LOL***LOL***LOL*** {ebay/gas related}

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

paypal has taken almost $2... plus, yes it does cost real money to buy mailers, tape, gas to the PO, etc. Please just stop.

Then surely it would make more sense to start your opening bids at a price that takes into account all of your expenses,rather than try to add them to shipping as a hidden cost.

This doesn't make any sense - it's not the opening bids it's the closing bids that are what counts.

Seriously, you're getting records shipped to your doorstep for a fraction of what they would cost locally, you're really complaining over 2 or 3 American dollars??

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    in all seriousness, when I ship sometimes the tag is a couple bucks lower than I expected, sometimes its a couple bucks more. I do not make money on shipping if anything I lose or at best break even (especially if you're counting paypal fees). I have been given a hard time before by some who seem to think I am caking out because the shipping tag was 2 or 3 bucks less than what they paid.

Anyone getting heated over a couple bucks on shipping must be a real tightwad.

To be honest I don't mind being overcharged a little occasionally and I don't think the majority of sellers are hitting it big by overcharging for shipping but my gripe is that for all the people who have sent me a request for extra shipping I've never[/b] had anyone refund anything because they charged too much...

Yeah I hear you. I will usually process a refund if it's like $5 or more. Within the $2-3 mark I will just chalk it up to the game. Unfortunately records all weigh differently and the post office doesn't come up with its rates with us in mind.

• kinjameskinjames 19 Posts

paypal has taken almost $2... plus, yes it does cost real money to buy mailers, tape, gas to the PO, etc. Please just stop.

Then surely it would make more sense to start your opening bids at a price that takes into account all of your expenses,rather than try to add them to shipping as a hidden cost.

This doesn't make any sense - it's not the opening bids it's the closing bids that are what counts.

I was assuming that the opening bid was the minimum that the seller would be happy to accept for the item so surely it would make sense to add initial overheads to this cost ???

Just making my reasoning a little clearer not trying to add fuel to the fire...

Definitely not - I start everything at $9.99 to keep fees down and to entice bidding, even when I would never in my life accept $9.99 for the record itself.

It depends - if it's stuff I have overstock on, I really don't care. If I'm bulk-listing common reggae 12"s or something then I start them at $6 and am happy to get that on some of them.

But because of the fee structure and bidders' unwillingness to play on high starting bids or reserve items, I always use low starting bids and no reserves.

Besides, the ebay and paypal fees vary depending on how much you make, so say you paid $20 for a record that sells for $35 - after fees you've barely made $10.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    OK, I suppose I should give some backround on the "Bapt issue"... this dude was on the Waxidermy forum downloading rips of rare records that people are sometimes kind enough to record and post... when all of the sudden out of nowhere he (Bapt) has this really super nasty spaz attack because some people were not encoding their MP3's at 320. Like a 3 page gripper freak-out over it. It was fucked up to say the least. So, I jokingly called him a "bit-rate nazi"... like the soup nazi in the show Seinfeld. It was a joke. Anyhow, this retard just fucking FLIPS OUT over it and has been making snide little comments about me for the last 6-8 months. Seriously dude, get a grip.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I was assuming that the opening bid was the minimum that the seller would be happy to accept for the item so surely it would make sense to add initial overheads to this cost ???

I understand the idea, and in fact suggested it myself to
    my old boss, who was notorious for making extra $$$ on his
    shipping charges (and justifying it because we were "the fastest
    shippers on eBay :eyeroll:) - but, you do realize you are still
    suggesting the same thing, just applied in a different manner, right?
    I mean, if your issue is with the seller offsetting expenses through
    the cost to the buyer, whether it is through a high shipping rate
    or a rider placed on all opening bids, the intent and outcome
    are still the same, no?

Yes but it doesn't matter if you start the bidding at $12.99 or $9.99 - the record is still going to sell for $20 (or whatever). It doesn't compensate the seller any more than before because the actual sale price is still the same.

I think what you guys are pushing towards is for a seller to build these costs into the wholesale price. Imagine telling Greybeard at the flea or Strollin' Otis at the junk shop that you can only pay him 75 cents, not $1.25, because costs on ebay have gone up!

I understand the idea, and in fact suggested it myself to
    my old boss, who was notorious for making extra $$$ on his
    shipping charges (and justifying it because we were "the fastest
    shippers on eBay :eyeroll:) - but, you do realize you are still
    suggesting the same thing, just applied in a different manner, right?
    I mean, if your issue is with the seller offsetting expenses through
    the cost to the buyer, whether it is through a high shipping rate
    or a rider placed on all opening bids, the intent and outcome
    are still the same, no?

Your right the outcome is the same and I don't mind what it costs as long as I'm aware of the fact when I'm placing my bid so if the item has a high starting bid or the shipping and extra charges are clearly listed them it isn't an issue.

Not listing shipping charges and then asking over the odds when you send a paypal invoice is...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

You're senile.

Not listing shipping charges and then asking over the odds when you send a paypal invoice is...

The funny thing is, the point, at least in the case of
    this thread, is basically moot - because, as far as I
    can see, the seller in question wasn't jacking up shipping
    costs post-auction, it's just that Bapt thinks he should
    only pay the exact cost of shipping, down to the penny,
    which pretty much nobody else outside of France seems to think
    is necessary.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

The funny thing is, the point, at least in the case of
    this thread, is basically moot - because, as far as I
    can see, the seller in question wasn't jacking up shipping
    costs post-auction, it's just that Bapt thinks he should
    only pay the exact cost of shipping, down to the penny,
    which pretty much nobody else outside of France seems to think
    is necessary.

Com'on. So you're judging me too?
    I read that you think I should pay "the exact cost of shipping, down to the penny bla bla..."
    I have never said that, never at all.

I think that when you sell records, you sell records so don't ask to the buyer to understand your life...
    As a buyer I don't want to know if you got a car, you need to pay the gas or whatever, nahmsayin?
    I just want my records, well packed and ship at a decent price.
    Once again when I sell records I don't tell the buyer "Yo I risk my life when I go to the post office with my bike, so I will overcharge you ok?"

So, for me when that dude says he needs to pay his time, the gas... this is funny[/b]

Thank you.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

Com'on. So you're judging me too?
    I read that you think I should pay "the exact cost of shipping, down to the penny bla bla..."
    I have never said that, never at all.

I think that when you sell records, you sell records so don't ask to the buyer to understand your life...
    As a buyer I don't want to know if you got a car, you need to pay the gas or whatever, nahmsayin?
    I just want my records, well packed and ship at a decent price.
    Once again when I sell records I don't tell the buyer "Yo I risk my life when I go to the post office with my bike, so I will overcharge you ok?"

So, for me when that dude says he needs to pay his time, the gas... this is funny[/b]

Thank you.

Dude, it's called "shipping AND HANDLING"

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Dude, it's called "shipping AND HANDLING"

Uhmm... no, thanks.

Right, but he wasn't overcharging you.

He was just trying to give you a satisfactory
    answer to your e-mail complaining about his shipping cost.

And as far as whether you ever said you want to only pay
    the exact cost to the penny, I believe your initial question
    to the seller was, "is the amount charged the amount I'm
    going to see on the stamp(sic)?"

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Right, I tried to understand why the shipping cost was higher than what I normally pay.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    sick of motherfuckers just wanting to pay what is on the fucking postage...AND they think they are clever sending you a link to the USPS site with the shipping charge for a package with the weight of an LP...not taking into consideration the COST of a proper mailer AND the weight of a proper mailer...so, euro dudes, if you are complaining about 2 fucking dollars, wich is just a little more than a fucking euro, stop buying records from the US...plain and simple. US and Japanese buyers will keep us afloat...

• lol

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    OK, I suppose I should give some backround on the "Bapt issue"... this dude was on the Waxidermy forum downloading rips of rare records that people are sometimes kind enough to record and post... when all of the sudden out of nowhere he (Bapt) has this really super nasty spaz attack because some people were not encoding their MP3's at 320. Like a 3 page gripper freak-out over it. It was fucked up to say the least. So, I jokingly called him a "bit-rate nazi"... like the soup nazi in the show Seinfeld. It was a joke. Anyhow, this retard just fucking FLIPS OUT over it and has been making snide little comments about me for the last 6-8 months. Seriously dude, get a grip.

That was one of the finest hours for audiophile freakouts on waxidermy. 320 BPS OR DIE!!

In defense of Bapt, like half the posts on soulstrut and waxidermy lately are about the postal service and/or ebay.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

That was one of the finest hours for audiophile freakouts on waxidermy. 320 BPS OR DIE!!

In defense of Bapt, like half the posts on soulstrut and waxidermy lately are about the postal service and/or ebay.

Can someone link to said freakout?

Can someone link to said freakout?

No, cause it was in the