Pinkberry

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
is anybody else fucking with this shit will get you hooked.Out in the valley cats get blunted in theri cars stand in line get that good shit with some cap'n crunch and forget what to do with the rest of their daysBurbank now looks like a yuppie opium denand they rock Grace Jones on the soundsystemSPEAK ON IT

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I know a lot of peeps like that shit.

I tried it once, I didn't find anything orgasmic about it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

you tried pinkberry...

on weed?

you tried pinkberry...

on weed?

Ah. Love the smell of Kush though! (I don't smoke).

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    pinkberry is trash.

• Pinkberry is dope. I like Cantaloop better though.
    Complete ripoff down to the logo, but it just tastes better and the wait isn't as epic.

The middle of the country needs to catch on soon.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Tigra (from L'Trimm) did a theme song for the chain:

http://pinkberry.com/swf/Pinkberry.mp3

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    BACTERIA CULTURES

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BACTERIA CULTURES

Philly Phil: that's the thing though. It was recently revealed by the LA Times that Pinkberry's frozen yogurt is made from POWDER and thus, doesn't really have that many active cultures.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Pinkberry - the taste that launched 1000 parking tickets.

I think I'll have a meatshake instead.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    BACTERIA CULTURES

Philly Phil: that's the thing though. It was recently revealed by the LA Times that Pinkberry's frozen yogurt is made from POWDER and thus, doesn't really have that many active cultures.

i know, that's why i said that

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    pinkberry is actually a rip off unto itself. its basically a copy of iceberry or ice kiss or some trendy yogurt shop out in seoul. every boba shop in ktown is now turning over to YOGURT.

pinkberry is actually a rip off unto itself. its basically a copy of iceberry or ice kiss or some trendy yogurt shop out in seoul. every boba shop in ktown is now turning over to YOGURT.

Pinkberry is original to So Cal though, right? Were there many yogurt spots pitching "natural yogurt" before them?

Pinkberry is original to So Cal though, right? Were there many yogurt spots pitching "natural yogurt" before them?

if you are talking about the name Pinkberrry, then yes. but she basically ripped off the business model all the way down to the ikea inspired interior design.

• pinkberry is trash.

Thank you.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I been there last time I was in LA I think.

Japanese minimalist/cheezy all-white decor? I think there might have even been some vinyl collectible dolls thrown in for good Japanese measure.

Am I thinking of the same place?

if the product tasted like fruit laced barf then YES! but actually, the knockoffs are doing the same thing too...

and for that real shit, teri hawaiian on artesia in gardena. they do the real hawaiian shave ice with the blade chipper, ice cream and azuki bean! oishiso!!!

I been there last time I was in LA I think.

Japanese minimalist/cheezy all-white decor? I think there might have even been some vinyl collectible dolls thrown in for good Japanese measure.

Am I thinking of the same place?

Yeah though the minimalist decor isn't Japanese so much as European. They don't sell collectible dolls at the ones I've seen - they sell Aleis(sp?) housewares which are molded plastic goods for people who subscribe to ID Magazine.

Keep in mind - Pinkberry isn't Japanese-run. As Shig noted - the original creator is Koraen Am and the style of shop is imported from similar shops in Seoul.

Shig: I'm not defending pinkberry but calling it a "rip off" of spots in Seoul seems off the mark insofar as no one is claiming Pinkberry is original in the world, but it does seem original for the US. I mean, boba tea came from Taiwan but that doesn't mean it wasn't a new thing for most Americans.

http://www.laweekly.com/eat+drink/c...inkberry/14825/

i see what youre getting at. but i think most americans have heard of frozen yogurt.

*laugh* This is another one of those micro-arguments but hey, I'll play:

If most Americans have heard of frozen yogurt, why is Pinkberry causing traffic jams? Clearly, they've managed to convince people - stupid or not - that they're on some next shit when it comes to frozen yogurt. I'm not a big fan of PB insofar as I don't like overpaying just for the sake of decor and "atmosphere" (I'll save those duckets for Chickalicious in the East Village. Real headz know the deal).

But Pinkberry has inspired a lot of yogurt spots in my neck of the woods to totally try to bite their steez. That's b/c of Pinkberry. So even if PB bit their steez from Seoul shops (which I find totally plausible), you still have to acknowledge that PB has done some genius marketing job of getting people in the door AND getting a bunch of other yogurt spots to panic and adjust their style to match.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Keep in mind - Pinkberry isn't Japanese-run. As Shig noted - the original creator is Koraen Am and the style of shop is imported from similar shops in Seoul.

right but isn't that asthetic in itself ripped off from the Japanese by the Koreans?

:5pager: b/w totally joking.

huh? i thought you asked me if it was a socal original? it is not. that article from la weekly didnt show up. here it is cut and pasted. jonathan gold pinkberry article

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    it's just the newest trend, like bagels were in the late 90's. Remember all the Noah's, etc. that came and went. I remember frozen yogurt being popular in the 80's. This is just repackaged with a new sensibility to appeal to the gen x-y-z whatever.

I noticed the dolls, and even a coffee press at the melrose pinkberry last night.

Even Starbucks has peaked and is losing momentum. PB is obviously not starbucks, but I see people losing money on this in a few years after the hype dies down.

huh? i thought you asked me if it was a socal original? it is not. that article from la weekly didnt show up. here it is cut and pasted. jonathan gold pinkberry article

Shiggy: That Gold article states that Pinkberry was inspired by shops in Seoul. So it's not original as I agreed with you before. But it is ORIGINAL TO SO CAL.

No?

remember TCBY?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I would always see TCBY commercials on TV but I NEVER saw a store around. The only time I saw it was in airport terminals.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    remember TCBY?

that is one of the places I frequented in the 80s, along with various other frozen yogurt joints I hit up as a young buck.

nothing new imo

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    remember TCBY?

that is one of the places I frequented in the 80s, along with various other frozen yogurt joints I hit up as a young buck.

nothing new imo

anyone remember:

Heidi's frojen yozert
    Penguins

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    remember TCBY?

i got jumped by 3 40 oz swilling chumps outside of a TCBY once for getting a hug from a chick one of them was trying hard to holler at. the frozen yogurt was good though.

remember TCBY?

nothing new imo

anyone remember:

Heidi's frojen yozert
    Penguins

Penguins used to be the shit. I haven't gone there in decades.

it's just the newest trend, like bagels were in the late 90's. Remember all the Noah's, etc. that came and went. I remember frozen yogurt being popular in the 80's. This is just repackaged with a new sensibility to appeal to the gen x-y-z whatever.

I absolutely agree but I'm just trying to suggest that the "new sensibility" is what sets Pinkberry apart. Where I live on the Westside, there's at least four frozen yogurt places I can get to within 10 minutes and Pinkberry is the only one that's causing the other three places to bite.

From what I can see, frozen yogurt never went out of style. What Pinkberry did was find a new way to sell it and they've done it in a way that I do think it's original for the U.S. I mean, who the fuck was really hawking sour yogurt vs. vanilla/chocolate/etc.?