who sold their aapl when it was in the 90's

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
121.19 batches!!!!Hope you held out. I'd be kicking my own ass right now. It's gonna keep going up, I know it.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    wtf?

Are you saying old apple computers are worth money?

Please tell me I missunderstood that!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    ohhh.... shares?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Holdin strong.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    I'm wondering if I should sell some stocks.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    couple dudes I work with, hardcore mac heads, sold a while back, were talking yesterday about being kool-aid drinkers but still not having had enough faith, kicking themselves. Think they sold in the 30s in '02, that make sense?

Wish I had some of my own monopoly money to play with...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sheeyit, man - I'm still holdin' on to the shares I bought a few years back (don't remember the OG price but it wasn't as low as 20, definitely not as high as 90). I just bought more shares a few months back when it was in the low 90s and wifey has a grip of shares from when she was working for the company.

Of course, she left when we moved down to L.A. for my job.

Why must I cry?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Of course, she left when we moved down to L.A. for my job.

Why must I cry?

Wow, so the wifey who does not even want a ring... quit her job... with APPLE... so you could... move to LONG BEACH??? And teach???

That's some real dedication man!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    We bought some when it was in the 60s. Analysts are now saying that it'll split somewhere between 120 and...150. Yikes.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    there was a sharp drop a few weeks ago when they pushed back the release of the iphone. i almost bought a bunch, but it was still way too steep.

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
    We bought some when it was in the 60s. Analysts are now saying that it'll split somewhere between 120 and...150. Yikes.

And the husband wanted to drink the Kool-Aid when it hit the 90s, but the wife advised him to hold his damn horses.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    word to the wise, take the money and run. Bird in the hand is worth two in the BUSH. Biggest mistake people make is trying to hit the top of the market.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    there was a sharp drop a few weeks ago when they pushed back the release of the iphone. i almost bought a bunch, but it was still way too steep.

Wasn't the "push back" a hoax?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    hahah hell yes... I bought a grip at $38/ a share, it went nuts and then split and now its back up to where it was when it split last time... PLEASE SPLIT AGAIN!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Apple shares are for little dudes.

I'm chilling with Bershire Hathaway Stock.

My grandpa was college buddy's with Warren Buffet.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Apple shares are for little dudes.

I would think an owner of Berkshire Hathaway would at least know how to spell it.

fnsr

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

psshhh on your class B stock. You only got that 1/200th of a voting right.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I saw Warren Buffet on Charlie Rose the other night. Really interesting dude, but greed can still be draped in liberal facade.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    so why does anyone think a split is a good thing? It does not change any of the ratios

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    so why does anyone think a split is a good thing? It does not change any of the ratios

from wiki:

It is often claimed that stock splits, in and of themselves, lead to higher stock prices; however, research does not bear this out. What is true is that stock splits are usually initiated after a large run up in share price. Momentum investing would suggest that such a trend would continue regardless of the stock split.

Other effects could be psychological. If many investors think that a stock split will result in an increased share price and therefore purchase the stock, the share price will tend to increase. Others contend that the management of a company, by initiating a stock split, is implicitly conveying its confidence in the future prospects of the company.

Because all the folks watching aapl, wishing they had bought when it was low, or kicking themselves for selling at $90 will buy hella shares once it splits and share prices drop significantly from c.$140 to a much more affordable price. A buying frenzy will ensue and that's good for investors.

So when it splits get yours.

aapl has been a consistently reliable stock (read: low risk) for awhile now and investors know it.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Because all the folks watching aapl, wishing they had bought when it was low, or kicking themselves for selling at $90 will buy hella shares once it splits and share prices drop significantly from c.$140 to a much more affordable price. A buying frenzy will ensue and that's good for investors.

aapl has been a consistently reliable stock (read: low risk) for awhile now and investors know it.

I would just like to publicly acknowledge this post.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    A stock doesn't even have to split, it can just keep going and going. Google anyone?

I would just like to publicly acknowledge this post.

Is that cool?

• I'm wondering if I should sell some stocks.

hey, i mean you can't go wrong booking some money, but i'll be honest ... all of us are pretty awestruck by what stocks have been up to. it's some completely parabolic shit, although they're starting to show some weakness due to higher interest rates - some of the enthusiasm was predicated on low rates and expected rate cuts, which is going away with a quickness. treasuries were in the vicinity of 4.50 and are making a b-line to 5% (close today around 4.95) .. i know that doesn't sound like shit to a lot of people but that's a seismic shift. it means that the liquidity spigot might get tightened up a little bit. bigger picture, everything is chugging along, especially with europe looking so strong and the emerging markets killing it in spite of the recent developments in china. objectively there isn't much reason to "pick the top" and blaze out of your stocks right now because the charts are still intact and you're not seeing big reactions to the downside yet - ordinarily stocks would have been going great guns on a day like today if not for the bond market, but the change on the day was pretty negligible and nothing to worry about if you're bullish ... it could have been better, sure, but when take a step back the economic data is bearing out the enthusiasm to a degree. it's a matter of balancing out the capital flows such that the markets catch up to each other, so to speak. i'm not sure if i'd be aggressively ramping up the portfolio size just yet or hitting bids to get out ... but i'd keep a close eye on non-domestic markets to give the first wink of when it might be time to take cover. put it this way - if your cost basis is shaky (ie. initiated positions within the last 2-4 months) and some exogenous shit starts to drag the US down i wouldn't try to be a cowboy. looking long-term, though, you've got to think that with growth going the way it is and inflation staying steady the bigger picture isn't going to change without some serious shit going down. right now it's a buy and hold kind of environment.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    DEAL

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I bought at $74 like a year ago but sold when it hit $85. It was the first time I ever bought stocks. Doh!