!!
    me don't wanna hear none of this kinda talk ya'll
    get out there
    and DITC yo ass off batchez!!!!!!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I had a two year hiatus, and I'm just now starting again. Before the hiatus I would primarily do thrifts, record shows, et cetera, and ebay. The last year before I went on hiatus I started trading in a lot of stuff at the local shop, and wound up getting into the habit of copping heat for bank (nothing serious, never over $50, but when you're making $10 an hour its serious I guess). At this point, it's a good way for me to spend a couple of hours on a day off. I'm far more into the experience of going through some nasty record bins and coming up on a few $10-20 burners for $5 than dropping $50 or $60 at the shop on a single record. But that's not to say that I wouldn't for something that was worth it. Middle of the road forever.