London Olympics Logo Designstrut

magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
This is so shockingly bad, shit cost equivalent of a million dollars to design. I gotta get in that industry.

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    It looks like the tag of a seven year old.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The BBC invited visitors to their website to come up with their own alternative versions of the logo. This one was hastily removed when somebody realised what the inspiration for it was...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

This is so shockingly bad, shit cost equivalent of a million dollars to design. I gotta get in that industry.

??400k for what looks like the two squiggles on the right giving head to the squiggles on the left. Aside from comedy value it's fuckin' terrible.

• what is it??????

I see an L and I guess the whole bottom half is a R possibly?

what is it??????

Supposedly a 2 and a 0 for the upper half, and a 1 and 2 for the lower.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    what is it??????

Supposedly a 2 and a 0 for the upper half, and a 1 and 2 for the lower.

i would never have got that in a million years.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Contrary to popular opinion, I'm digging that logo.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Brilliant.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    haha i know someone who worked on it, and even they think it is terrible.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't know what's worse the design or the bullshit that comes with it..

LONDON (Reuters) - Organisers of the London 2012 Olympics unveiled the games logo on Monday, calling it powerful and modern, although one critic denounced it as "hideous".

The jagged, graffiti-like blow-up of the number 2012 comes in a range of colours including hot pink and electric blue.[/b] Its cost has not been revealed.

Organisers said "the powerful, modern emblem symbolises the dynamic Olympic spirit and its inspirational ability to reach out to people all over the world". (and universally offend their eyes, I pressume)

The logo, designed by brand consultants Wolff Olins, will be used to promote both the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. The design features the word "London" and the five Olympic rings.

"When people see the new brand, we want them to be inspired to make a positive change in their life,"[/b] said Prime Minister Tony Blair.

The new branding also got the thumbs up from Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
    "This is a truly innovative brand logo that graphically captures the essence of the London 2012 Olympic Games, namely to inspire young people around the world through sport and the Olympic values," he said.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

T&C!!!!!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    that logo makes me long for the days of:

and:

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    haha i know someone who worked on it, and even they think it is terrible.

Exactly. Never underestimate the role of the client in the creation of bad design.

• What little they show of the video looks incredibly fucking fresh and now the logo makes much more sense to me. By itself, it's so weird, but in the context of the motion graphics, it fits perfectly.

And think about it, when was the last time a LOGO caused this much stir? The entire world is talking about a logo, and therefore they're talking about the Olympics. Does anyone know off the top of their head where the 2008 Olympics are gonna be? Anyone remember where the 2004 Olympics were?

And can anyone find a link to the full-length video?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I did not realize that there was a popular consensus on whether or not you dug the logo.

I'll make a note.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Someone on another board remarked that it looks like Lisa Simpson goin' down on someone.

What was once just a bad logo in my eyes is now forever tainted.

PS Somewhere, Young Phonz is tittering at the word "tainted." And possibly at the word "tittering."

• Someone on another board remarked that it looks like Lisa Simpson goin' down on someone.

holy shit it does..Lisa on the right side..facing the left. now I like it.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Feels really fresh to me. Possible NU Rave influence?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Feels really fresh to me. Possible NU Rave influence?

Sa-Ra is now available in white?!

Maybe now Moist can start up a Latino faction!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Damn that video is fuct. Puts some excitement into the Olympics. Leave it to the British.

Reminds me of the Mexico vs. Nigeria match in Soccer at the 1994 Atlanta Olympics. The Macarena was hott, and the Coke Machine bomb went off in downtown Atlanta.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    NEW YORK TIMES
    June 7, 2007
    2012 Olympic Logo: Sparks Precede the Flame
    By ALAN COWELL

LONDON, June 6 ??? It was said to provoke epileptic seizures. Someone compared it to a broken swastika or ???some sort of comical sex act between ???The Simpsons.??? ??? The mayor was not amused.

The rollout of London???s new logo for the 2012 Olympics, in other words, has not been an unalloyed triumph.

Two days after it was introduced on Monday, the logo ??? a composition of subway-graffitilike, jagged-edged cutouts roughly denoting the figures 2012, in pink and yellow ??? has become front-page news. One newspaper, The Sun, ran a competition to discover whether amateur designers ??? two of whom it identified in its pages as a monkey and a blind woman ??? could do better.

An online petition gathered 35,000 signatures to protest the logo and demand that it be replaced. But perhaps the brouhaha evoked some other considerations, most notably concerning Britons??? ambivalent attitude not just to winning the right to stage the Olympics, but also to dealing with innovation, design and success itself.

The logo ???is not simple, it is not memorable, it is not beautiful,??? the columnist Magnus Linklater wrote in The Times of London. ???It is bound to be a success.???

To the 2012 Organizing Committee, ???the new emblem is dynamic, modern and flexible.???

An animated version on a Web site was withdrawn after advocacy groups representing people with epilepsy said that flashing lights provoked more than 10 seizures among the estimated 23,000 people vulnerable to a photo-sensitive form of epilepsy.

The display was withdrawn, but the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, who had reportedly refused to endorse the logo, also took issue with the $800,000 tab for designing it without a study of its impact.

???If you employ someone to design a car and it kills you, you???re pretty unhappy about that,??? he said. ???If you employ someone to design a logo for you and they haven???t done a basic health check, you have to ask what they do for their money.???

On Web sites, critics registered sharp opposition. ???It resembles a swastika and looks like graffiti ??? two things London is not about and should not aspire to,??? said an opponent, Peter Donovan.

The organizing committee insisted that it would not withdraw the logo. Indeed, Sebastian Coe, the committee chairman, called it ???an invitation to take part and be involved.???

It was an invitation that British newspapers accepted with glee.

Most newspapers said Wednesday that their readers had sent in their own versions. The Sun published a display of five alternative designs, one painted by a macaque monkey named Katie. Another was reported as having come from Deborah Jones, 36, who was said to be blind.

As a columnist, Jane Moore, wrote in The Sun, the Olympic organizers say, ???It???ll grow on us.???

???So does foot fungus,??? she added.

But might the response have said more about a conservative nation???s resistance to newness? Or could the reaction have touched also on a deep-seated and curmudgeonly reluctance to play host to a venture like the Olympics without forecasting its doom well in advance?

???When something is so swingingly attacked as the 2012 logo has been, it tells you more about the people doing the attacking, and their taste, than about the design in question,??? said Michael Wolff, the co-founder of Wolff Olins, the branding agency that designed the logo. ???Prejudice is comfortable and lazy.???

Mr. Wolff, who has since formed a separate company, went on to say in The Evening Standard, ???I think this petulant reaction will subside and pride will take its place.???

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    ah yes, it must be a zionist conspiracy. it is the only explanation.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I think the logo is 5 years ahead of its time.

I like it.