"Funky Nassau" LP Appreciation

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,I was listening to the "Funky Nassau" LP by The Beginning of the End (one of the few LPs I haven't packed yet). I hadn't listened to it for years, but damn it's funky!!! "Come Down" is my shit!!!! If folks weren't so up on it, I'd have to sample it Anyone else really "jones" off of this LP? Holla!!!Peace,Big Stacks from KakalakP.S. Also, I was feelin' the Rhythm Machine "S/T" joint too!!!

Comments

• reskresk 391 Posts
    great album fo sho, "in the deep" is my jam.

still yet to come accross S/T for a reasonable price, other than for 200+ from a dealer.

i heard needle drops the S/T lp, sounded good to me, but another dealer friend of mine tells me its not too good.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    im a big fan of it although mines not in the best conditon. can't grummble too much as it only cost me a ??1. i must pull the cash out and mint up some time.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    found a very good quality one that i bought for $1 when i first started buying records. it was a random pick for me, before i knew what it was!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    a semi related question..
    does anyone know if the funky nassau 45 was ever repressed.
    i saw one at a record show for $12 but it looked way too clean and suspected repress.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

You don't need that Rhythm Machine LP to weigh you down on your big move.
    You need to send it to The Non.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Bought my copy of the Funky Nassau LP at Antone's during my first (and only to this point) trip to Austin in the early 90's. It was $14.99 and worth every penny.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i saw one at a record show for $12 but it looked way too clean and suspected repress.

im sure theres multiple presses, its stupid common.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    i got a copy for sale if someone wants it.

• a semi related question..

Does anyone know how many copies of the 45 for Funky Nassau sold? I would guess a couple hundred thousand but that's just a wild guess. I do see copies of it in pretty much every soul collection I look at.

• Great LP and surprisingly expensive (ie not that common) considering the success of the single.

Wouldn't mind a copy of the second LP either

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Does anyone know how many copies of the 45 for Funky Nassau sold? I would guess a couple hundred thousand but that's just a wild guess. I do see copies of it in pretty much every soul collection I look at.

According to Henry Stone, the single went platinum and reached #15 on the Billboard Hot 100. Alston had a local hit with the single (V.P.M. 4621) and then sent it over to Atlantic/Alston.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    when I first heard the song Funky Nassau I thought they were saying "fuckin' asshole". Am I the only one?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

According to Henry Stone, the single went platinum and reached #15 on the Billboard Hot 100. Alston had a local hit with the single (V.P.M. 4621) and then sent it over to Atlantic/Alston.

the green label alston one shows up all the time, but i just found one on the yellow and white atco label. Anyone know if its actually less common than the alston? its the only one ive found vs. at least 15-20 of the alstons.

that vpi one is nice. never seen one in person.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    when I first heard the song Funky Nassau I thought they were saying "fuckin' asshole". Am I the only one?

haha yes! it totally sounds like that, but i had the 45 playing when i first heard it so i knew. but i still sang along "...fuckin asshole...fuckin asshole.. " haha

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

the green label alston one shows up all the time, but i just found one on the yellow and white atco label. Anyone know if its actually less common than the alston? its the only one ive found vs. at least 15-20 of the alstons.

that vpi one is nice. never seen one in person.

I've also seen a red-label Alston variation. I don't think it's a UK pressing, either. It was on the Bay over a year ago and went un-bid on for something in the range of 5-10.

Additionally: The VPM pressing, as indicated on the label, is mono.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

haha yes! it totally sounds like that, but i had the 45 playing when i first heard it so i knew. but i still sang along "...fuckin asshole...fuckin asshole.. " haha

"asshole gone funky.... asshole got a whole lottas hole..."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The VPM pressing, as indicated on the label, is mono.

Wasn't the Alston pressing mono too? Stereo singles weren't all that common in 1971 (although some labels were doing it, like Columbia).

• This lp is great, i prefer wess & the airedales version of funky nassau. I actually just scored a wlp of this beginning of the end lp, and only for $30 in great shape... sleve is a bit worse than i'd norm want but for wlp it's all good.