Up on this?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Did they perform at that SXSW showcase in about '93 when Bushwick came out th'owin' shirts into the crowd? If so, they had a really annoying song with the hook: "Pop, pop, goes the weasel and my niiiiiiine/The Blac MONKS, The Blac MONKS."

Same dudes?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Or this?

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

Did they perform at that SXSW showcase in about '93 when Bushwick came out th'owin' shirts into the crowd? If so, they had a really annoying song with the hook: "Pop, pop, goes the weasel and my niiiiiiine/The Blac MONKS, The Blac MONKS."

Same dudes?

Same dudes.

You've never listened to the album???

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Damn, I thought I was the only person who owned these albums.

Or this?

Same dudes.

You've never listened to the album???

Come on, now. Do you really think that something like that would've fit into my backpack in 1993?

Their performance was really annoying, too. Which I think I already said, but it bears repeating.

Other highlights from that showcase:

Baby G doing his "takin' off my coat" routine.

Bushwick Bill's weird, tiny arms launching shirts 8 feet.

The Gravediggaz killing it (no pun intended).

Prince Paul's airbrushed denim jacket.

Or this?

Note: Good Life/Project Blowed artists on Rap-A-Lot circa '95 sporting a track titled "Kill Whitey".

Or this?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Is it blog certified?

Or this?

And, no, I've never heard it, but I do recall marvelling at the ads in The Source featuring the cover art for their follow-up effort:

Or this?

Note: Good Life/Project Blowed artists on Rap-A-Lot circa '95 sporting a track titled "Kill Whitey".

I have a Rap-A-Lot promo of the label's "hits" from about 1993 or so. It has "Mind Playin' Tricks," "Playa, Playa," "Sunshine" and a track by (I think) Menace Clan that, I must admit, I always thought sounded very Blowed.

Were they from LA or Houston?

Or this?

I have a Rap-A-Lot promo of the label's "hits" from about 1993 or so. It has "Mind Playin' Tricks," "Playa, Playa," "Sunshine" and a track by (I think) Menace Clan that, I must admit, I always thought sounded very Blowed.

LA.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    And, no, I've never heard it, but I do recall marvelling at the ads in The Source featuring the cover art for their follow-up effort:

Gotta be a Source favorite along with with the No Limit two-page ads.

Or this?

I was wrong; I believe I was thinking of DO OR DIE and it was a Rap-A-Lot "Hot Club Wax" EP.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Also A to the D the Renegade Jew.

You know you can tell Blac Monks are ill? They have an umlaut in their name. Over the "c," for some reason.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

bay-rap-nerd attack![/b]

You know you can tell Blac Monks are ill? They have an umlaut in their name. Over the "c," for some reason.

Briefly in vogue in rap circa 1996; the original issue of Reasonable Doubt had one over the "Y" in Jay-Z's name. [Shied]An obvious stylistic pilfering from the Black Monks.[/Shied]

I remember the Black Monks had a split page ad with Devin, who--I will not lie--I was not checking for back then [carpetbaggeurings revealed]. Half of the page was this shirtless oiled-up buddha of a rapper with a huge ring through his septum; the other half was a dude sitting on the toilet with his boxers around his ankles. I remember thinking, "This is definitely some other other."

• Or this?

• bay-rap-nerd attack![/b]

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

------

----- sound familiar?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Or this?

of course I am.

• [Shied]An obvious stylistic pilfering from the Black Monks.[/Shied]

I remember the Black Monks had a split page ad with Devin, who--I will not lie--I was not checking for back then [carpetbaggeurings revealed]. Half of the page was this shirtless oiled-up buddha of a rapper with a huge ring through his septum; the other half was a dude sitting on the toilet with his boxers around his ankles. I remember thinking, "This is definitely some other other."

Ha! This cracked me up.

[Shied]An obvious stylistic pilfering from the Black Monks Blue Oyster Cult.[/Shied]

Or this?

Or this?

But of course

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Briefly in vogue in rap circa 1996; the original issue of Reasonable Doubt had one over the "Y" in Jay-Z's name. [Shied]An obvious stylistic pilfering from the Black Monks.[/Shied]

Yes, the Great Umlauting of '96 was something I fully supported, though I knew it was bound to be short-lived.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Or this?

I went to high school with one of the dudes cousin. He was a fucking dickhead and at the time I wasn't even trying to fuck with anything that didn't sound NY-centric.

and these posts are super corny dude, they just scream ass-hurt. Stop trying to prove a point that no one cares about.