Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    She personally knows of writers who have tried shopping drafts on the subject to snobby New York publishing houses, but to no avail.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You don't ordinarily expect to find a young white man from Austin digging deep into the heart of Blowed Country

You don't ordinarily expect to find a young white man from Austin digging deep into the heart of Blowed Country

True...but I had lived out there before then...circa 84-86.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Well, I'm just as surprised as anyone to see Tamara covering the topic since when I worked with her at URB, I never thought she had much of an interest in hip-hop (as the article indicates, she mostly covered electronic music).

That said, at this point, you gotta respect the hustle that someone made it happen and considering that this book didn't appear on a big NYC trade imprint, it's not like she's necessarily taking the spot from someone else who could write another (or better) book. I haven't read it myself but my friend says David Banner's intro is awesome for whatever that's worth.

RG - I hear where you're coming from but Tamara is not necessarily that much better connected than you or other journalists who have a solid portfolio to back up their experience. Don't hate on the players - find thee a book agent instead if you think you can go one better. (I'm not saying that as a challenge, I'm just saying that the opportunities are ripe).

One last thing: the cover for the book is atrocious however:

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    The six-month[/b] process of writing the book was not just an adventure for Palmer -- a confessed '80s synth-pop head who started out writing about electronic music for Urb magazine in the early '90s, and

I'm having the foresight that a lot of her introduction to "dirty crunk" has something to do with a certain comedian/sketch comedy show on comedy central.

But yo, 6 months? That's it? What hip-hop ,if any, was shelistening to before "crunk music".

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I, personally, don't find it ridiculous that somebody into "electronic" music might suddenly be into "dirty south" since i find more in common with the production aesthetic between the two than differences... unless you mean "Blazing Down Tempo" when you say "electronic."

By the way, sometimes "outsiders" have insights that "insiders" fail to see because of their naivite.

That book does look stinky though.

-e

Dog I just started running 2 months ago, so in 4 monhts can I write a book? I'mma call it

"HOW TO GET IT IN THE YOUNG PHONICS WAY *PASUE*"

I'm not mad at Tamara at all. She's who I used to turn my Austin Massv column into at Urb and she will always be cool in my book.

I just think the whole thing is funny...including Eric throwing in that line about snobby NYC editors.

I'm not even trying to write a handbook on Southern crunk, so y'all can save the jealousy taunts already.

It's weird how much I don't even think of Atlanta as the South...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Dog I just started running 2 months ago, so in 4 monhts can I write a book? I'mma call it

"HOW TO GET IT IN THE YOUNG PHONICS WAY *PASUE*"

If you write a boook, I pity your copy editor. *Oh, schnap!*

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    this has been sitting at my bedside for like a month. i've picked it up and skimmed it like five times but, and not to sound like a jerk, but i really can't be bothered to read the whole thing. i usually read to learn things or be entertained. this does neither. (well i did learn that stat quo is a "political rapper". should i be checking for this guy?)

the david banner intro is great. now i'd buy a book on dirty south hip hop if HE wrote it.

otherwise...

the author plays up the bay->south connection way too much, not that i don't think it's there, but she really went overboard. giving e-40 a whole section on breaking down slang, although a great read, really has no place in a book about the south. save that for your hyphy exploito memoirs.

the chapter on chyna white and cee-lo being religious dirty south rappers was probably the most interesting but i even felt that it could've been better explored. specifically i think of banner and scarface when i think of religion in southern rap music. and it's more dichotomous, than this "well i used to rap with lil jon, now i have a kid and i love god, so i dont rap about that no more"

There was one particularly terrible and long chapter that focused on "up and coming southern acts" like I-20 and Jacki-O and it was just like 20 pages of press releases. For one that label pandering shit should be saved for the magazines, you'd think a journalist would jump at the editorial freedom not having advertisers would offer. And also, it was such an arbitrary selection of "future southern stars". I-20 over, say, chamillionaire? the fuck? it's a nice sentiment, but ultimately a waste of space. if and when these cats blow up and/or make some, then write about them in country fried soul vol. 2, but right now i don't see that happening.

then the last half of the book (100 pages or so) basically deteriorates into a poor mans ego trip book cum glorified works cited.

some of the artists definitely had some interesting things to say, but i'd rather read the interview transcripts than all this editorial musing. i guess the purpose of the book was to create a brief intro to southern rap for the outsider, and i guess it succeeds at that. but really, i already know who 8 ball & mjg are.

i'd say this deals with the topic in a much more concise, informative and entertaining way:

ps - this is a big problem:
    "As far as I know," Palmer says, "the only other book on the Dirty South in an unauthorized unofficial biography of Outkast, written by a fellow that writes celebrity biographies on people like Ricki Lake."

• It's weird how much I don't even think of Atlanta as the South...

why not?

why not?

Having lived in Tampa, New Orleans, Houston, and Austin...Atlanta is way up dare to me.

New York South is what I sometimes call it.

And for good measure...I HATE THE FALCONS!

*further explanation* Within 3 weeks during the 1978 season, the Steve Bartkowski-led Falcons twice beat the Saints 20-17 on last second Hail Mary's. Soon after that, everyone in NOLA was rocking an "I HATE THE FALCONS!" bumper sticker.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    the author plays up the bay->south connection way too much, not that i don't think it's there, but she really went overboard.

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1119035747soulmarcosa">

Cue sound of[/b]
    Archaic revving up the Honda to go pick up this amazingly insightful tome ASAP!
    Archaic calling lawyer to sue author for biting his West via South rap thesis
    Archaic grumbling that author plays up the bay->south connection way too little
    Archaic chastising Noz for not sufficiently recognizing the Blowed influence on the dirty dirty, while simultaneously dismissing Georgia Soulstrutters for not being Southern enough

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

Yee jock in jest yet jock nonetheless.

I think it's safe to say that there are many future books on the topic waiting to be written.

BTW, six months isn't that short of a time to write a book. It is an insanely short amount of time to research AND write a book however.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think it's safe to say that there are many future books on the topic waiting to be written.

BTW, six months isn't that short of a time to write a book. It is an insanely short amount of time to research AND write a book however.

Although in fairness to the author, it is an understandable amount of time to write a book about a current cultural event, something that is "hot." Considering the lengthy process from turning in your final MS to the book actually reaching the shelves, if you are writing what amounts to an extended magazine article in book form about something currently popular, I'm sure the publisher expects a pretty tight deadline to a) be the first one on the market with this subject, and b) try to "cash in" on the trend before it goes the way of (in their thinking), um, "grunge" or (insert-slick-magazine-trend-of-the-month-here).

Although in fairness to the author, it is an understandable amount of time to write a book about a current cultural event, something that is "hot." Considering the lengthy process from turning in your final MS to the book actually reaching the shelves, if you are writing what amounts to an extended magazine article in book form about something currently popular, I'm sure the publisher expects a pretty tight deadline to a) be the first one on the market with this subject, and b) try to "cash in" on the trend before it goes the way of (in their thinking), um, "grunge" or (insert-slick-magazine-trend-of-the-month-here).

SOI: I know what you're saying but that's precisely my point: it's hard to imagine any book of this sort being "good" if you're on that kind of deadline.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

when i think of the dirty south, a skinny hot white chick does not come to mind.

anyways, back to your corny books

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

One last thing: the cover for the book is atrocious however:

So is the book--I paged through it at Barnes & Noble while on lunch one day a few weeks ago.

That shit is trash--I had assumed the author was British or something and was writing from the distance of another continent. If she's actually in this country, then she's got no excuse.

For real, the fact that books like this even get published pisses me off.

What the fuck, man? What kind of shit are you gonna post next?

(well i did learn that stat quo is a "political rapper". should i be checking for this guy?)

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that nobody in Atlanta is checking for that dude.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

SOI: I know what you're saying but that's precisely my point: it's hard to imagine any book of this sort being "good" if you're on that kind of deadline.

True, if there is ever a good book written about southern hip hop, it will be written in like 2031, when everything is in perspective, and someone who has lived and loved it for their whole life puts it all down on paper, like so many great jazz/blues/etc books are.

(well i did learn that stat quo is a "political rapper". should i be checking for this guy?)

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that nobody in Atlanta is checking for that dude.

He's on Aftermath, STAT QUO=The new Last Emperor

He's on Aftermath, STAT QUO=The new Last Emperor

Last Emperor at least seemed to have kind of an internet nerd audience--I don't think Stat Quo even has that.

I think he might, I'm not into that type of backpack rap (I think we all know what kind of a backpack rap stuff that fits my lifestyle) so I really woudn't know.

I meant "Last Emperor" as in a dude who's gonna be languishing in limbo for two years,get dropped, and who's fanbase is gonna be dudes who buy everything that comes with a giftpack from hiphopsite.com.

dudes who buy everything that comes with a giftpack from hiphopsite.com.

Why do all of their "news" items relate to some upcoming giftpack?

"The dude from Lootpack who isn't Madlib will be putting out a triple DVD! Which will be included with all hiphopsite orders of $50 or more placed during the month of July!"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    get money get money mo money mo money

I'm embarassed to admit it, but I've preordered some stuff from them based on the promo vinyl they were giving out. But then again, shit sells like crazy on eBay.

Oh yeah, and that book looks atrocious.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Are you telling me that the town is not "Stat-lanta"? And do you display the proper distance from the actual city itself to truly "know it"?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    That shit is trash

Well I don't see you writing a book on southern hip hop!

That shit is trash

Well I don't see you writing a book on southern hip hop!

Maybe after I finish assembling this toaster...