Comments

• Test One was my sh!t growing up. For the longest time I thought it was called Test Tube thus having a difficult finding this joint.

Ah memories.....

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Some amazing tunes in there. Robin S' "Show Me Love" was good to hear after so long. Propsarone.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Some amazing tunes in there. Robin S' "Show Me Love" was good to hear after so long. Propsarone.

was this ever released with the inst. version on 12"? I can't find it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The D-Mob was crazy to see after all these years. That guy screaming aceeeeeeeed! used to scare me when I was a kid. Looks so bugged out.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    This is great, thanks so much! One of the best music-related threads on here in a while...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Is it hard to find an audience for this stuff these days?

I'm only new to retro house, largely due to me reading "Last night a dj saved my life". But I love the vibe, the attitude and the sound of early house.

Would it be correct in me saying that most kids who listen to house these days don't seem to give a fuck about their musical history - or at least show any affection to the early house sound?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I'm only new to retro house, largely due to me reading "Last night a dj saved my life". But I love the vibe, the attitude and the sound of early house.

Would it be correct in me saying that most kids who listen to house these days don't seem to give a fuck about their musical history - or at least show any affection to the early house sound?
    everybody says this about all genres, if anything house has a much larger fanbase obsessed w/ its past than most. at least in this country

everybody says this about all genres, if anything house has a much larger fanbase obsessed w/ its past than most. at least in this country

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Plus house music never really died off, so a lot of people have been with it since close to the beginning. If anything, serious house fans can be reverent to the point of boredom... see also deephousepage.com

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ^^^Yeah that said a lot of it is driven by this whole soulful/authentic/'realness' thing that would have been bizarre to anyone who was listening to, you know, acid house back in '88 or whatever. So in some sense while house heads are all about history, its a very exclusive/narrowminded view sometimes about what that history actually includes

^^^Yeah that said a lot of it is driven by this whole soulful/authentic/'realness' thing that would have been bizarre to anyone who was listening to, you know, acid house back in '88 or whatever. So in some sense while house heads are all about history, its a very exclusive/narrowminded view sometimes about what that history actually includes

Yeah for sure! Although that backwards-looking quality was there at the beginning for those producers who were trying to keep disco alive.

While I was writing that last post, it occurred to me that I've been listening to 'proper' house since '93, which means that more house music history has happened while I was listening to it than before... where's the grumpy old dude graemlin?