Moscow -- Records, Culture.... Help?!?!

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Heya,Anyone here ever been to Moscow? I'm going there next week to DJ at this hotel for 2 weeks, wanna know what the country is like. Any tips or precautions to take??? I hear varing warnings from people and wanna know if it's as intense as people "make" it out to be...Also, anyone know any record stores in Moscow. I have 15 days there.And finally, if anyone knows what are some good russian records to cop, and if there are any pics could they post them??? I know the Melodiya Ensamble stuff, but that's about all right now....Cheers!B

Comments

• I would recommend you to go to the thorntree forum on lonelyplanet.com for safety advices, food, areas to check out etc

Just do a search on Moscow.

Cant help you with russian records.

Have a safe trip.

Dress

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Fellow strutter invrs was there some time ago and told me about the strata east heat in the crates. he should be able to drop some record shop/raers knowledge!

don??t worry about security and strange culture so much. it??s expensive, but rather safe in general and there??s a lot to see. have fun!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Fellow strutter invrs was there some time ago and told me about the strata east heat in the crates. he should be able to drop some record shop/raers knowledge!

don??t worry about security and strange culture so much. it??s expensive, but rather safe in general and there??s a lot to see. have fun!

cheers mate, i hit him up, hopefully he comes thru... not much info or help on this topic out there! someone pull out their Russian raer knowledge!

b

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

cheers mate, i hit him up, hopefully he comes thru... not much info or help on this topic out there! someone pull out their Russian raer knowledge!

b

How about some vintage russian synths

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

B*v*n, hope you're doing good homie!
    In Russia find me another Variety Music (Melodya) LP for me, find me some Jaazzzz

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Moscow, is great. It will be light out until 11:00 at night which is kind of wierd. The food is cheap and good off red square with lots of little cafe's but for the most part, Russian culture is more inclined to entertain at home.

P.S. the most beautiful women in the world are in Moscow.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

For a man addicted to Brazilian music, I find this to be comic gold.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Moscow, is great. It will be light out until 11:00 at night which is kind of wierd. The food is cheap and good off red square with lots of little cafe's but for the most part, Russian culture is more inclined to entertain at home.

Wow! looking forward to it. Are there any acutal Russians on the board? Raj, send me some stickers, I will hustle up the Russians to invade the strut..

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    I was there for a few weeks a year or so back, and in Russia for nearly 2 months. Great city, but it can be a little intimidating at first; the people can be a bit stand-offish and the way things 'work' can be a little confusing.

Try and learn just a little bit of Russian and you will have a much easier time of it. 'hello' 'goodbye' 'thank you' 'do you speak English?'. If you just start jabbering away in English at someone they will probably just walk off or ignore you.

Getting around is easy, just use the metro - it goes everywhere and there is a train less than every 5 minutes. Late at night or if you head out of town just flag down any passing car, people are generally pretty happy to give you a lift if you hand over some roubles. This is common practice and quite safe.

As for records, there is plenty around. I wasn't really there to dig but managed to stumble across a few places. Not many western records for obvious reasons, but there is plenty of Russian/Soviet heat. I didn't really/still don't know enough about Russian raers to take advantage though.

If you want to know anything else hit me up.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    the most beautiful women in the world are in Moscow.

or maybe St. Petersburg.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    Heya,

Anyone here ever been to Moscow? I'm going there next week to DJ at this hotel for 2 weeks, wanna know what the country is like. Any tips or precautions to take??? I hear varing warnings from people and wanna know if it's as intense as people "make" it out to be...

Also, anyone know any record stores in Moscow. I have 15 days there.

And finally, if anyone knows what are some good russian records to cop, and if there are any pics could they post them??? I know the Melodiya Ensamble stuff, but that's about all right now....

Cheers!

B

I spent two weeks in Russia when I was 14 years old. I remember going to this record store in the basement of some massive Russian fortress where there were mad heaps of vinyl. Tons of wierd boots by western bands, cut outs for days. I was crazy back then and risked a lifetime in prison to deal in black market money but the exchange rate was 60 X the official rate at the time. After a few deals I was a true balleur with so much money I didn't really know what to do with it. I bought 50 or 60 copies of that Russian Paul McCartney record for like $10 total and sold them to some guy on the airplane back to the US for $700. A few years later Russian caught on and exported the record and the value colapsed.

There are mad records in Russia if you can find them....