Your Daddy is rich and your Mama is good-lookin

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Summertime is one of my favourite 'standards' (is it considered a standard?) - my top versions are: George Benson - loose and summery, driving and tight Booker T and the MGs - so minimal, it's hardly thereSam Cooke - has a dark and sexy feel to it (this one is my favourite )Et vous?

Comments

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    Take that shit to the Waxidermy Show Tunes thread.

Seriously though, for a rock-oriented interpretation, I like the Zombies version. And yes, Sam Cooke's version is pretty damn great.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    at the risk of sounding white, i grew up on the Janis Joplin version so consequently is my personal favourite.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Clea Bradford's version is the best i've heard yet.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Lloyd Charmers

and Billy Stewart and another Haitian weirdo one I can't find right now

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

can this man do anything badly? i don't think i've heard a turd from him yet.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have a really good Billie Holiday version that I played at a wedding not long ago. Several people came up to ask about the song and to say how much they liked it.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    def billy stewart, but my fave by the post-specials FB3 (fun boy three)...

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    the johnny watson version is good too ...

• Dudes. The version on the Montreal album is so mellow and beautiful.

Al Green's version slays as well.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    one of the black jazz guys has a nice instrumental...calvin keys i think

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    one of the black jazz guys has a nice instrumental...calvin keys i think

I think maybe you mean Walter Bishop Jr.? GREAT version. He's done a few.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yes, thank you. the LP with his head taking up the whole album cover

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Klaus Wunderlich

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Klaus Wunderlich

MOODYLOOPZ!!!!!!!

I have a soft spot for the Free Design version as well. I like the change up.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Paul Horn does a REAL good one, believe it or not.

(Not on this album, but DAMN. Look at the guy zooming by on a magic carpet while communicating with whales!)

- J

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Billy Stewart had this one in his hip pocket. Definitely my fave of them all. Big Mama Thornton's comes in a close second - hers had this weird tango interlude, but despite a stiff, blaring horn section, the whole thing works.

Sam Cooke - has a dark and sexy feel to it (this one is my favourite )

Sam recorded this tune twice. The uptempo version is the one I'm feelin'.

Worst version: the doo-wop rendition by the Marcels (of "Blue Moon" fame). Their "Summertime" doesn't make the minor-key-to-major-key transition at the end of each verse ("hush, little baby, don't you cry"), and to me, that's the whole point of the thing. No transition, no song.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Richard Davis and Elvin Jones - Heavy Sounds LP Impulse 1967.

• Al Green's version slays as well.
    Plus all the ones Bassie listed..Also the Sarah Vaughn/Louis Armstrong version

lol - I can't really say which is more uptempo - they both ooooooze imo! One has some high-pitched Yma Sumach-type background vocals here and there and the other has more frequent male oooooing and woooooing in the back...are we talking about the same two?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    The Zombies version is my favorite! i also find The Residents' version amusing and fun.

that line is such a classic. i love the nod on Iggy's "Girls" off of New Values. i think the pixies may have referenced that line too on surfer rosa somewhere but i'm not positive

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Errol Walker "In These Times"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

lol - I can't really say which is more uptempo - they both ooooooze imo!

Well, the one with the group background vocals (see below) is fairly danceable, so that's what I mean by "uptempo." The Yma Sumac-backup vox version is dead slow like a funeral dirge (not a slam, BTW, just sayin').

One has some high-pitched Yma Sumach-type background vocals here and there and the other has more frequent male oooooing and woooooing in the back...are we talking about the same two?

Yes, sounds like we are. The version I was reppin' for had the "ooooing and wooooing in the back." And Sam starts out the jam by repeating "don't cry" before gettin' down to business and singin' his song.

The Yma Sumac-backup vox version is dead slow like a funeral dirge (not a slam, BTW, just sayin').

none taken - lol - you say funeral dirge, I say dark and sexy - are we calling the whole thing off?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Errol Walker "In These Times"

...although, now that I think about, I believe the lyric is refashioned as "Your daddy is poor, but your mama's good-looking"

• WAR - One G Plus Three

• Sam cooke is my favorite too

Also like The Shake Spears version of this tune (uptempo 1-2 beat),
    and charlie mingus..

• WAR - One G Plus Three

nice one.

also,

the standels.

and that bobby womack version with a whole lot of put something down on it thrown in from that red hot and gershwin joint froma few years back.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart

Billy Stewart