Marley Marl had a heart attack

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Pioneering Hip-Hop producer Marley Marl suffered a heart attack yesterday (June 5) sources told AllHipHop.com. While details are sketchy, sources said Marley Marl, born Marlon Williams, is in a New York area hospital and is in stable condition. Marley Marl is one of the most influential producers in the history of Hip-Hop. In the early 80's and 90's, Marley crafted seminal records for rappers like Eric B. & Rakim, MC Shan, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, TLC, Masta Ace and Kool G. Rap. Marley Marl's Juice Crew was also involved in rap's most famous feud with KRS-One and Boogie Down Productions, a beef which produced a number of classic Hip-Hop singles like "The Bridge" by MC Shan and KRS One's answer record, "The Bridge is Over." Marley Marl and KRS One have since ended their feud and released an album together titled Hip-Hop Lives, which was released last month via Koch Records.For the full story log on: http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=7189

Comments

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Very sad news.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Damn. I hope he makes a full recovery. Heart attacks usually either kill you or they don't, so if he was strong enough to survive, then he'll hopefully pull through altogether.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Heart attacks usually either kill you or they don't

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Yea, he made it through so that's a good sign. Let's get him on the Soulstrut fitness plan! We can't loose any more legands!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Hahaha! I kinda left myself open for that, didn't I?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Very sad news.

Damn.

Makes me feel old.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Yea, he made it through so that's a good sign. Let's get him on the Soulstrut fitness plan! We can't loose any more legands!

I know Marly had a Problem with . I hope It wasn't the cause of his heart attack.

I think Marley's problem is that he just let hisself get sloppy big in his latter days. But who knows. You really gotta watch your health when you get up into your 40s, especially us black folk. Hypertension and heart disease are real problems for black dudes- i'm on medication for that schitt myself.

• It`s probably overworking too.
    He`s been all over the globe promoting the new LP and is probably scheduled for even more work in the coming months.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    Damn, this shit sucks. Marley is a true pioneer and a dude who utilised raers to his advantage. Even though he wasn't a digger per se, he brought a lot of records that weren't Bronx joints into our consciousness. Lafayette afro-Rock Band, Lou Donaldson,
    Alvin Cash, Albert King, Otis Redding and others. Dude is a pioneer who generally gets overlooked and is always cordial and decent when you meet him in person. I hope he gas a full recovery and becomes a advocate for healthier living amongst those Hip-Hop heads of a certain age(me included).

• "Marley Marl is one helluva man"

My favorite of his programming is actually Biz Markie Goin' Off LP.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery.